1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 14:34
    Originally posted by stanloh
    Guys I want to ask, I already have How to Reassess your Chess by Jeremy Silman, I was told to read The Amateur's Mind first. Do you really think its needed? Or can I make do with HTRYC only?

Thanks.
    Dan Heisman passes along Jeremy Silman's own recommendations:

Silman Book Reading Order

"My recommended order (though all stand alone):

1) Read Reassess Your Chess through page 52. Then put it away!
    2) Read all of The Amateur's Mind.
    3) Read the rest of How to Reassess Your Chess.
    4) Read The Workbook.
    And yes, you have to start people out with tactics and the basic mates else they will get shredded instantly.”

- IM Jeremy Silman in an e-mail to Dan, 11/16/2001.

I received similar recommendations when I exchanged emails with Silman more recently than Dan Heisman has.

I pasted from http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Jan '06 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by Saint Nick
    I little surprised no one brought up the Play Winning series by Silman.
    I've only read two of the series, but thought they were great.
    Great series and I've recommended that to everyone(its buy Yasser Seirwan and not Silman). However, the original post was for the 4 books which he had.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 20:291 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Great series and I've recommended that to everyone(its buy Yasser Seirwan and not Silman). However, the original post was for the 4 books which he had.
    The diagrams in at least one of these books are awful, and the cover of another too quickly fell apart. The content is excellent; the material production of the series leaves a lot to be desired.
  4. Joined
    02 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 19:52
    So you guys are saying that simply playing over and over - basically being chased around the board is NOT the way to improve your game?

I can't seem to bring myself to read chess books, they tend to make my eyes glaze over. I guess I'll have to have my opponents go over what I could've/should've done.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 19:54
    Originally posted by dirtball
    So you guys are saying that simply playing over and over - basically being chased around the board is NOT the way to improve your game?

I can't seem to bring myself to read chess books, they tend to make my eyes glaze over. I guess I'll have to have my opponents go over what I could've/should've done.
    a lot of it has to do with how much you really love chess. Grandmasters and world champion type players really and truly love chess and are able to look at chess books with delight. for most of us though, chess is just a hobby, a pastime, and well, its hard to become a master of something you dont really love.
  6. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 15:51

If you cant get into the books, try looking for a book at your level, or just above it.
    I made the mistake of buying every chess book that had a promising blurb on the back cover, and now own close to 300 chess books..🙄
    Also have a dictionary nearby, what is making your eyes glossy is words you dont fully understand.
    Looking at a few hundred games in a database, like some classical ones, maybe pick a few old masters, and go over a lot of their games, is more effective then just books. Then later the books will make more sense
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 15:56
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    I made the mistake of buying every chess book that had a promising blurb on the back cover, and now own close to 300 chess books..🙄
    If having such a library is a mistake, I'm certain a few bibliophiles such as myself could take a few off your hands. My chess library barely tops 150, so there's plenty of room to grow.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 17:08

If you want to improve, but find books too intimidating, maybe you should try learning software. I found Waitzkin's Chess Academy in Chessmaster 10th Edition immensely helpful. I doubt just playing will get you anywhere. You would at least have to analyse your games to find out where you went wrong, so that you can avoid the same mistake next time. But learning some basic principles, be it from a book, the internet, software, or a teacher, will make things a lot easier.
  9. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 22:22
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    I am on Christmas break from college and I have just decided I want to improve my game as much as possible in the next few weeks. I figure I have time to work all the way through 1 chess book, or maybe 2, but for the purposes of this question, let's assume 1. Which book should I work through? These are the very limited set of books I have to choose ...[text shortened]... n Nunn
    4. Winning Chess Endgames - Just the Facts by Lev Alburt
    5. Some various opening books
    well the holidays have long transpired ...
    i found Nunn's book to be very instructional and believe you would benefit from it too.
  10. Joined
    02 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 01:46
    Ok, so I found "Chess Basics" by Nigel Short and it made alot of sense to me (it wasn't a problem with vocabulary - the algebraic notation wasn't explained in the others I'd looked at) Many of the scenarios at the end of the book left me feeling bewildered as to "the best move"- I'm just now setting them up on the dining room table and playing them through. That may help. However, now that I've read a few books my game is weaker and a good friend who I regularly route beat me 3 out of 4 times last night.

I wish this made as much sense as compression ratios, valve overlap/lift/duration; engines are so much more predictable than opponents!
  11. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 04:59
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The diagrams in at least one of these books are awful, and the cover of another too quickly fell apart. The content is excellent; the material production of the series leaves a lot to be desired.
    I sell some of my collection on ebay. I hate to sell any books nowdays, because i later find that book recomended by a stronger player, or even here on the boards.
    Im actualy getting into chessbase, and the many small databases out there, that are about tactics, endgames, or openings!
    I found a DVD on ebay from someone who narrarates how to use chessbase and fritz.
    Its pretty cool, and easy to follow, with a video and vocal demonstration.
    The guy is selling out his inventory, including more dvds and cds, with tactics, databases, 12million checkmates, 5 million games, etc.
    I can foward the persons email to anyone interested, as the person's daughter has the rights, and is selling the inventory, because she's to busy to sell it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree