1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 15:404 edits
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    My oh my! Good thing you are teaching what science is all about since I'm obviously lost at this issue. 🙄

Perhaps you wanna read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Science-What-Means/dp/052177229X
    This isn't about how research is conducted to arrive at a plausible theory, it is about actually establishing what a theory is and when ideas achieve this status. It's not like in common language where it is no more than an educated guess and it certainly isn't decided by one person. As a science student, I understand very well what it means and Berliner's use of the term theory is ridiculous in the context of science.
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 16:10
    With all due respect: This post is not about what science is or is not.
    Please stick to the topic.
    Thanks again
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 16:291 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    This isn't about how research is conducted to arrive at a plausible theory, it is about actually establishing what a theory is and when ideas achieve this status. It's not like in common language where it is no more than an educated guess and it certainly isn't decided by one person. As a science student, I understand very well what it means and Berliner's use of the term theory is ridiculous in the context of science.
    As a science practioner and former science student I advise you to read that book. I too was a science student and most views that I had at the time were wrong but I had a really terrific teacher and saw how wrong I was.

Your view of science/theory is still very much 18th, 19th century but times and practics has changed.

Sorry CEE DOG I guess that if exigentsky wants we can make a thread on this on the science forum. My advice is for you to study tactics and read something like "Logical Chess Move by Move". Then focus on more restrained books. And a little of endgame knowledge won't hurt you so if you want join the PCT program.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 16:52
    As a science practioner and former science student I advise you to read that book. I too was a science student and most views that I had at the time were wrong but I had a really terrific teacher and saw how wrong I was.

Your view of science/theory is still very much 18th, 19th century but times and practics has changed.

Sorry CEE DOG I guess tha ...[text shortened]... books. And a little of endgame knowledge won't hurt you so if you want join the PCT program.
    Taking the arrogant position that if one disagrees with you, he must be misinformed or backwards will gain you nothing. We clearly disagree on what constitutes a scientific theory and I will leave it at that. This isn't a productive discussion. Let's get back on track.
  5. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 17:07
    Avoid any instruction book whose title contains the words "Russians"or "Secrets" If it contains both, then definitely avoid it.
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 19:28
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Taking the arrogant position that if one disagrees with you, he must be misinformed or backwards will gain you nothing. We clearly disagree on what constitutes a scientific theory and I will leave it at that. This isn't a productive discussion. Let's get back on track.
    So Berliner has some ideas that disagree with yours and he's arrogant. I have some ideas that disagree with yours and I'm arrogant... I was realy trying to be helpfull and I 'll tell you again that your idea of scienific theory is wrong.

I gave you a resource so that you can learn and see why it is wrong. You are indeed misinformed and backwards and there's nothing wrong with that (or at least very wrong). Now not wanting to learn a thing is very wrong in my view.

This is my final stance in this issue and I don't really mind if you take me as arrogant.

Sorry, CEE DOG this was my last thread hijacking.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 19:42
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Avoid any instruction book whose title contains the words "Russians"or "Secrets" If it contains both, then definitely avoid it.
    I understand your frustration over book titles that use hackneyed words or phrases, but I think you might be overreacting a bit. I think there are a number of chess books with "Secret" in the title that just happen to be good instructional books. (Probably a lot of bad ones, too.) The fact that the word "Secret" is overused in titles doesn't make the content of good books any less desirable. No instructional titles with the word "Russian" come to mind at the moment, so I'm not sure about that one. (Are there any instructional books with both Secret and Russian in the title? Maybe I'll do a little searching. 🙂)

I don't know a lot about the chess book publishing business, but from what I've heard, the author doesn't always have total control over the choice of the book title.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:311 edit
    So Berliner has some ideas that disagree with yours and he's arrogant. I have some ideas that disagree with yours and I'm arrogant... I was realy trying to be helpfull and I 'll tell you again that your idea of scienific theory is wrong.

I gave you a resource so that you can learn and see why it is wrong. You are indeed misinformed and backwards and eally mind if you take me as arrogant.

Sorry, CEE DOG this was my last thread hijacking.
    Yes, the disagreement is why I consider you and Berliner arrogant at times. Everyone I disagree with is arrogant. That's a wonderful strawman and mischaracterization. It's really no use talking to you if you take these tangential combative and intellectually dishonest stances (or don't read).
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 20:271 edit
    Most chessplayers will derive some benefit from reading almost any chess book. The key point though, is that we do not have an infinite amount of time to read all of these books. Therefore, we limit our reading to those books from which we will (hopefully) derive maximum benefit and that subset of books will vary for each person depending upon present ability level, personality, learning style, etc.. Of course no one is completely successful at choosing the optimal set of books for them, but clearly some people are more successful than others.

I have perused Berliner's book "The System", though I have not read it cover-to-cover. IMO, the book is not without value, but hardly enough to recommend it over hundreds of other superior books, many of which are considered classics. "The System" does not merit a listing on this thread.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 22:401 edit
    Originally posted by buddy2
    The worst chess book that I ever bought: Chess Secrets Revealed by Fred Reinfeld.

On the other hand, an excellent book IMO is The Russians Play Chess by Irving Chernev.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree