1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 11:39
    After a long layoff from speed chess, I struggled to regain the 2000+ rating I had previously. Had I forgotten the tips n tricks of speed chess? Although I’m not yet 2000 at either bullet or blitz on the playchess server, I’ll share some of what I think would get anyone else over 2000.

- Prepare your openings. Speed chess is not the place to play only one opening.
    - Prepare you tactics
    - Read up on your endgame theory.
    - Play reasonable moves quickly. Look at Adams or Short’s games on the server and see that while they do not take 20 years to make a reasonable move.
    - Get a 2000ish opponent such as GNUChess. GNUChess is not as bad as it seems particularly with the aid of an opening book. For that you need to set the time limit of 5 minutes to make 40 moves then decrease the time limits.
    - Don’t play when tired and limit your play to an hour of intense games. (Yes you do not want to turn into a speed chess freak unable to play other forms of chess.)
  2. over there
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 15:19
    Originally posted by z00t
    After a long layoff from speed chess, I struggled to regain the 2000+ rating I had previously. Had I forgotten the tips n tricks of speed chess? Although I’m not yet 2000 at either bullet or blitz on the playchess server, I’ll share some of what I think would get anyone else over 2000.

- Prepare your openings. Speed chess is not the place to play only one op ...[text shortened]... mes. (Yes you do not want to turn into a speed chess freak unable to play other forms of chess.)
    For openings, is it good to just look at a database such as the one on shredderchess.com, or should I try to read individual books and stuff?
  3. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 15:26
    you should try and read an repertoire book, not an opening book, which shows you the ideas behind the opening, not the exact lines itself. I like the english, because when playing White, a popular first move is 1.e4. However, then you are walking into your opponent's home court since he knows what he's going to play (in fact, he'll undoubtedly toss out his reply instantly), while you have to be ready to face the Caro-Kann, the French, all the lines of the Sicilian, 1...e5, and much, much more. In other words, there's a good chance that Black will be better prepared than White (who, in this case, is you).

There's a good repertiore book on this, its called, "The Dynamic English," and I highly recommend it.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 16:27
    Read Thread 52484 for lots of tips on how to get to 2000.
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 16:39
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Read Thread 52484 for lots of tips on how to get to 2000.
    That is geared to 2000 CC not 2000 speedchess. In CC you can consult opening books and databases, in speedchess you cannot. That is why you will need to learn the openings.
  6. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 16:591 edit
    Yeah that is a point.
  7. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:00
    What do you recommend for endgame training?
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:05
    That is geared to 2000 CC not 2000 speedchess. In CC you can consult opening books and databases, in speedchess you cannot. That is why you will need to learn the openings.
    but this is a CC site, not a speedchess site.
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:07
    Isn't blitz easier than here??

I've like a 1450 here, and in a blitz a 1600- that's why I quit playing blitz. It also made me feel like I rushed here. I think blitz actually makes you worse...
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:15
    but this is a CC site, not a speedchess site.

It is well known that everyone plays several forms of chess:- OTB slowchess, OTB Speechess, Online Speedchess, Online slowchess and CC. Improving in one area and neglecting the rest does not make you a real player.

Originally posted by Ramned
    Isn't blitz easier than here??

I've like a 1450 here, and in a blitz a 1600- that's why I quit playing blitz. It also made me feel like I rushed here. I think blitz actually makes you worse...

Blitz is not easier than here. Maintaining a rating of over 2000 requires some methodology. Show me players ranked over 2000 here who have a similar speedchess rating.

Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    What do you recommend for endgame training?

I have several books and also the likes of fritz have a training faclity.
  11. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:21
    [b]but this is a CC site, not a speedchess site.

It is well known that everyone plays several forms of chess:- OTB slowchess, OTB Speechess, Online Speedchess, Online slowchess and CC. Improving in one area and neglecting the rest does not make you a real player.

Isn't bli ...[text shortened]... me training?

I have several books and also the likes of fritz have a training faclity.[/b]
    What books do you recommend?
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:38
    What books do you recommend?
    See an article such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame on the endgame. K vs K and Rook endings are quite important.

You can find a copy of Practical Chess Endings in your local library/chess club.
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:42
    [b]but this is a CC site, not a speedchess site.

Isn't bli ...[text shortened]... me training?

I have several books and also the likes of fritz have a training faclity.[/b]
    OTB my Rapidplay grade is 200 points higher than my slow play grade. Its the same on blitz sites but I can't be bothered as a general rule as it doesn't actually improve my chess.
  14. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 19:36
    OTB my Rapidplay grade is 200 points higher than my slow play grade. Its the same on blitz sites but I can't be bothered as a general rule as it doesn't actually improve my chess.
    I think thats because your more tactically inclined, than someone who is more of a strategic player, as that style seems better in quick games as there are alot more tactical opportunitys than on CC.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 20:481 edit
    I think thats because your more tactically inclined, than someone who is more of a strategic player, as that style seems better in quick games as there are alot more tactical opportunitys than on CC.
    Maybe it does suit my style but I'm simply refuting Zoots statement

"Blitz is not easier than here. Maintaining a rating of over 2000 requires some methodology. Show me players ranked over 2000 here who have a similar speedchess rating."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree