Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member mipmcpt
    manchester clan
    02 Apr '06 20:12
    I have just started with chess again after a break,my rating reflects that!

    any thoughts on really good books for me to start to improve my ratings?

    and how have others improved?

    thanks
  2. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    02 Apr '06 20:21
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    I have just started with chess again after a break,my rating reflects that!

    any thoughts on really good books for me to start to improve my ratings?

    and how have others improved?

    thanks
    "Judgement and planning in chess" by Max Euwe (ISBN 0-7134-8436-5) is a really good book; easy to understand and really helpful in covering topics every player should know.
  3. 02 Apr '06 20:51
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    I have just started with chess again after a break,my rating reflects that!

    any thoughts on really good books for me to start to improve my ratings?

    and how have others improved?

    thanks
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=39309&page=2

    page 2 half way down, I posted my advice on how to get to 1400 on here.

    Then page 12 on planning.

    As for books, I recommend the 6 or 7 Yasser Seirwan winning chess series books. Also, logical chess move by move by Irving Chernev.
  4. 04 Apr '06 05:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    As for books, I recommend the 6 or 7 Yasser Seirwan winning chess series books. Also, logical chess move by move by Irving Chernev.[/b]
    Not that I'm strong player, but these books are really good to learn how to play chess. Highly recommended.
  5. 04 Apr '06 05:54
    Logical Chess Move by Move by Chernev should be every player's second chess book, right after any good primer such as Chess for Dummies, The Simon and Shuster Pocket Book of Chess, or (preferably) Play Winning Chess by Yasser Seirawan. Follow these with Seirawan's Winning Chess Tactics, then pick up a decent puzzle book and work through 10 or so tactics puzzles a day.
  6. 05 Apr '06 04:24
    i think a great one for a beginner like your self would be "How to Beat your Dad at Chess" its written in a super easy to read format. Its got the 50 most famous checkmate patterns. Ok so what, right? Well these arn't just any random checkmates the creteria for the book was that these have to be reaquiring patterns in regular games. Plus their all named. Good 1200 book in my opinion. Can anyone dispute that?
  7. 05 Apr '06 06:19
    Originally posted by estonian3
    i think a great one for a beginner like your self would be "How to Beat your Dad at Chess" its written in a super easy to read format. Its got the 50 most famous checkmate patterns. Ok so what, right? Well these arn't just any random checkmates the creteria for the book was that these have to be reaquiring patterns in regular games. Plus their all named. Good 1200 book in my opinion. Can anyone dispute that?
    No, but I can agree with it.
  8. 05 Apr '06 10:09
    "Better Chess for Average Players"
    Tim Harding
    http://tinyurl.com/nm7k4

    MC also in Manchester, with sunshine and a far below
    average BCF ranking !
  9. 05 Apr '06 13:00
    I am of the opinion that 1200 is the right time for both light tactic training (reifelds 1001 winning chess combinations) and some general strategy.

    Do you know your basic mates, if not, learn them.

    Once you know your mates, do 5-10 tactic puzzles a day and start reading either My System by Nimzovich or Reacess your Chess by Silman. The strategy books are less important than the tactics but 15-30 minutes a day of careful study is how I got to where I am (I skipped the tactics and now find it to be very important).