1. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 18:12
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Mostly, completely agree, but EVERYONE seems to recommend [b]Pandolfini, and yet I found that book completely useless. I really feel that I got very little out of it, and everything therein was also in better endgame books, which actually did more explaining.

Also calling Dvoretsky's manual a "Reference Book" seems a bit much. Fine's En ...[text shortened]... k reference. Anyway great book, the only one I have a problem with is Pandolfini.[/b]
    pandolfini's books are geared towards the novice chess player. anyone above 1200 rhp rating will find pandolfini's books too elementary.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 22:07
    Originally posted by Aristolle
    The Game of Chess by Siegbert Tarrasch (1987 Dover Edition)

This is one of the best books on Chess I have ever read it teaches system in a very clear way that's easy to follow the first part of the book deals with the elements about 40 different positions, the next part of the book he teaches the endgame, the middle game, the opening is saved for the last part of his book for $11 this book is a bargain for beginners it's highly instructive.
    "The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch is a GREAT book, IMO. It could very well be the absolutely BEST textbook on chess ever written.

Although it will cost you about twice as much as the Dover version, I would recommend the edition put out by Hays Publishing. It is in algebraic notation, and has more and easier to read diagrams than the Dover edition. Also, the moves are in bold type, while the text is in regular type.

Either edition is great, though.
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 23:29
    Thanks to everyone for there imput so far! Also thank you for the links.
  4. Rural Ontario
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 02:29
    My favs!

Opening books are all a matter of taste and what you play so I'll leave those alone...

Middlegame: The Amateur's Mind by Jeremy Silman

Endgame: Karsten Mueller's 4 DVD set from chessbase. http://www.classicalgames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=002174&Category_Code=S
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 03:56
    I have a nice collection of mostly pristine chess books. Only two of them are dog-eared, tattered and grubby: "Think Like A Grandmaster" & "Play Like A Grandmaster" by Alexander Kotov. They've certainly had the most profound influence on my mental approach to the game.
  6. Joined
    20 Mar '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 19:274 edits
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    "The Game of Chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch is a GREAT book, IMO. It could very well be the absolutely BEST textbook on chess ever written.

Although it will cost you about twice as much as the Dover version, I would recommend the edition put out by Hays Publishing. It is in algebraic notation, and has more and easier to read diagrams than the Dover ...[text shortened]... moves are in bold type, while the text is in regular type.

Either edition is great, though.
    The only part that's very stale is the opening section I didn't know where to start looking when it came to buying modern books on the opening because there are so many of them I ordered Yasser Seirawans Winning Chess Openings and Ruben Fines the ideas behind the Chess Openings.
  7. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 21:11
    Originally posted by Aristolle
    The only part that's very stale is the opening section I didn't know where to start looking when it came to buying modern books on the opening because there are so many of them I ordered Yasser Seirawans Winning Chess Openings and Ruben Fines the ideas behind the Chess Openings.
    I don't like Seirawan's book. All he does is advise his opening repertoire and goes into not much detail on that repertoire.
  8. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 21:34
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Here are my personal favorites in each category:

Best middlegame book: "Point Count Chess", by I. A. Horowitz and Geoffrey Mott-Smith. The book is long out-of-print, is hard to find, and is usually expensive on those rare occasions when you do find it. Having said that, the book is worth every penny because it shows you how to evaluate almost any middlegame position and helps you to come up with a reasonable plan.
    Funny enough, I've been thinking of posting something about this book. Someone gave it to me over 25 years ago and I always pooh poohed the idea of point counting as not being terribly useful and never read it. I still have my doubts about point counting, but I've spent some time over the last few months going through it and there is indeed excellent middle game material covering a lot of ground particularly pawn formations in a lot of depth while being readable. Old notation, though, but certainly worth picking up if you can.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 21:41
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    I don't like Seirawan's book. All he does is advise his opening repertoire and goes into not much detail on that repertoire.
    I read most of "Winning Chess Openings", and if I recall correctly only about 1/3 of the book is devoted to his suggested repertoire (the King's Indian Attack, the King's Indian Defense and the Pirc Defense). Most of the book discusses basic opening strategy and how those strategies are utilized in the major openings played by tournament players today.

There's no deep analysis in the book at all. The book I think would be appropriate for players rated under 1400.
  10. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 22:121 edit
    Well, "The System" got me playing 1. d4.

Edit: I'm still on the first phases of it though. Maybe I'll change my mind after I read it all.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 23:18
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Well, "The System" got me playing 1. d4.

Edit: I'm still on the first phases of it though. Maybe I'll change my mind after I read it all.
    LOL, maybe it did. However, it's not exactly an objective book and it probably has some of the worst reviews you will find. I'd suggest reading it with a HUGE grain of salt.
  12. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 23:47
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    LOL, maybe it did. However, it's not exactly an objective book and it probably has some of the worst reviews you will find. I'd suggest reading it with a HUGE grain of salt.
    It is an interesting read. Of course I don't know if the Benoni really is busted but at least this guy makes us think a lot. I think that a serious study from that book can bring a lot of improvement to stronger players than I am.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 03:35
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I'd be amazed if as much as 10% of books that recommend this or that opening are "objective." Having said that, I haven't noticed any 2600-players following Berliner's advice and having their ratings skyrocket to 2700. Maybe 2600-players just don't recognize a good thing when they see it.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 04:242 edits
    It was an understatement. In any case, The System is not an opening book. It is a grandiose "scientific theory" of chess as valid as the "theory of gravity or evolution." Berliner just happens to use openings as examples.

As for 2600+ players nor realizing the genius of "The System," I doubt that's why they're not using it. The book has been known and analyzed countless times. Now, I doubt any player of master strength would take this book completely seriously. A lot of the "system moves" are just not that good. f3 against the Slav or Benko are merely a few examples. Even if they wanted to, Berliner offers no way to use his system. It is essentially just moves he likes suddenly being called "system moves." There is no system. Still, there are some good ideas in the book. For example, the idea of maximum flexibility (despite advocating it, he doesn't apply it much).
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 04:33
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    I have a nice collection of mostly pristine chess books. Only two of them are dog-eared, tattered and grubby: "Think Like A Grandmaster" & "Play Like A Grandmaster" by Alexander Kotov. They've certainly had the most profound influence on my mental approach to the game.
    thanks for your post !

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree