Banned x 2

Banned x 2

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FL

Moves
01 Jan 07

I went on holiday to Goa on the 9th Dec and the internet cafe I intended to use had closed down since my last visit. Therefore I fully expected to come back to two loses against MerchantParkPro and one against TouaregNew. Instead I find that MerchantParkPro got banned just before he could time me out, and that TouaregNew accepted my draw offer (and then got banned for cheating a week or so later).

I had my suspicions about TouaregNew. The way he finished me off in our first game when I was losing but still had chances (or so I thought!) was nothing short of amazing. In our drawn game he was again clearly better, but then just shuffled his pieces around for thirty moves or so.

H
Renouned Grob Killer

Moves
01 Jan 07

You were seriously going to let MPP time you out?

w
Steve B.

Salt Lake City

Moves
01 Jan 07

Got any games going against Talent?

T

Moves
01 Jan 07

YES!

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

s

Moves
01 Jan 07

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I went on holiday to Goa on the 9th Dec and the internet cafe I intended to use had closed down since my last visit. Therefore I fully expected to come back to two loses against MerchantParkPro and one against TouaregNew. Instead I find that MerchantParkPro got banned just before he could time me out, and that TouaregNew accepted my draw offer (and then got ...[text shortened]... me he was again clearly better, but then just shuffled his pieces around for thirty moves or so.
if you were away you probably missed talent2's 'outragous' thread which has now been deleted saying RHP were wrong and this is no way to treat an undefeated player etc etc etc

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 Jan 07
1 edit

I went on holiday to Goa on the 9th Dec and the internet cafe I intended to use had closed down since my last visit. Therefore I fully expected to come back to two loses against MerchantParkPro and one against TouaregNew. Instead I find that MerchantParkPro got banned just before he could time me out, and that TouaregNew accepted my draw offer (and then got ...[text shortened]... me he was again clearly better, but then just shuffled his pieces around for thirty moves or so.
WARNING!!

Don't play Fat Lady!

You will be banned!

Don't say you were not warned

Game 2554028 was interesting. Nothing seems to happen after move 47. I can't understand why TouareqNew made numerous pointless moves. Did he not offer or want to accept a draw as it was obviously he had no winning plan when I would expect a human to concede the draw early in the day (unless FL was trying to win this of course). Maybe this is the sort of play that defines engine abuse.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 Jan 07

Originally posted by stevetodd
if you were away you probably missed talent2's 'outragous' thread which has now been deleted saying RHP were wrong and this is no way to treat an undefeated player etc etc etc
I'm glad that went. I messed up my posting and got everything back to front. Embarassing! Meant to edit it but had to go out and everything gone when I got back.

At least now no one else can read me talking nonsense (although I'm sure I'll achieve that elsewhere)

FL

Moves
01 Jan 07

It was a strange ending to Game 2554028. I thought he was better, but he didn't seem to have a plan and he turned down a couple of draw offers. He blundered a pawn near the end (not something that engines normally do!) and so when I offered a draw again he accepted.

I was annoyed that MerchantParkPro was going to be able to win both of our games on timeout, but I wasn't prepared to waste any of my holiday looking for another internet cafe. He'd actually outplayed me in one game and looked well on his way to a win. I thought I was slightly better in the other.

s

Moves
01 Jan 07

It was a strange ending to Game 2554028. I thought he was better, but he didn't seem to have a plan and he turned down a couple of draw offers. He blundered a pawn near the end (not something that engines normally do!) and so when I offered a draw again he accepted.

I was annoyed that MerchantParkPro was going to be able to win both of our games on ...[text shortened]... n one game and looked well on his way to a win. I thought I was slightly better in the other.
Maybe he knew he was under suspicion and had stopped using an engine? I'm not sure if people are told they are being investigated? but that would explain playing without aplan and blundering a pawn away.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 Jan 07

I was annoyed that MerchantParkPro was going to be able to win both of our games on ...[text shortened]... n one game and looked well on his way to a win. I thought I was slightly better in the other.
Was there a better alternative 82nd move? Fritz might have decided giving up a pawn was best option. You could probably play for a win now although a perpetual would always be on the cards for him.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
01 Jan 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Don't play Fat Lady!

You will be banned!
You think he's bad?

Draws against players later banned (some less than a week later):
Game 1323257
Game 1421826
Game 1456536
Game 1228262
Game 1456749 Game 1435835
Game 1321133 Game 1223474 Game 1141521
Game 1387791 Game 1387790
Game 1421826
Game 1885088

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You think he's bad?

Draws against players later banned (some less than a week later):
Game 1323257
Game 1421826
Game 1456536
Game 1228262
Game 1456749 Game 1435835
Game 1321133 Game 1223474 Game 1141521
Game 1387791 Game 1387790
Game 1421826
Game 1885088
All before my time.

Its amazing! So many engine abusers, all of course with high ratings.

What is the point of it? When you are annonymous what satisfaction is there to it. The joy is the look on you opponents face when you pulled off an amazing cheapo OTB and that round of drinks your team mates stand you for pulling the team out of the fire, again!

There is pleasure basking in the glory of your achievements with real people who know who you are. Getting to 2800 by using Fritz is not an achievment at all. In fact its a sad waste of time - I feel sorry for these people who will never experience the thrill of real chess.

P.S. Fortunately there are a lot of decent genuine chess players out there but I have 2 or 3 of my opponents who I expect to see banned sooner or later as their play was simply too perfect. Against humans I always feel there was a point I had a chance to win or at least draw (no matter how good they were) if only I'd managed to grasp it. Against engine abusers I never feel that way as they never make even the smallest tactical slip (every move is too perfect)

d

1. e4!!

Moves
01 Jan 07

Maybe his fritz never studied the endgame.

z

Moves
01 Jan 07

Is it a coincident that bar Bedlam none of the >2000 players here participates in chess discussions. If you've ever been around OTB players of any ability (note I said this advisably) they are quick to share their ideas/thought processes. In OTB chess there is always someone you can learn from and someone who can learn from you.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 Jan 07

Originally posted by z00t
Is it a coincident that bar Bedlam none of the >2000 players here participates in chess discussions. If you've ever been around OTB players of any ability (note I said this advisably) they are quick to share their ideas/thought processes. In OTB chess there is always someone you can learn from and someone who can learn from you.
I do tend toward the feeling that constructive and intelligent contributions to the forum, in game messages and analysis, etc points towards "real" players of a reasonable strength and mitigates against them being engine users but does the lack of such activity indicate the opposite. A strong player may not make such contributions because, for example, their English is bad or perhaps they simply do not have the time. There is no obligation to make such contributions after all.