1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 14:28
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    Thanks for that; I've looked at the website and it does actually look quite interesting. I may even give it an outing sometime on RHP!
    Kalhornov is right - it was written by a GM called Bezgodov. With my limited Russian I know that 'bez' means 'without'. I'm just wondering what 'godov' might mean!?
    Without annual?
  2. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 14:47
    Years?
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 19:32
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    Do you have any books to recomend? I thought about the everyman book abuot the 1.f4 but I've heard that it's rather bad... Do you play the polobear setup in the Bird?
    My favorite book on Bird's Opening is the "Bird-Larsen Attack (2nd ed.)" by GM Andrew Soltis.

Usually White gets in the following moves: 1 f4 2 b3 3 Bb2 4 Nf3 5 e3 6 KB somewhere 7 O-O.

Could somebody please tell me what the polobear(sic?) setup is? Thanks.

IM Tim Taylor plays the Bird frequently and has written a book about it called, appropriately, "Bird's Opening."
  4. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    14 Jul '07 00:41
    What about the Hippo defense?
    No matter what white plays, black plays ...g6, ...f6, and ...Nh6 as his first three moves (the order depends on white's opening)

I've never tried it but apparently it's ok
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '07 10:55
    Originally posted by yofidawg
    No matter what white plays, black plays ...g6, ...f6, and ...Nh6 as his first three moves (the order depends on white's opening)

I play the double fianchetto prep-moves 1...g6, 2...b6 first after, typically 1.e4, 2.d4.
    Then often they play 3.Bc4 & 3...Bb7 (attacking e4)
    4.Nc3 - developing/defending
    4...Bg7
    then I look to play the e6/d6, Ne7/Nd7 moves.

Works very well in blitz as white often has to spend time thinking early on & sometimes forgets the double fianchetto & hangs a piece or pawn.
    I found it hard work playing it with longer time controls though (you can get in a real mess & problems getting your heavy pieces active at all) & it is the definition of passivism!
  6. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 16:48
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    My favorite book on Bird's Opening is the "Bird-Larsen Attack (2nd ed.)" by GM Andrew Soltis.

Usually White gets in the following moves: 1 f4 2 b3 3 Bb2 4 Nf3 5 e3 6 KB somewhere 7 O-O.

Could somebody please tell me what the polobear(sic?) setup is? Thanks.

IM Tim Taylor plays the Bird frequently and has written a book about it called, appropriately, "Bird's Opening."
    Well it is played by the Icelandic GM Danielsen. Check out his website http://www.videochess.net/ very recomended. I would be interested what you think about his games and what you think is the best way of meeting it. Thanks! //BV
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 20:17
    Originally posted by yofidawg

A very enjoyable book is "The Hippopotamus Rises" by IM Andrew Martin. It contains a lot of annotated games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree