1. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 19:36
    I can only speak from my own experience.

Around 2000 was when I first started playing online chess. After my first blitz tournament win i was hooked. I even booked holidays from work so I could play a whole marathon on ICC. Total madness.

It was also around 2000 that my OTB rating stopped going up and started a slow decline that continues to this day. Was that a coincidence? I think not. I stopped getting my chess board out and would just login instead. So the only time I seen a real chess piece was in the OTB tournaments I entered a few times a year. Today I don't have a chess board in my house. Even most non players have some kind of set kicking about.

I know it is all my own fault, but I want to blame it on something else, so I blame the internet. I it wasn't for the internet I would be World Champion by now and married to Mrs Anand.
  2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 19:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Sure, it's preferable to avoid time pressure, but it's unrealistic to think that you can avoid it every game. Will you not match a large investment of thinking time by your opponent in a tricky position out of fear of falling into a later time scramble? I'd rather be able to match the time and know I can still hang with him when we're under 5 minutes.
    Speaking as a self-confessed blitz AND time trouble addict, I think they are both completely different experiences. 5 minutes feels like a long time in a blitz game. When trying to reach the time control at move 40 with 5 minutes on the clock, the seconds fly by much faster.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 07:47
    Originally posted by hedonist
    I can only speak from my own experience.

Around 2000 was when I first started playing online chess. After my first blitz tournament win i was hooked. I even booked holidays from work so I could play a whole marathon on ICC. Total madness.

It was also around 2000 that my OTB rating stopped going up and started a slow decline that continues to this da ...[text shortened]... ernet. I it wasn't for the internet I would be World Champion by now and married to Mrs Anand.
    just think, all that awesome Indian cooking, meh, i am sure she has some sisters who
    may be willing to marry and you could get an invite to Vishy's house. I participated in
    an on-line voting game, Anand v the world, it was a draw, I have drawn with the world
    champion, me and about 800 others. Have you tried the blitz workout? Every time you
    lose a game you move away from the pc/laptop and do pushups or weight training
    exercises or something aerobic, the idea is that you will not play angry the next game,
    you will have filled your mind with oxygen enabling you to think clearly next game and
    you will be a fitter more healthier chess player, is that not awesome idea? 🙂
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 11:30
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Speaking as a self-confessed blitz AND time trouble addict, I think they are both completely different experiences. 5 minutes feels like a long time in a blitz game. When trying to reach the time control at move 40 with 5 minutes on the clock, the seconds fly by much faster.
    In many cases the position seems to get more complicated before move 40 and there is the added distraction of having to record the moves.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 11:46
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    ...if you don't review your games. If you are reviewing and making changes to your game you can improve quite quickly.
    I have never seen anyone record OTB blitz games. It takes too much time.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 13:292 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Sometimes they assign people to record the game for the players. I've had a volunteer record a game for me when I was in time trouble [in a longer game].
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 13:45
    you should try my workout blitz Hinds, just think you could lose 20 kgs, easily and no
    longer be a fatboy.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '12 23:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    16 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 05:38
    That's fantastic.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 10:41
    I'm talking about online blitz.. which most sites record 😉
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 21:35
    Thanks for the input; I flipped a coin. Playchess it is.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 22:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Thanks for the input; I flipped a coin. Playchess it is.
    Sorry I could not help you, but I am like you, RHP is the first and only chess site I have played on.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 22:44
    Sorry I could not help you, but I am like you, RHP is the first and only chess site I have played on.
    You aren't like me at all. I have played on at least a dozen sites in the past including ICC and PlayChess. And I've actually played.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 23:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You aren't like me at all. I have played on at least a dozen sites in the past including ICC and PlayChess. And I've actually played.
    Oh I am sorry, I was thinking you were a newbie to internet chess.
  15. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    31 Aug '12 23:502 edits
    Oh I am sorry, I was thinking you were a newbie to internet chess.
    Oh nevermind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree