1. Joined
    24 Oct '07
    Moves
    11 Feb '08 17:11
    I am not Catholic...but I do know that Galileo Galilei was under house arrest by the Inquistion the rest of his life. He was not burned alive...and he was not alone with the heliocentric theory...another Catholic, Copernicus, preceeded Galileo, and independently confirmed the heliocentric theory...but there were others long before these two,...you can find this info on Galileo and Copernicus on Wikipedia a very good source. The Vatican embraced Ptolemy's geocentric theory, unfortunately, because they interpreted the Bible literally without the proper exegesis...I am a literalist, but I recognize that context determines the meaning and intent of the text...for the saying goes in theological schools..."a text without a context is a pretext"...so much preconceived beliefs goes into interpretation without sitting down and laying aside ideas of what is and what is not...that is why there so many sects and denominations...and why religion should stay out of politics and science...it is dangerous to impose one's own beliefs over another...as the Beatles say, "Let it be".
  2. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 00:01
    Here is a good article about Bobby Fischer.

http://cavett.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/was-it-only-a-game/?ref=opinion
  3. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 02:471 edit
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    Here is a good article about Bobby Fischer.

http://cavett.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/was-it-only-a-game/?ref=opinion
    Thanks so much for this link, it's a very worthwhile read. I think it's one of the best pieces since his death.

I can forgive him who he became.
    I think his hostility is pretty transparent; nothing but the rants of a sad, hate-filled, and tired man. I feel pity for anyone that takes that garbage seriously.

I'd rather remember him for the positive, for the art that he left behind. Just today I played over his 1956 match against Byrne with some high school students of mine- we all had the feeling that we had just witnessed something beautiful. Seven young people and I were left inspired today and that, I hope, is what we can continue to gain from his life.

All those that I learned chess from as a kid are products of the Fischer era. While I may not have had the fortune to watch him play in his prime, I do, in some sense, owe my love of the game to him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree