1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 18:12
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    ... but I think it can also be beneficial to consider the opinions of chess instructors like Dan and the mainstream book reviewers.
    Heisman's books themselves are also very good.
    Looking for trouble & Back to Basics: Chess Tactics are 2 of my personal faves.
    He packs so many nuggets of useful information in & it's done in such an easily digested & unstuffy way.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 19:01
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Best Chess Book: "Logical Chess: Move by Move", by Irving Chernev. This is the only chess book that I would put in the "must read" category for any player rated under 1600. It will teach you how to "think chess!"
    and probably the only book everyone will agree on. 🙂
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 19:03
    Originally posted by wormwood
    and probably the only book everyone will agree on. 🙂
    Essential & fun.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 19:451 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Heisman's books themselves are also very good.
    Looking for trouble & Back to Basics: Chess Tactics are 2 of my personal faves.
    He packs so many nuggets of useful information in & it's done in such an easily digested & unstuffy way.
    I also have Dan's tactics book, and I also like it a lot. If you're going to go the book route for tactics study, I think you need several well-chosen tactics books. But I definitely would recommend that Dan's book be one of them.
  5. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 19:521 edit
    Technique for the Tournament Player by Mark Dvoretsky.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 20:13
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    [b]Technique for the Tournament Player by Mark Dvoretsky.[/b]
    i'd put that in my must read column as well. good addition petro.
  7. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 20:25
    My 2 favourites are:

Middlegame: Judgement and Planning in Chess - Max Euwe

General: Rapid Chess improvement - Michael de la Maza (chesscafe has part of the book)
  8. Joined
    06 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 02:24
    To everyone that is adding input here I greatly appreciate all the information and opinions!
  9. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 03:31
    [size=150]Hierarchy of References[/size]

This is a list of essential publications listed in the order, from top to bottom, that they should be studied. This list requires that you have prerequisites in order. A list of this nature would have saved me a lot of time reading and re-reading many books throughout my lifetime.

:!:

References

* Pandolfini's Endgame Course is first step. You must learn how to deliver checkmate.

* In Mastering Chess Danny Kopec gives you several mating patterns. You must learn to coordinate your pieces. These examples explain how to do so.

* Jeremy Silman will then take you on a journey in Silman's Complete Endgame Course teaching you the essential knowledge necessary to achieve each class level ranging from an Elo of 1200 - 2200. Silman is a master of words. His material, unlike Dvoretsky, is very easy to understand. He avoids a lot of material concentrating only on the essential information you need at each level. While I may not have learned more from this book than any other I think it is by far the best chess book ever written for the majority of chess players. See, you have to understand, as you get better and better there are fewer and fewer players at that level. So if you are a writer you will make more money if you write for players less than 1700. As you get better the stuff you need the most is not in print -- it's in the games of grandmasters. I'll say this -- you can learn more from Jeremy Silman in 30 minutes than you could learn from any other writer in 5 hours.

* Practical Chess Endings by Irving Chernov presents lots of endgame studies composed by Nikalai (Nikolay) Dmitrievich Grigoriev, and many of the brilliant studies by Luigi Centurini who formulated the principles of bishop endings. The format of this book is the best I've ever seen for chess problems. It has one diagram per page, history about the problem, and then it tests your skills in finding the answer. I tried reading this book several times before reading the books mentioned above. Each time I'd get a few pages into it and then abandon the project. I couldn't understand how anyone could actually calculate moves in problems of such depth as the one solved by the Spanish priest F. Saavedra, or even what I now consider basic position like the Lucena Position, or the Philidor Position (which ironically is not listed in this book). I keep this book with me almost everywhere I go. I really didn't appreciate studies until I read this book. Now, I understand the importance of learning the information. We have to learn from studies, grandmaster games, our own games (why we lost), and from frequent position that you will find in almost any endgame book. Each of these sources provides a different type of information, but each is important and you will find information presented from each of these sources in your own games after you understand their importance.

* Test Your Positional Play teaches you how to think and tests your middlegame skills in planning. Don't even pick this book up if you haven't read the books listed above, but once you have read them then you are ready to learn how to think. It's all about evaluating positions, setting objectives, formulating plans, and validating those plans.

* After you have read Bellin and Ponzetto's book and have a basic understanding of how to think you need to subscribe to GM Gabriel Schwartzman's publications on-line called the Internet Chess Academy. He presents some of his own games, and many famous games played throughout history teaching you how to think, how to plan, and how to solve problems on the board. Anatoly Karpov, Lev Albert, and many other GMs publish articles in this series as guest columnists. It is a great collection. I wish it was also published in book form.

* Technique for the Tournament Player by Mark Dvoretsky teaches you how to study the endgame. He dedicates an entire chapter to the study of a single endgame: Capablanca - Alekhine, 1924. He expands on Centurini's rules for handling bishops of opposite color and reveals secrets of same color bishop endings that he discovered as a chess trainer. He has trained Kasparov, Anand, Topalov, Bareev, Lautier, Van Wely, Yusupov and many more. In this book Dvoretsky teaches you the lessons he taught several students who became Junior World Champions.

* The Endgame Manual by Mark Dvoretsky is a great source of material, but it is a reference material. I've tried to sit down and read it. I can do it if I study only a page or two a day, but I can't read it through and through. It is filled with some of the greatest analysis on the endgame I've ever seen. Everyone need a copy of this book within arms reach. Just don't expect it to read like an Erle Stanley Gardner novel. If some of you don't know, he was the guy who created Perry Mason. He was so prolific that sometimes he wrote more than one novel in a single day. He was a lawyer who had a staff of secretaries. Sometimes he would just sit around and dictate story lines all day long. John Grisham, originally from Black Oak Arkansas, is the modern day Erle Stanley Gardner -- just not as prolific. Two things came from Black Oak: Jim Dandy and John Grisham. There are so many things that come from this book ... you'll just have to get a copy to know what I mean.

:wink:

* This list is incomplete. It will take time to finish.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 03:57
    [size=150][b]Hierarchy of References[/size]

This is a list of essential publications listed in the order, from top to bottom, that they should be studied. This list requires that you have prerequisites in order. A list of this nature would have saved me a lot of time reading and re-reading many books throughout my lifetime.

Refe ...[text shortened]...

erm...

/announcement

anybody? this needs to become static somewhere.
  11. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 08:37
    [size=150][b]Hierarchy of References[/size]

Refe ...[text shortened]...

usefull advices...I was really wandering what to read, Silman's endgames book or Dvoresky's manual...
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 23:13
    Chess for zebras (J Rowson).
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 23:14
    Originally posted by Stephane
    Chess for zebras (J Rowson).
    whats "Chess for zebras" contain?
  14. Joined
    20 Mar '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 02:081 edit
    Originally posted by CEE DOG
    What is the Best openings book?
    What is the Best endgame book?
    What is the Best middlegame book?

Thanks,
    That's very subjective question everyone will give you a different answer and their own opinion so I'll give you my suggestions:

The Game of Chess by Siegbert Tarrasch (1987 Dover Edition)

This is one of the best books on Chess I have ever read it teaches system in a very clear way that's easy to follow the first part of the book deals with the elements about 40 different positions, the next part of the book he teaches the endgame, the middle game, the opening is saved for the last part of his book for $11 this book is a bargain for beginners it's highly instructive.

Basic Chess Endgames by Reuben Fine

A massive book on the Endgame it's been completely revised and brought up to date by Pal Benko if your serious about studying the endgame excellent as a reference tool.

The Middle Game in Chess by Znosko-Borovsky

An excellent book I got this one when i was 14 years old my copy is very worn and a bit torn, it's still standard reading and recommended by the Dvoretsky school because the principles taught in his book are still relevant, space, time, material balance, open lines and Tempo.
  15. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 04:322 edits
    Hierarchy of References

This is a list of essential publications This list requires that you have prerequisites in order.
    * Pandolfini's Endgame Course is first step. You must learn how to deliver checkmate.

* The Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual

* This list is incomplete. It will take time to finish.[/b]
    Mostly, completely agree, but EVERYONE seems to recommend Pandolfini, and yet I found that book completely useless. I really feel that I got very little out of it, and everything therein was also in better endgame books, which actually did more explaining.

Also calling Dvoretsky's manual a "Reference Book" seems a bit much. Fine's Endings might be a reference, but Dvoretsky's is more designed to study all the way through. It definitely is pretty dense, but much material relies on earlier things, and a lot of it is explanation of technique (haven't finished it yet, but this is my impression). You can't sit down and read it, true, but it seems more something to play out over the board over the course of a few months rather than something to look up endgames in as a quick reference. Anyway great book, the only one I have a problem with is Pandolfini.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree