Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    04 May '08 02:06 / 2 edits
    Today I played in a tournament, and after a two and a half hour game (against some one rated 300 points higher than me), the following position uccured. I was not able to win, especially with two minutes left. Is it possible for black to win?
  2. Standard member thesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    04 May '08 02:13
    Whose move is it?
  3. 04 May '08 02:14
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Today I played in a tournament, and after a two and a half hour game (against some one rated 300 points higher than me), the following position uccured. I was not able to win, especially with two minutes left. Is it possible for black to win? [fen]7K/8/7p/3b2k/8/8/8/8[/fen]
    Nope, it's not possible for Black to win. If the bishop were on the dark squares, then Black could win.
  4. 04 May '08 02:16
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Whose move is it?
    I don't think it matters whose move it is.
  5. Standard member thesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    04 May '08 02:18
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I don't think it matters whose move it is.
    You're right. I replied too fast. Black cannot win either way.
  6. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    04 May '08 02:19
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Whose move is it?
    white's move, but I'm not sure it matters
  7. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    04 May '08 02:20
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Nope, it's not possible for Black to win. If the bishop were on the dark squares, then Black could win.
    Is this only on the H and A file, or in central ones too?
  8. 04 May '08 02:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Is this only on the H and A file, or in central ones too?
    Only on the two rook files, I believe.

    Ya gotta hand it to White, he did exactly what he had to do to squeak out the draw.
  9. 04 May '08 02:25
    Hardly a cheap draw, your opponent put his King in the right corner and knew what he was doing. Would you have known what to do? Consider it a valuable lesson.
  10. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    04 May '08 02:37
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Hardly a cheap draw, your opponent put his King in the right corner and knew what he was doing. Would you have known what to do? Consider it a valuable lesson.
    Yeah, I know, I would have done the same thing. I just did not think it was possibe; I thought it was my blunder
  11. 04 May '08 02:44
    Oh, it's probably obvious, but I'll also mention that if the black pawn were on the h-file (the mirror image of your position), then Black would win with a light-squared bishop, but only draw with a dark-squared bishop.
  12. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    04 May '08 02:45
    ok, thanks.
  13. 04 May '08 03:01 / 1 edit
    OK, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I forgot to explain White's objective in your game. If the white king can make it to the a1 square, he has a guaranteed draw, and it doesn't matter in the least whose move it is in the position or where the black a-pawn or black king is located. Once at the a1 square, the white king will just shuffle to a2, a1, a2, a1, etc. (Remember, this only works for rook pawns.) Also, even the addition of a "wrong-colored" bishop doesn't help Black. Hope that makes it a little clearer.
  14. 04 May '08 08:58
    Huh? Why not -h5 -h4 -h3 -h2 -h1Q?
  15. 04 May '08 09:06


    Is this a draw? (I've tried it and I think it is)