1. Joined
    15 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 23:03
    I once played a guy at my school (who is now a FIDE master I believe) who beat me while he was blind folded and I could see.

Has anyone else had similar embarassing experience?

(well actually i was embarrassed until i realised just how good he was - he was on derren brown when DB played all those chess masters)
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 23:152 edits
    Originally posted by davidtravelling

One time I was playing in a large tournament hall, with about 500 players. The director had just called for quiet and was about to start the match. Right when all the noise died down, I let out a ripping fart that could be heard across the room and everybody turned to stare at me - even the blindfolded players could pinpoint its exact origin. It was very embarrassing.

Just kidding - I wasn't embarrassed at all.
  3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 01:39
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    One time I was playing in a large tournament hall, with about 500 players. The director had just called for quiet and was about to start the match. Right when all the noise died down, I let out a ripping fart that could be heard across the room and everybody turned to stare at me - even the blindfolded players could pinpoint its exact origin. It was very embarrassing.

lol, thats funny, i laughed
  4. Argentina
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 03:41
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

Out of curiosity: did you poo in your underwear?
    Blindfolded players has a well developed sense of smell... 😛
    Next time use a diaper, just in case.
  5. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 09:43
    I was playing a well endowed woman beginner whilst blindfolded at my club.

I had managed to get my rook on her back rank and was going after her king. I lean't forward a bit too far on my next move (whilst attempting to grab my Rook) and grabbed her (left) Rack by accident.

She didn't return to the club.

😳
  6. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 11:16
    Originally posted by rhb

I had managed to get my rook on her back rank and was going after her king. I lean't forward a bit too far on my next move (whilst attempting to grab my Rook) and grabbed her (left) Rack by accident.

😳
    LMAO
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 11:23
    Originally posted by rhb

😳
    Fess up. Where they worth it?
  8. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 14:172 edits
    I once played a guy at my school (who is now a FIDE master I believe) who beat me while he was blind folded and I could see.
    A player at my chess club lost to a player who was blind. It destroyed his confidence for the rest of the tournament! Actual blind players do use a special type of chess board - this would make playing chess not quite as difficult yet undoubtably amazing.

There is some nice history presented on blindfold simuls in the middle of this article (excerpt and link below):

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=857

Blindfold play is something you can practice and improve at apart from your regular chess game. A player who practices it regularly will beat a player hundreds of rating points higher if the stronger player has never tried it before, at least at the amateur level. Give it a try and wow your friends! Unlike your knowledge of the subtleties of the Semi-Slav, this is actually something that non-players are impressed by. [Philidor, Morphy, Pillsbury, Najdorf are noted for impressive blindford simul play (although there were others; Alekhine, most notably).]

"How do they do it?" and many Masters discussed the subject. Tarrasch wrote of seeing the board "as a plastic object" in his mind and about how each move modified the image, "as the photographic plate receives the impression of the object on which the light falls."

Most players agree that it is more tiring than a regular game even with a faster time control.

The generally accepted record for most simultaneous blindfold games is held by George Koltanowski; in 1937 he played 34 amateurs in Edinburgh and finished with a +24 -10 score in over 13 hours of play.

Grandmasters rarely have trouble visualizing the board during a single game. [Today, there are various blindfold events that many of the top players participate in, and the level of play is still extraordinary (Moro is incredible!).]

For example: (Game by Alekhine, Moro, and Polgar respectively.)
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1012007
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1401123
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1092636

Games By Actual Blind Players:

Baretic (FIDE ~2130) - T. Timman
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1266558

Ray Charles - Larry Evans
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1266243

Milner-Barry-Baretic (One in which Baretic wins nicely! Although I once read that there is a refutation for the Long Whip Variation of the KG.)
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1157256
  9. Playing with matches
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 16:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 16:41

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Playing with matches
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 16:421 edit

(well actually i was embarrassed until i realised just how good he was - he was on derren brown when DB played all those chess masters)
    I've got an embarassing story along these lines.

When I was 16 there used to be informal Chess tournaments almost every weekend at a local Shopping Mall not far from my house. The mall had one of those huge Chess sets that are played on a black and white tile board. The typical deal was that you'd keep control White and of the board until someone unseated you.

This old black guy would be there every weekend religiously. Apparently, he was as blind as a bat, complete with a red tipped white cane and dark glasses. He'd call out the pieces and either his grandson or one of his crotchety old friends would move the pieces for him.

The ancient black dude was obviously better than me, but, I challenged him anyway. At the start of the game, being a cocky S.O.B., I loudly declared, "You better savour being White as Chess is the closest you'll ever get and you won't be White much longer."

A hush fell over the small crowd and this old dude came aound the board weilding that damn cane like a scythe. You would have thought he'd been touched by Jesus because the way he came right at me like he wasn't blind at all.

As startled as I was, I didn't move fast enough and his first swipe clipped me right in the kidney as I scuttled backwards. This crazy b*stard kept on coming and his second swing caught some kid right across the side of the face. I ran towards the food court like a scared little girl as he flailed around himself with that damn cane. I knocked the h*ll out of some woman with a tray of food and the last thing I saw of the old guy was this spindly mall security guy throwing a mag light at him.

The moral of the story being: "Don't play Chess in the mall lest ye be assaulted by some blind dude."
  12. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 16:474 edits
    Originally posted by rhb

😳
    Interesting; I've been in a similar situation, although she was the one blindfolded. Regardless, she was still soundly beating me (at chess), so when she ;east expected it (because of the blindfold), I played the Zypper Opening in combination with the famous 'Danza Slap'. She resigned with a concussion four moves later.
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 17:04

I've played a few blindfold games and amazingly I am unbeaten! I've only played three games though 😛
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 19:26
    I have played three games blindfolded I won my first against a beginner and got to thinnking I was really cool lost to some not so good players for the last two. It is fun.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 19:411 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I've played a few blindfold games and amazingly I am unbeaten! I've only played three games though 😛
    what kind of a board & pieces you guys 'use'? 2d? 3d? is there any special kind of a set you 'see'?

I use a 3d board made of stone, and also 'hear' the grinding sound as the pieces slide on the board. don't know why 3d seems easier to me though, as I never play with a real board, and always 2d on the web.

can't really play blindfolded yet though, but I can play through games that I know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree