1. London
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:05
    Originally posted by Leaadas
    Yes but 17. .... Qxf7 seems to win that piece.
    17...Qxf7
    18. QxQ...Nxf7
    19. Bxf6...bxf6
    20. b4 and the Bishop is trapped and the pawn structure weakened
  2. Joined
    01 Aug '04
    Moves
    03 May '07 19:462 edits
    Originally posted by Ari Brenin Cymru
    In certain QGA games I end up in a situation like this:

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. Nc3 .

When black tries to hold on to the pawn by advancing a6 and b5 I cannot seem to capitalize on this, I've read that trying to keep hold of the pawn creates big problems for black. What should I play to gain an advantage in these type of situations?
    I think that there has been some misunderstanding of the aims of the QGA in some of the discussion. In any of the main lines (3.Nf3, 2.e4, 3.e3) it is bad for black to try to hold the pawn. However, by playing 3.Nc3 (a very rare move) you are playing a move that allows black to hold the pawn with ...a6 and ...b5. If White plays a4 to prevent this, he only allows an annoying pin on his knight and weakens his queenside. Anyone who plays the QGA at a high level would love to see Nc3 and a4 from White. If you don't want Black to hold his pawn, then one of the main lines seems to be the best choice.

Scott
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:49
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Whilst it may be true that it's good for white against a beginner who's just taking the pawn because they can
    technically black can't just "take the pawn" (3. Qa4+ 4. Qxc4 gets the pawn back)

but back to mainline, when I played d5 I never accepted the pawn
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 May '07 10:252 edits
    The knight on e5 is defending the other knight (on c6) against the f3 Bishop so if:

17. ....Nxf7
    then
    18.Bxc6...Qxc6 (forced preventing mate on b7)
    19.Qxf7. capturing the cheeky knight
    EDIT: Already covered...
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 May '07 10:29
    17...Qxf7
    18. QxQ...Nxf7
    19. Bxf6...bxf6
    20. b4 and the Bishop is trapped and the pawn structure weakened
    Black can play 20.Bb6 21.cxb6 ..bxc6 with repaired pawn structure...
  6. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    04 May '07 10:49
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Yes that is what i was thinking Marinkatomb. Which also seems to be much better than what was played.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 May '07 15:01
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Yes, that was the decisive mistake as far as I can tell. But, I don't have to capture the bishop until black moves the a pawn, so if black does move the bishop I get a little extra time to do something else. Also the position after that isn't bad for me, the kingside pawn majority gives me reasonable chances there, balanced by my opponent's better pawns on the queenside. He abandoned the Albin Counter Gambit after this game and now plays the Leningrad Dutch, and regularly beats me with it otb, which is annoying as I introduced him to the opening 😞.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree