Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    14 Mar '07 05:46 / 2 edits
    Well, playing this game I felt rather optimistic. Specially when I recovered a piece that I was down on move 21, only to find out that it was a set up for the Steam Roller Effect...Crash...Bang ...Boom. Before I knew it, my oponent was wiping his chops, while I was still trying to clean the poop outta me eyes....
    I think that my best and most dignified move in this game was the resignation..

    *reaches for the toilet paper*

    Game 3248255

  2. 14 Mar '07 06:00
    thats powerful and hard for people at our level to spot it. you live and then you learn.
  3. Standard member Dies Irae
    I Love U
    14 Mar '07 07:18
    if a 2300 rated player "blunders" a knight and you are thinking hey material is now even, I'd change your chess thought process
  4. 14 Mar '07 15:06
    A little curiosity, why didn't you play:
    19 ... Qxc6
  5. 14 Mar '07 15:19
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    if a 2300 rated player "blunders" a knight and you are thinking hey material is now even, I'd change your chess thought process
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It seemed pretty obvious to me, especially since white had his queen and bishop attacking the kingside.

    That said, I don't see any reasonable defense either way.
  6. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    14 Mar '07 15:44
    Originally posted by rodrigonovaes
    A little curiosity, why didn't you play:
    19 ... Qxc6
    Because then Q-h8 or Q-g7 would have been curtains!
  7. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    14 Mar '07 17:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    if a 2300 rated player "blunders" a knight and you are thinking hey material is now even, I'd change your chess thought process
    Fair enough...however, as a result of this "exercise" , the only chess thought process that going to change to me, is the fact that I will be even more determined.
    Bearing in mind the second best move or a slight oversight of a certain chess postion, or combination can be regarded as a "blunder"
    and if I can recall recently, a top player like Kramnick missed a very obvious checkmate against Deep Blue and consequently lost the series against it. So anybody can blunder regardless of their rating. It might be very unlikely, but still possible, thats why I will always believe that I have a chance.
  8. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    14 Mar '07 17:58 / 1 edit
    oops double post ...sorry.
  9. Standard member Dies Irae
    I Love U
    14 Mar '07 18:52
    Originally posted by kNIGHTHEAD
    Fair enough...however, as a result of this "exercise" , the only chess thought process that going to change to me, is the fact that I will be even more determined.
    Bearing in mind the second best move or a slight oversight of a certain chess postion, or combination can be regarded as a "blunder"
    and if I can recall recently, a top player like Kramnick ...[text shortened]... be very unlikely, but still possible, thats why I will always believe that I have a chance.
    Good points. He had a pretty strong attack no matter what you did, so taking the knight really wasn't the biggest mistake. He had material to burn. But good job playing someone 600 points above you. I'm sure you learned a lot from it.
  10. 14 Mar '07 19:28
    Originally posted by kNIGHTHEAD
    Because then Q-h8 or Q-g7 would have been curtains!
    Now I'm ashamed, what a lame question. Please take 200 points from my rating now.

    The queen on the long diagonal supported by a fianchettoed bishop is too powerful indeed.

    I analyzed the board again on move 21 and really the best thing you could do there was taking the knight.

    Any other move would lead to 22. Qf7#.

    So you lost the game before that. But when? I'll look for it when I have some more time.
  11. Standard member Spacetime
    Not material
    15 Mar '07 03:21
    Wow, what an amazing attack from white!! It seems 13...Qe6 may have been a mistake, since after 14.Bb2 black's already in trouble. I see why 14...Rd8 to try for d5, but 15.Nd5! had to be prevented (I'm guessing you didn't see he takes the bishop on g4 with a mate threat when you calculated that tactical sequence). Very tricky!

    18...Qxc2 may have been a mistake because of the queen entering the dark square complex a1 - h8 diagonal. I don't know what the move should have been though. It's very hard to find a good move here. Maybe you needed 17...f6 instead of g6 to prevent the diagonal from getting so weak. The if he played Qd4 you could just take on c6. Although he probably had something else in mind then.

    This is an amazing game, thanks for posting it.
  12. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    15 Mar '07 16:11
    Originally posted by Spacetime
    Wow, what an amazing attack from white!! It seems 13...Qe6 may have been a mistake, since after 14.Bb2 black's already in trouble. I see why 14...Rd8 to try for d5, but 15.Nd5! had to be prevented (I'm guessing you didn't see he takes the bishop on g4 with a mate threat when you calculated that tactical sequence). Very tricky!

    18...Qxc2 may have been ...[text shortened]... robably had something else in mind then.

    This is an amazing game, thanks for posting it.
    Thanks for all your comments guys, they are very welcome.......
  13. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    18 Mar '07 23:57 / 2 edits
    Yep, kingcaptured cleaned me up playing black as well....(another slam and crunch with a steam roller).....

    However in the same clan league, in another game, against David Tebb, I managed to get a draw ...

    Game 3247984

  14. Subscriber kNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    11 Apr '07 20:33
    Well, well, well,...I see kingcaptured has been banned...hah!

    Thread 66840
  15. Standard member Amaurote
    No Name Maddox
    11 Apr '07 20:39
    Well, a steamroller does kind of imply an engine, I guess.