Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member UmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    31 Dec '05 05:43 / 1 edit
    I am on Christmas break from college and I have just decided I want to improve my game as much as possible in the next few weeks. I figure I have time to work all the way through 1 chess book, or maybe 2, but for the purposes of this question, let's assume 1. Which book should I work through? These are the very limited set of books I have to choose from:
    1. Judgment and Planning in Chess by Max Euwe
    2. Art of attack in Chess by Vladimir Vukovic
    3. Understanding Chess Move by Move by John Nunn
    4. Winning Chess Endgames - Just the Facts by Lev Alburt
    5. Some various opening books
  2. Standard member Santa Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    31 Dec '05 05:45
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Agreed
  3. 31 Dec '05 06:31
    1. I read but it was that old notation so it wasn't as fun.
    2. I just finished reading this month.
    3. I looked at it but its not what i expected. I was hoping for something closer to logical chess move by move with little variations etc..

I would go with Judgement and planning especially if its with the new notation.

Art of Attack is great but its more for someone 1700 around.

Opening books right now are a big no no.
  4. Standard member UmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    31 Dec '05 18:54
    Anyone else have any imput?
  5. 31 Dec '05 19:30
    No opening books. I havn't read any of the others though. I own Art of Attack, but I won't start it until I finish with Postal Chess Masterpieces by Dunne.
  6. Standard member Grandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    31 Dec '05 19:34
    This has been repeated many times in these threads.
    Study Tactics!
    Bring a puzzle book like Reinfelds 1001 mates or combos. Albertsons and Wilsons 303 whatevers. Chess tactics for Juinors-Lou Hays
    etc, etc.
    read as many puzzles as you can, but dont spend more then 5 min on each, finish the book, then re-read it. The key is to remember as many patterns as possible.
    For Positional ideas. Logcal Chess by Chernev.
    This is a good start. The other books you mentioned can wait until 1600 or so
  7. 31 Dec '05 22:02 / 1 edit
    Looks like good choices - here is my rating:

1. Judgment and Planning in Chess by Max Euwe - 8-9/10 good but old...

2. Art of attack in Chess by Vladimir Vukovic - 10/10 great book!!!

3. Understanding Chess Move by Move by John Nunn - 10/10 great book!!! (this book is like the Modern version of: Logical Chess by Chernev) - read this book instead of Chernev's ancient book.

4. Winning Chess Endgames - Just the Facts by Lev Alburt - 8/10 good, but there are better endgame books.
  8. Standard member Grandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    01 Jan '06 02:35
    Originally posted by amir1
    Looks like good choices - here is my rating:

1. Judgment and Planning in Chess by Max Euwe - 8-9/10 good but old...

2. Art of attack in Chess by Vladimir Vukovic - 10/10 great book!!!

3. Understanding Chess Move by Move by John Nunn - 10/10 great book!!! (this book is like the Modern version of: Logical Chess by Chernev) - read this book instead of ...[text shortened]... Chess Endgames - Just the Facts by Lev Alburt - 8/10 good, but there are better endgame books.
    These may be good choices for an advanced player. but someone whos under 1400 or so might not get a good understanding of the content.
    Im around 1600+ and most of those books where hard for me to grasp.
    Im reading Chernevs book, and i like it a lot.
    Its best to work on a gradient you can handle.
    Youi might get what you need from those books, but if not, try what i sugessted earlier
  9. 01 Jan '06 04:02 / 3 edits
    Grandmouster has some good points in his post above.
    I however, still think that Nunn's 'Understanding Chess Move by Move' is a good modern replacement for Chernev's calssic.
  10. 01 Jan '06 04:24
    I am on Christmas break from college and I have just decided I want to improve my game as much as possible in the next few weeks. I figure I have time to work all the way through 1 chess book, or maybe 2, but for the purposes of this question, let's assume 1. Which book should I work through? These are the very limited set of books I have to choose ...[text shortened]... n Nunn
    4. Winning Chess Endgames - Just the Facts by Lev Alburt
    5. Some various opening books
    I would recommend Nunn's book, "Understanding Chess Move by Move." The important thing about this book is that it deals with the whole game as a package and begins to teach you how to think through a game. In learning chess that is the single most important thing to learn...how to think and how to plan.

Dave
  11. Standard member Grandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    01 Jan '06 05:27
    Originally posted by amir1
    Grandmouster has some good points in his post above.
    I however, still think that Nunn's 'Understanding Chess Move by Move' is a good modern replacement for Chernev's calssic.
    I dont think that this book should be replaced.
    It seems to be a good steping stone for an improving player.
    Im reading the Chernev book right now, and will read The Nunn book next.
    This way i will study in a level by level of understanding.
    I did read the Nunn book, and found it a little over my head at the time. Hopefully it will be better this time
  12. Standard member Saint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    01 Jan '06 05:29
    I little surprised no one brought up the Play Winning series by Silman.
    I've only read two of the series, but thought they were great.
  13. 01 Jan '06 14:14
    Guys I want to ask, I already have How to Reassess your Chess by Jeremy Silman, I was told to read The Amateur's Mind first. Do you really think its needed? Or can I make do with HTRYC only?

Thanks.
  14. Standard member Santa Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    01 Jan '06 14:18
    Originally posted by stanloh
    Guys I want to ask, I already have How to Reassess your Chess by Jeremy Silman, I was told to read The Amateur's Mind first. Do you really think its needed? Or can I make do with HTRYC only?

Thanks.
    PLaying games helps
  15. 01 Jan '06 14:26
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    PLaying games helps
    Sorry I don't really get what you are saying, at least its not answering my question. I just asked someone who have read both books if they can input their opinions if its really necassary to read The Amateur's Mind before HTRYC or can I skip it altogether.