Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    16 Mar '15 11:23
    The USCF's most prolific TD so far - Steve Dillard of Kentucky - was recently found dead in home of apparent stab wounds. May he RIP
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    16 Mar '15 16:13
    Whew - I thought you meant the game was dying. Had me worried there.
  3. 16 Mar '15 22:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Syntactical ambiguity in the title of the thread.
  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    26 Mar '15 12:26 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Chess might as well be dead in America. It's a game reserved for a few nerdish young men who can't get a date on a Saturday night. Too many ignorant NASCAR watching hillbilly's sucking on moonshine, and playing checkers on a cracker barrel over here.

In America, intellect is something to be ashamed of.
  5. Subscriber Ragwort
    Ex Duris Gloria
    26 Mar '15 12:40
    Originally posted by bill718
    Chess might as well be dead in America. It's a game reserved for a few nerdish young men who can't get a date on a Saturday night. Too many ignorant NASCAR watching hillbilly's sucking on moonshine, and playing checkers on a cracker barrel over here.

In America, intellect is something to be ashamed of.
    I understood chess has now been reduced to mere subliminal pattern recognition therefore, surely, any fool can play it?
  6. 26 Mar '15 15:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Nakamura was home-grown, not an import.
  7. 26 Mar '15 15:29
    Yeah, at the age of two. He learned his chess in America (from his Sri Lankan father).
  8. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    26 Mar '15 16:28
    I also hear he's a Ninja despite his girth.
  9. 26 Mar '15 16:35
    Who cares if he looks Japanese? When I see Nakamura interviewed he comes across as 100% American.

To me an imported Grandmaster is one who learnt his craft in a different country, so the adopted one can't claim much or any credit for the level he or she has reached.

Anyway, enough of this. Life is too short to get into internet arguments with dicks. Please make your next post to me your last, safe in the knowledge that there will be no reply from me.
  10. Subscriber 64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    26 Mar '15 16:36
    Naka is hardly an imported talent, are you saying just because he wasn't born in the USA means he has no credibility to play under the stars and stripes?

He grew up in the US, learned chess in the US, and has a strong American accent... good enough for me!
  11. 26 Mar '15 17:04
    A link that gives a very detailed account of Naka's early chess experiences:
    http://www.chess.com/article/view/the-nakamura-brothers
  12. 26 Mar '15 17:37
    I find this discussion very inappropriate regarding the fact that this topic is an announcement of someone's death.

PS: does anybody know whether these forums are moderated? Please PM to keep it out of this topic.
  13. Subscriber 64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    26 Mar '15 17:56
    So when someone doesn't agree with what you say, you resort to insults and personal attacks?

Heh, try behaving like that in real society... see how far it gets you.

And FYI, I never said anything about Naka having the right to play under the US,
    I was saying that your comments seem to question his credibility... two different things entirely.

And simply using his appearance to back up your claim shows severe ignorance on your part.
  14. 26 Mar '15 17:59
    After reading your posts it is evident where the stupidity is...
  15. 26 Mar '15 18:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Who cares if he looks Japanese? When I see Nakamura interviewed he comes across as 100% American.

To me an imported Grandmaster is one who learnt his craft in a different country, so the adopted one can't claim much or any credit for the level he or she has reached.

Anyway, enough of this. Life is too short to get into internet arguments with dicks. P ...[text shortened]... make your next post to me your last, safe in the knowledge that there will be no reply from me.
    I second this last statement fully.

If Russ has any sensibilities WerherVonBraun will be banned soon. Sadly, this site seems to let such idiots flourish and pollute the forums.

Received a PM from another account. I blocked WernherVonBraun so he creates a second account to message me. Against the TOS right?

WVB, enjoy your stay here, I can see you are going to make a *ss of yourself on the forums. Done corresponding with you too-fools can't be reasoned with.