1. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 00:10
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that some GM actually went insane from blindfold Chess. Have you heard this before? I could have sworn it was Morphy.
    I don't know about that but it wouldn't surprise me, I was playing on Thursday, lasted about 20/30 moves in about 25 minutes before I lost (I was blindfolded, and they weren't).
    I was able to recognise many threats he made, but I found it very difficult (first ever game blindfolded btw).
    When I finished I was exhausted, almost confused even, but I needed a few moments to get my bearings; some GMs can play dozens of games blindfolded simultaneously, I think this could definitely make some people go insane.
  2. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 12:53
    Okay, I won my first game!
    ...sort of...

I managed to pick off their queen for my knight, then someone seriously distracted me, so I took off the blindfold won them in like another 5 moves (i certainly couldn't do this with it on I think...)

They played very bad though, but it is getting easier for me to follow the pieces, still difficult to do much in the way of tactics though...
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:03
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that some GM actually went insane from blindfold Chess. Have you heard this before? I could have sworn it was Morphy.
    Going insane (or developing mental problems) from playing blindfold chess was a popular thought back then, but I haven't seen any evidence that there's anything to that idea. As far as I'm concerned, I view it as a misconception. I think there's been a few players who played blindfold and later had mental problems, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the blindfold chess caused the mental problems. If anyone has any hard evidence, please point me to it.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:32
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    I don't know about that but it wouldn't surprise me, I was playing on Thursday, lasted about 20/30 moves in about 25 minutes before I lost (I was blindfolded, and they weren't).
    I was able to recognise many threats he made, but I found it very difficult (first ever game blindfolded btw).
    When I finished I was exhausted, almost confused even, but I needed ...[text shortened]... f games blindfolded simultaneously, I think this could definitely make some people go insane.
    Awesome, you will have to let me know if this helps your visualization/calculation at all.
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:44
    Originally posted by zebano
    Awesome, you will have to let me know if this helps your visualization/calculation at all.
    Okay, I'll use thread in the future to inform on my progress.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree