Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    26 Aug '08 12:56
    Simultaneous chess exibitions were banned in SSSR starting from 1930. as they apparently can have serious impact on one's health ? There are tons of internet articles about the topic.
  2. 26 Aug '08 13:05
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Simultaneous chess exibitions were banned in SSSR starting from 1930. as they apparently can have serious impact on one's health ? There are tons of internet articles about the topic.
    Do any of those internet articles prove that that type of chess is harmful to one's health? Not as far as I know.
  3. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    26 Aug '08 13:09 / 1 edit
    I do not know, I've found some pages written by doctors on the topic who second the idea. Also if it was banned in SSSR for that reason, that says something.
  4. 26 Aug '08 13:22
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I do not know, I've found some pages written by doctors on the topic who second the idea. Also if it was banned in SSSR for that reason, that says something.
    Links, please! I'm always interested in this kind of chess trivia.
  5. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    26 Aug '08 13:35 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Links, please! I'm always interested in this kind of chess trivia.
    http://www.chessclub.com/resources/articles/article11_7.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindfold_chess - near the bottom, Health concerns)

    there are dozen of others just google "blindfold chess hazard"
  6. 26 Aug '08 13:55
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    http://www.chessclub.com/resources/articles/article11_7.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindfold_chess (near the bottom "Health concerns"

    there are dozen of others just google "blindfold chess hazard"
    I just checked the first two links - The Wiki link was nothing meaningful, but I thought the chessclub article by Kopec was good. While I still don't think it proves anything, it did bring up a few interesting points.

    I'll do a little googling to see if anything pops up that's new to me.

    Thanks for the links!
  7. 26 Aug '08 15:12
    Here's a research paper opining that the concerns are unfounded. Check out the blindfold chess section on page 5.

    http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~cfc/Chabris2005b.pdf

    In paragraph 3 of that section, the paper states, "Hearst and Knott (2005) generally find that supposed examples of serious health hazards from playing simultaneous blindfold chess are unfounded."

    Of course, you have to decide for yourself if you want to expose yourself to possible health risks by playing an excessive number of blindfold simuls.
  8. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    26 Aug '08 15:39
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Simultaneous chess exibitions were banned in SSSR starting from 1930. as they apparently can have serious impact on one's health ? There are tons of internet articles about the topic.
    soviets in the 30's also thought you can move physical objects with your thoughts.
  9. 26 Aug '08 16:40
    Originally posted by wormwood
    soviets in the 30's also thought you can move physical objects with your thoughts.
    What? You mean that you can't?? O_o
  10. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    26 Aug '08 16:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ignatious Max
    What? You mean that you can't?? O_o
    well I'm my thirties, but not soviet.

    and psychokinesis didn't help them much against the finnish mojo in 1939-44 either, so I think I'm good. sisu!
  11. 26 Aug '08 16:50
    Originally posted by wormwood
    well I'm my thirties, but not soviet.

    and psychokinesis didn't help them much against the finnish mojo in 1939-44 either, so I think I'm good. sisu!
    Darnit; there go my dreams of becoming a jedi master. :-(
  12. 26 Aug '08 16:59
    Originally posted by wormwood
    soviets in the 30's also thought you can move physical objects with your thoughts.
    I can move things with my thought.

    Now I'm thinking of moving the knight from c3 to e4.
  13. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    26 Aug '08 17:00
    Originally posted by Ignatious Max
    Darnit; there go my dreams of becoming a jedi master. :-(
    Returning to the main topic if you want to die young because of blindfold playing support

    Thread 99238