1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 13:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Gulp!, i have McKay version, manufactured in he United States of America, game 8, mmmm, that would be J.Mieses v Capa, Berlin 1913, centre game. will check it out, but i need to prepare my mind before attempting the endgame stuff.
    I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but no, I don't think it's "Game 8", it's "Example 8". Example 8 is just a single endgame position in the endgame section.

It's not a big deal - Like GP said, you can skip the endgame examples if you like. I just thought you might get a kick out of a typo in a famous Capa book. 🙂
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 15:353 edits
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but no, I don't think it's "Game 8", it's "Example 8". Example 8 is just a single endgame position in the endgame section.

It's not a big deal - Like GP said, you can skip the endgame examples if you like. I just thought you might get a kick out of a typo in a famous Capa book. 🙂
    here is the diagram Rook my friend

example eight

capa states

in the above position white cant win by 1.P-B5 (f5). blacks best answer would be P-kt3 (g6) draws (the student should work this out)
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 18:431 edit
    here is the diagram Rook my friend

example eight

[fen]8/6p1/3k4/8/3K1PP1/8/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

capa states

in the above position white cant win by 1.P-B5 (f5). blacks best answer would be P-kt3 (g6) draws (the student should work this out)
    Yes, that is the position. The problem is, 1.f5 does win. You can prove it by plugging the position into the online Shredder endgame tablebases:

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/endgame-database.html
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 08:02
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Yes, that is the position. The problem is, 1.f5 does win. You can prove it by plugging the position into the online Shredder endgame tablebases:

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/endgame-database.html
    Lol, ol Capa, what a noob!
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 18:04
    Endgames are sexy, and Capablanca is right to start there. That he failed to check a few of the solutions with Shredder should not detract from the insights gained from seeing how he thinks one ought to approach endgames. Even when his conclusion is wrong, his approach is correct.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 19:011 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Endgames are sexy, and Capablanca is right to start there. That he failed to check a few of the solutions with Shredder should not detract from the insights gained from seeing how he thinks one ought to approach endgames. Even when his conclusion is wrong, his approach is correct.
    Yeah, back then "Shredder" was run on an abacus, and the 'algorithm' was printed on paper. Running through tablebases then would be as boring and tedious as, well, studying endgames is today. 😛
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 23:37
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yeah, back then "Shredder" was run on an abacus, and the 'algorithm' was printed on paper. Running through tablebases then would be as boring and tedious as, well, studying endgames is today. 😛
    ummm, what are table bases if you do not mind me asking?
  8. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 23:513 edits
    Get a copy of Silman's Endgame Course and study it seriously -- that'll get you past 1800. Then study anything by Averbach or Dvortsky. Be patient. You may learn how to solve endgame problem in just a few minutes, but it takes much longer to learn to create these positions in your games. It is also a requirement to read Nimzowitsch's My System. Some of his ideas remain unproven, but read it anyway -- it will teach you how to think. Study the endgame about 15 minutes every day and you'll have a basic understanding in about a year.

Download a copy of this study. It will help. http://personalchesstraining.com/endgame.pdf
  9. Lagos
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 23:58
    It takes so long to be good at chess. I don't know why i even bother...
  10. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 00:21
    Originally posted by Goshen
    🙂
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 00:22
    Originally posted by Goshen
    oh my friend, take heart, it is a mountainous journey, a trek through the Hindu Kush, over glaziers and torrent valleys, rockfalls and difficult precipices but one must keep the summit in mind, persevere and you will prevail!
  12. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 00:25
    ... trek ...

Can you believe they really invented transparent aluminum?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 01:351 edit
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    yes, i believe 🙂!
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 01:44
    ummm, what are table bases if you do not mind me asking?
    Here's a good summary from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_tablebase
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 02:06
    mmm, how very interesting! are people allowed to access these and use them in correspondence play or is it considered bad form?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree