1. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 May '07 00:52
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy my first chess clock and need some help in picking a good, reliable and sturdy model. Although I can afford any of them I would ideally like to save money. The models I have to choose from are (In cost order):

Saitek Competition Game Pro
    DGT Easy Plus
    Standard Turnier (BHB)
    Standard Garde
    DGT 2000 timer

Ideally I would prefer the Turnier (as at my current level of chess that is the standard clock used in clubs and low level tournaments) but I am unsure of its ability to handle blitz and other heavy handed, rapid modes of play. Also I do like the ability to have Fischer timings on the digital models

Also another thing I'd like to know is if I was using a digital clock at home and then had to use a analouge with the ticking noise at a tournament would it have a detrimental effect on my playing.

All help on this matter is massivley appreciated.
    Many thanks
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 May '07 02:43
    I personally prefer digital clocks (it's quieter as you can turn the sound off, and you quickly see the EXACT amount of time you have left) and use a 30 dollar Saitek. But yea, those two reasons are why I support digital
  3. USA
    Moves
    30 May '07 04:28
    A good, inexpensive one with a lot of features is the Excalibur Gametime II for about 40 bucks.
  4. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 May '07 08:26
    So therefore is it possible to have digital clocks tick then?
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 May '07 08:29
    Originally posted by longorefisher
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy my first chess clock and need some help in picking a good, reliable and sturdy model. Although I can afford any of them I would ideally like to save money. The models I have to choose from are (In cost order):

DGT Easy Plus
    Standard Turnier (BHB)
    Standard Garde
    DGT 2000 timer

Ideally I would ...[text shortened]... mental effect on my playing.

Many thanks
    Standard Garde.
  6. Standard memberTippedKing
    Blunder Grandmaster
    Forked by a Knight
    Moves
    30 May '07 08:56
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    A good, inexpensive one with a lot of features is the Excalibur Gametime II for about 40 bucks.
    I have to echo this sentiment. Although you didn't have it listed, you can find it at just about any online chess site (including www.wholesalechess.com). It is very easy to use and can facilitate any time control you will ever need.

The only reason to get a DGT clock is if you have a DGT board.

The newest clock from Saitek, Game Pro III or something like that, looks interesting. I don't have one, but the clock has a nice look to it. It is considerably more complicated to operate than the GameTimeII though.
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 May '07 09:39
    Personally the Saitek is very appealing as I purchase a lot of Saitek gaming hardware. The reason why the DGT (2000)became on the list is that it's the official FIDE clock and that its lever is great in blitz games. However what I'd really like to know is are Turnier clocks durable enough in blitz games
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    30 May '07 10:07
    Hi,

DGT Easy Plus
    Standard Turnier (BHB)
    Standard Garde
    DGT 2000 timer

Many thanks
    I'd also recommend digital. I have an analogue and it can be unfair for blitz games, as 1 player could have a fairly hefty advantage due to the difficulty in being entirely accurate.

DGT are nice clocks. I have no experience with the others.

D
  9. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 May '07 10:56
    Ok thanks for that
  10. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    30 May '07 10:59
    Hi,

DGT Easy Plus
    Standard Turnier (BHB)
    Standard Garde
    DGT 2000 timer

Many thanks
    whatever you decide on...learn how to use it! Don't bring it to a tourney and expect someone else to know how to set it for you
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 May '07 11:44
    I prefer my huge 1950 model Russian analog clock, but nobody wants to use it for some reason. It's a piece of history from back when Botvinnik was world champion & Reshevsky was the best US player. It's easy to set and if you stay out of time trouble you don't need to know to the second how much time is left.
  12. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 May '07 13:37
    I shouldn't worry about having to set it (I'm a techo geek 😛). It seems like getting a digital is preferred although I have one real big question, would an analog be robust enough to withstand hard knocks to the handles during fast play (or an uncaring friend 😕)
  13. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 May '07 14:33
    I shouldn't worry about having to set it (I'm a techo geek 😛). It seems like getting a digital is preferred although I have one real big question, would an analog be robust enough to withstand hard knocks to the handles during fast play (or an uncaring friend 😕)
    Analogs are we ever used to use and they held up fine. I've seen them hammered relentlessly in 5 min. games and by angry opponents, knocked on the floor, etc. and survive. I have been using my German made clock for 30 years and it still works. The Russian clock has been in service over 50 years and still works.
  14. Dublin
    Moves
    30 May '07 14:441 edit
    So therefore is it possible to have digital clocks tick then?
    I've never heard one tick. You can make them make an annoying beeping noise when you press the button though.
  15. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 May '07 14:571 edit
    Ok Thanks for that. The field seems to be quite divided. Which would you say is better a Saitek or a DGT

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree