1. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 15:481 edit
    t think you sOriginally posted by no1marauder
    I'm really not that interested in playing IM and GM level players. I do prefer a larger pool as I really don't like blitz and try to get 30-60 minute games if I can. I seem to remember that being very difficult on FICS.
    At the moment there are more than 9000 players online on chess.com live chess area (to compare with 3000< in Playchess for example). So I don`t think you should have a problem to find suitable opponent even for such a time control.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 18:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm really not that interested in playing IM and GM level players. I do prefer a larger pool as I really don't like blitz and try to get 30-60 minute games if I can. I seem to remember that being very difficult on FICS.
    Chesscube is awesome... you can actually win miniscule amounts of money lol
  3. USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 01:32
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I think I've reached the end of what CC can usefully do for me chess-wise and have decided to play on one of the timed sites. I played on both in years past, but don't have a clear recollection that one was superior to the other. ICC is a bit more pricey at $69.95 while Playchess has a basic membership around $41 and a premium of $62. Cost isn't a huge f ...[text shortened]... So please any other players who have played on both could you give me your opinion? Thanks.
    Honestly, the best part of ICC is its video lectures. Easily worth the yearly subscription cost alone.
  4. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 01:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    lucky you, sometimes i have a problem getting beat up by 1100 rated players. But I
    have learned that I need time to calculate accurately, blitz simply does not facilitate
    this, in fact, its really harmed my development to be honest, not that i would be much
    better, but at least i would not play purely on instinct all the time, without attempting to
    ascertain the possibilities in a position.
    The thing about blitz Robbie, is that you're only putting into practice what you already know. You will never learn from playing blitz. Not chess anyway. But it is fun.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 03:36
    Originally posted by hedonist
    The thing about blitz Robbie, is that you're only putting into practice what you already know. You will never learn from playing blitz. Not chess anyway. But it is fun.
    You will never learn from playing blitz. Not chess anyway-hedonist

Thats not true. I have learned my best opening gambits and end games tacticts playing blitz.-Uther
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 08:122 edits
    yes, rather excellent, for what its worth, yes the masters play blitz, as you say, its
    purely for fun, its not an environment which appears to me to be conducive to learning,
    look at Uthers statement above, he gives the impression that's he has learned
    something during the game, when in fact he has rather unwittingly given credence to
    your own statement. He did not learn opening gambits during play, he must have
    known of them prior and put them into operation during play, the same with endgame
    technique. It appears to me that one is trying to run before one can walk, for example
    a musician practices scales so that he can play a piece with ease, yet fluency is the
    thing to be desired, not speed, for anyone can play fast, but not with accuracy.
    Accuracy is built up over time, learning slowly from what was understood previously so
    that the whole becomes an organic learning curve. Playing at slower time controls
    and gradually building up seems to me to be the course of wisdom.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 08:131 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    You will never learn from playing blitz. Not chess anyway-hedonist

Thats not true. I have learned my best opening gambits and end games tacticts playing blitz.-Uther
    while i cannot disprove personal experience, I side with hedonist and state that you were merely putting into practice that which you knew before.
  8. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 09:331 edit
    Speaking on blitz - it`s useful to get experience in opening lines you`ve never played before. If i want to play OTB some new opening/opening system I always play in it online blitz first.
  9. out on bail
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 14:11
    I play more on chess.com now, as the time controls suit me. I have very little free time evening/weekends now, hence my non-renewal on RHP. I manage to slip a few 5/10 minute games in at work on Chess.com although I do sometimes have problems with losing connection.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 05:54
    That's a close-minded attitude. Isn't it a valuable chess skill to know how to handle yourself in time pressure? And others have already mentioned that it's a good way to get practice playing new openings.
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 12:37
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That's a close-minded attitude. Isn't it a valuable chess skill to know how to handle yourself in time pressure? And others have already mentioned that it's a good way to get practice playing new openings.
    I play blitz to practice and learn new openings. I think that chess computer "Monte Carlo"-style analysis was created because other players do this, and it was a great application of chess computing power to "turbocharge" the method.
  12. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 12:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Isn't it a valuable chess skill to know how to handle yourself in time pressure?
    Nowhere near as valuable as the skill of avoiding time pressure. It's a fact that even a GM's play deteriorates significantly in time trouble and that blunders occur. It's simply a bad state to be in. Any training to minimise the impact will be vastly outweighed by avoiding it in the first place, so focus on training your time management instead.
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 12:58
    You will never learn from playing blitz
    ...if you don't review your games. If you are reviewing and making changes to your game you can improve quite quickly.
  14. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 13:09
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    ...if you don't review your games. If you are reviewing and making changes to your game you can improve quite quickly.
    Good point. Dvoretsky in his books recommends training one's intuition by playing fast games, and then as you point out, reviewing them to see how good our guesses were. If you don't review, you don't get the necessary feedback.

On the downside, if blitz gets to the point where it is training bad habits (laziness, etc) more than good habits then it becomes counter productive. So maybe it needs to be done in the correct way and amount; a fine balance needing some discipline.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 13:53
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Nowhere near as valuable as the skill of avoiding time pressure. It's a fact that even a GM's play deteriorates significantly in time trouble and that blunders occur. It's simply a bad state to be in. Any training to minimise the impact will be vastly outweighed by avoiding it in the first place, so focus on training your time management instead.
    Sure, it's preferable to avoid time pressure, but it's unrealistic to think that you can avoid it every game. Will you not match a large investment of thinking time by your opponent in a tricky position out of fear of falling into a later time scramble? I'd rather be able to match the time and know I can still hang with him when we're under 5 minutes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree