1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 15:21
    I think I've reached the end of what CC can usefully do for me chess-wise and have decided to play on one of the timed sites. I played on both in years past, but don't have a clear recollection that one was superior to the other. ICC is a bit more pricey at $69.95 while Playchess has a basic membership around $41 and a premium of $62. Cost isn't a huge factor, but hey I don't like paying more for nothing of significance.

So please any other players who have played on both could you give me your opinion? Thanks.
  2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 17:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I think I've reached the end of what CC can usefully do for me chess-wise and have decided to play on one of the timed sites. I played on both in years past, but don't have a clear recollection that one was superior to the other. ICC is a bit more pricey at $69.95 while Playchess has a basic membership around $41 and a premium of $62. Cost isn't a huge f ...[text shortened]... So please any other players who have played on both could you give me your opinion? Thanks.
    I think they are both very good. But a thing to think about is that ICC has a large American membership where Playchess is more European. So the peak login times are different. Though both will still have many hundreds online even in the quiet times.

If i had to choose, I'd go for ICC, simply because that's where the top Grandmasters are.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 19:52
    Personally i prefer playchess, but i only played on ICC very briefly. Depends what you're looking for. Have you tried Chesscube.com? Not GM's (that i'm aware of) but there are tournaments and the site functions really well. Check it out before you commit money to the others...
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 20:44
    what do you need the GM's for?
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 11:12
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    Well apart from the opportunity to play one... i enjoy watching them play. 🙂
  6. Joined
    31 Mar '12
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 16:19

sounds like bitterness to me, god bless jealous weak chess players.
  7. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 21:57
    What's wrong with fics?
  8. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 22:18
    I've played on all 3 sites.

FICS is great value for money (..!) but sometime you have to wait a little time for a game.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 02:16
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    What's wrong with fics?
    There's not enough players and lag times are sometimes significant.
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 03:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's not enough players and lag times are sometimes significant.
    There's always chess.com
    I like that better than ICC or playchess
  11. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 05:531 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    There's always chess.com
    I like that better than ICC or playchess
    Chess.com live chess area isn`t bad. It`s main drawback is lack of strong players (IM and GM level) to compare with ICC and Playchess.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 07:08
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    Chess.com live chess area isn`t bad. It`s main drawback is lack of strong players (IM and GM level) to compare with ICC and Playchess.
    many masters and IM's play in the live area, usually 3min blitz though.
  13. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 07:251 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    many masters and IM's play in the live area, usually 3min blitz though.
    I know, but they are more in ICC and Playchess. And sometimes I have a problem to find blitz opponent rated over 2100 in chess.com.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 08:202 edits
    I know, but they are more in ICC and Playchess. And sometimes I have a problem to find blitz opponent rated over 2100 in chess.com.
    lucky you, sometimes i have a problem getting beat up by 1100 rated players. But I
    have learned that I need time to calculate accurately, blitz simply does not facilitate
    this, in fact, its really harmed my development to be honest, not that i would be much
    better, but at least i would not play purely on instinct all the time, without attempting to
    ascertain the possibilities in a position.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 13:17
    I'm really not that interested in playing IM and GM level players. I do prefer a larger pool as I really don't like blitz and try to get 30-60 minute games if I can. I seem to remember that being very difficult on FICS.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree