1. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 15:35
    I can't mourn the death of a man who delighted ("this is the happiest day of my life...f*** america"...and so on) in the death of thousands people during september 11 th 2001 even though this man was a chess prodigy.
    Morality does matter more than chess skills but thats just my opinion and you are free to strongly disagree with me.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 15:46
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    I can't mourn the death of a man who delighted ("this is the happiest day of my life...f*** america"...and so on) in the death of thousands people during september 11 th 2001 even though this man was a chess prodigy.
    Morality does matter more than chess skills but thats just my opinion and you are free to strongly disagree with me.
    I won't be mourning him either, but I also don't see it as moral to dance on his grave(I'm not accusing you of doing so - just to make that clear).

His contributions to chess ended a long time ago. He was a genius in chess, but little else.

It still is possible to learn from and respect his ability at chess and also revile the man and what he stood for outside of chess.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 15:48
    If a person studies a game of chess and is struck by an unimaginable beauty, elegant efficiency, amazing subtleties of strategic positionings, and breathtaking tactical combinations, the sense of some spiritual presence is felt, not unlike hearing Handel's Messiah, or the Mozart Requiem, or reading a passage of great literature. Diving in deeper, examining at the master level (maybe by reading a master's analysis of the game, or work of art, or scientific theory), only deepens appreciation. This was the presence of genius. the study may go on for centuries, and someday, milennia, still uncovering depths of genius that only the prime player/creator/author/artist knew, or somehow, even without knowing, created, or implemented, or acted on, or whatever he or she did. it was genius. that is the experience of playing through and studying a BF game.

Bobby Fischer's life was tragic. If we apply social values and diplomacy and rational behavior standards to his life. We find tragedy and a waste of genius. This is true, however, if we apply those same principles to many other geniuses. Richard Wagner comes to mind instantly. An endless list could be made.

I suggest that we honor the games and the mind that made the moves and that we let the human that he was rest in peace.
  4. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 16:27
    The best chess player. He almost single-handedly stood up against the Soviet 'draw-machine' and inspired countless thousands of players in the West to study the game.
    Additionally, he was the rare breed of player to announce his opening as white, before the game began! (P-K4)
    I followed every move of the 1972 match against against Spassky... he also taught many of us to play the opponent rather than the board at times!
    RIP
  5. Big D
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 16:27
    I admired him for the fact that he proved that an idiosyncratic American could top the best the snooty Europeans and the Soviet hive/colony could churn out. He defeated them all on his route to the world championship in 1972: Mark Taimanov, 6-0; Bent Larsen, 6-0; Tigran Petrosian, 6.5-2.5; and finally, Boris Spassky, 12.5-8.5. R.I.P. Bobby Fischer -- you deserve your place with the chess immortals: Morphy, Steinitz, Alekhine, etc.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 16:32
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I admired him for the fact that he proved that an idiosyncratic American could top the best the snooty Europeans and the Soviet hive/colony could churn out. He defeated them all on his route to the world championship in 1972: Mark Taimanov, 6-0; Bent Larsen, 6-0; Tigran Petrosian, 6.5-2.5; and finally, Boris Spassky, 12.5-8.5. R.I.P. Bobby Fischer -- you deserve your place with the chess immortals: Morphy, Steinitz, Alekhine, etc.
    His 6-0 scores against Taimanov and Larsen show just how amazing he was. Nobody can match that...
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 16:45
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    His 6-0 scores against Taimanov and Larsen show just how amazing he was. Nobody can match that...
    Fischer finished the candidates with 7 straight wins.

He then rolled over Tamainov and Larsen in 12 straight.

He then won the first game versus Petrosian...running his conecutive win streak to 20 games.

The Pats accomplishments seem insignificant by comparison.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 16:53
    Originally posted by coquette
    If a person studies a game of chess and is struck by an unimaginable beauty, elegant efficiency, amazing subtleties of strategic positionings, and breathtaking tactical combinations, the sense of some spiritual presence is felt, not unlike hearing Handel's Messiah, or the Mozart Requiem, or reading a passage of great literature. Diving in deeper, examining ...[text shortened]... e games and the mind that made the moves and that we let the human that he was rest in peace.
    Wonderfully expressed, thank you.
  9. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by English Tal
    The best chess player. He almost single-handedly stood up against the Soviet 'draw-machine' and inspired countless thousands of players in the West to study the game.
    Additionally, he was the rare breed of player to announce his opening as white, before the game began! (P-K4)
    I followed every move of the 1972 match against against Spassky... he also taught many of us to play the opponent rather than the board at times!
    RIP
    However he refused to play against Karpov to defend his title.
    Karpov was stronger than Fischer's opponents ( Taimanov , Petrosian , Larsen , Tal , Spassky ) and it would have been more difficult to win against him
    maybe Karpov could have won against Fischer who knows..thats the reason why I think that Fischer felt than he could be beaten by him and prefered to claim fake reasons to avoid Karpov.
  10. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 17:16
    A news article from CNN and within the article is a video clip of Fischer arriving in Iceland about 4 years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/18/fischer.obit/index.html
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 17:24
    The Game of the Century:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1008361

Fischer v. D. Byrne
  12. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 17:29
    You were a myth in life, and now a legend in death. Rest in Peace friend.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 17:34
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Only 64! Too young to die!

Bobby was insane but if he had carried on playing I am sure he would have proven himself the better of our current crop of super GMs and Bobby didn't have a super computer to help him analyse.
    Nor did he have a team of GMs like the Russians had.
  14. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 17:36
    Here is part one of a documentary (about 45 minutes) on his match V spassky, great program and a fitting time to relive his genius on the board and his loathsome character in every other aspect.

RIP

YouTube

(Just click on the users profile for the other parts or they should be in the list on the right)
  15. Joined
    27 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 17:45
    Originally posted by clarencecuasay
    BTW, he was 64 years old...

....and a chessboard has 64 squares...

Journalists are going to have a field day with that fact.
    let the fun begin!

http://www.virtuescience.com/64.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree