http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007/07/cheating-incident-in-poland.html

I found the tournament table online:
    http://www.smialy.pl/gniot2007/tabela_turniejowa_zawodnikow_wg_miejsc.html
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 15:21
    The encouraging thing is that they caught him due to screening the games, which is the implication of the reports, rather than by accident due to trailing wires etc. - which is more or less how they've found people out in the past. A 98% match-up rate is quite spectacular.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 15:26
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The encouraging thing is that they caught him due to screening the games, which is the implication of the reports, rather than by accident due to trailing wires etc. - which is more or less how they've found people out in the past. A 98% match-up rate is quite spectacular.
    Indeed. Hopefully screening of the games will become standard in FIDE rated tournaments in the near future, there's no reason why someone shouldn't get caught after the first round if they are blindly following Rybka, Fritz or the like.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 16:32
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Another tournament, another cheat:
    http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007/07/cheating-incident-in-poland.html

I found the tournament table online:
    http://www.smialy.pl/gniot2007/tabela_turniejowa_zawodnikow_wg_miejsc.html
    Its interesting to note that he was one of the higher rated players in the tournament but 6.5 points out of 7 including 5 games against top 10 finishers is almost behond belief.

Even with 2 games in hand he tied for 1st place.

The question arises "How did he do it?" and "What can be done to stop this in future?".
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 17:05
    My solution: Legalize engine use in CC and OTB. It’s not a crazy as it sounds. Me & my laptop against Kasparov and his laptop. Me & my laptop against Ivar Bern and his laptop Who do you think would win?
  6. washington
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 17:13
    what a stupid idea.
  7. back in business
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 17:151 edit
    the one with the fastest computer wins. doh
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 17:19
    Originally posted by kmac27
    what a stupid idea.
    Not completely, there are plenty of CC sites which allow engine use with engine and non-engine rooms, and human + machine OTB tournaments have been played. However, that is a different thing from abandoning human only play altogether which really wouldn't do the sport any good - I for one wouldn't see much point in playing except socially.
  9. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 18:01
    Originally posted by kmac27
    what a stupid idea.
    The "stupid" person who came up with this idea is actually Kasparov himself, who calls it 'Advanced Chess'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_chess

The problem is, as good as computers are now, it's getting to the point where it's doubtful that the human will have anything useful to contribute (the human's advice may just bring down the play of the computer).
  10. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 22:32
    You'd think somebody with a qualifying rating would be smart enough to mix it up at least a little bit. Maybe use the engine to get a superior position. I'd assume a 2300 plus player could win then, even against a superior player.

It's like he wanted to get caught.
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 22:36
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    You'd think somebody with a qualifying rating would be smart enough to mix it up at least a little bit. Maybe use the engine to get a superior position. I'd assume a 2300 plus player could win then, even against a superior player.

It's like he wanted to get caught.
    I have this theory.

People that use engines don't know when to stop.They get sucked in, use them more and more and eventually get lazy so use them for every move - then they get caught!

It doesn't matter how good they are as they eventually stop playing and rely on the engine.
  12. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 22:381 edit
    I wouldn't have a problem with walking through a metal detector before entering a tournament.

I'd even let them search me. When I hear about these guys "cheating".....well....if someone shot him in the head and his brains splattered into my mouth ...i'd say...."is it my move or yours?"
  13. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 23:31
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I have this theory.

People that use engines don't know when to stop.They get sucked in, use them more and more and eventually get lazy so use them for every move - then they get caught!

It doesn't matter how good they are as they eventually stop playing and rely on the engine.
    I think you are exactly right.
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 00:25
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I have this theory.

Boy! At some point he BECOMES the engine.

Resistance is futile!
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 08:22
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Boy! At some point he BECOMES the engine.

Resistance is futile!
    The human race is doomed. Technology will win.

Remember the Borg, the Cyborgs and all those Terminator movies. The future of humanity is in their hands.

We will become mindless automations, having sex for fun whilst robots rule the world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree