1. Joined
    23 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 14:09
    I'm only commenting here, but I guess it'll start a war...
    Has anyone else noticed that just when it seems you're well ahead in games, the "impossible" is done?
    It seems that all of a sudden, the opponent produces a sequence of moves that appear beyond their level. I do however, accept that perhaps they did have some well planned moves in mind, it seems very unlikely that they happen so often.
    Whilst it really makes no difference to me whether a player needs an engine or not, I'm happy to play chess and enjoy the game and good conversation. The use of an engine to win will always be a no-no with me, and many of my opponents will agree fully with this!!

Anyway, just the thoughts of a chess fan.
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 17:46
    Chess is such a versatile and imaginitive game, full of possibilities and surprises... the use of bots just kill it completely.

It's been rather annoying to see how some people pretend to understand a game as they run stockfish through it,
    especially during the world championship, where people in chat hit the ceiling every time the evaluation swings by +/- 0.5

Anyone using a bot during correspondence chess is just a sad individual.
  3. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 19:11
    I have always assumed that anyone using engine assistance regularly will quickly get a rating far higher than most of us can ever hope to play eg 2200+
    This means i never have to worry about playing them.

Do people ever use engines from time to time - who knows, but it would make their normal play even more unappealing in their own eyes...

I am glad I only see my own mistakes after the game has finished!
  4. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 20:15
    I wish it was possible to compare a player's games to the known engines, and see some rating such as "75% of his games match closely the moves of Engine So-and-so".
  5. Joined
    23 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 23:47
    These are my thoughts exactly. I do know a few gambits, and I guess any chess engine would also know these, but a pattern of twenty moves or so would smell of engine use.

I would rather lose with dignity than win with artificial help.
  6. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 02:24
    Originally posted by chessnut62
    Has anyone else noticed that just when it seems you're well ahead in games, the "impossible" is done?
    It seems that all of a sudden, the opponent produces a sequence of moves that appear beyond their level. I do however, accept that perhaps they did have some well planned moves in mind, it see ...[text shortened]... d many of my opponents will agree fully with this!!

Thumbs up if you agree with this🙂
    ENGINE USERS AND SANDBAGGER,S SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THIS SITE, NOW.
  7. Joined
    23 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 21:121 edit
    Originally posted by Steve45
    Thumbs up if you agree with this🙂
    ENGINE USERS AND SANDBAGGER,S SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THIS SITE, NOW.
    Totally agree!!

Do any clan leaders encourage it at all?
  8. Leeds, England
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 21:19
    If anyone used an engine on a regular basis they would get a high rating eventually.
    I know on occasion I ( normally a 1300 player) have seen a great position 5 moves ahead and worked towards it. I get a good win and then think I will be accused of cheating. However the rest f my games will show the normal level I play at. We can all have the occasional good day.
  9. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 22:10
    I think 99% of engine accusations are false, mostly made by sore losers. It devalues the actual problem, because accusations are tossed around so lightly. I've been called an engine user many times in blitz, it's a joke.

I'm rated 2200 on here and I can't tell when I am playing an engine or a strong opponent. How can a 1200 player claim to know?

Have you tried putting the moves that you think were assisted into an engine? I bet they are not even best.
  10. SubscriberLittleDonkey
    Little Donkey
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 23:13
    It seems that all of a sudden, the opponent produces a sequence of moves that appear beyond their level. I do however, accept that perhaps they did have some well planned moves in mind, it see ...[text shortened]... d many of my opponents will agree fully with this!!

It is difficult to prove and potentially a sign of arrogance in one's own ability. I often lose to players rated lower than me (sometimes a lot lower). It is easy to think they must be cheating but often the reality is a mixture of complacency, a blunder, more complacency, a feeling of indignation and a belief in the 'Divine Right' of ratings. The upside is when I beat someone much higher rated than myself and think that player is human too, they make the odd mistake but they are honest and love the game.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 00:53
    Originally posted by LittleDonkey
    It is difficult to prove and potentially a sign of arrogance in one's own ability. I often lose to players rated lower than me (sometimes a lot lower). It is easy to think they must be cheating but often the reality is a mixture of complacency, a blunder, more complacency, a feeling of indignation and a belief in the 'Divine Right' of ratings. The upsi ...[text shortened]... think that player is human too, they make the odd mistake but they are honest and love the game.
    I have seen many threads about how so and so uses a chess engine with percent move match as evidence.

Not saying they weren't.
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 15:35

I'm sure this happens from time to time. I'm not nearly strong enough for anyone to bother with using an engine on me. Being remarkably average makes me a lesser target. The stronger players (over 2000) have more to worry about in this area I think.

In defense of engines themselves (not the loons who use them in an unethical manner) they can make excellent training partners. Setting up complex middle or endgame positions and playing against an engine for 10-15 moves, then studying the strong moves by the engine, can sharpen one's tactical skills.
  13. SubscriberLittleDonkey
    Little Donkey
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 19:45
    [i]Originally posted by mchill[/i

In defense of engines themselves (not the loons who use them in an unethical manner) they can make excellent training partners. Setting up complex middle or endgame positions and playing against an engine for 10-15 moves, then studying the strong moves by the engine, can sharpen one's tactical skills.[/b]
    Personally I think reading Greenpawn's blog is a far better way of sharpening one's tactical skills. He identifies patterns to look out for with examples from actual games. The difficulty I find with engines is that when you play OTB games your opponents invariably play something far more human throwing any preparation into disarray. That said at the very top level I am sure they prove to be invaluable because the top players understand the underlying subtleties.
  14. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 20:52
    Let's pull this piece out of context and into the spotlight..

Personally I think reading (...) is a far better way of sharpening one's tactical skills.

On the contrary, reading helps very little to sharpen tactical skills. You have to practice, even if against a computer! In fact, it doesn't matter what the opponent will respond. It's you that has to be aware of the possible attacks and defenses, regardless of whether your opponent will find them. (*) Someone showing you a tactic is interesting, impressive, or whatever... but it doesn't train you to find those tactics yourself.

(*) Unless you want to become skilled in tricks and traps. Then you hope your opponent doesn't see what you see.
  15. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 21:161 edit
    It is difficult to prove and potentially a sign of arrogance in one's own ability. I often lose to players rated lower than me (sometimes a lot lower). It is easy to think they must be cheating but often the reality is a mixture of complacency, a blunder, more complacency, a feeling of indignation and a belief in the 'Divine Right' of ratings. The upsi ...[text shortened]... think that player is human too, they make the odd mistake but they are honest and love the game.
    The ratings on here are only a guide at best.
    The only ones to take any notice of are the 1 yr and 5 yr ones.
    I bought a chess computer many years ago.
    One thing I quickly learned was it never left material hanging and I could never win an exchange sequence against it.
    The modern engines are a lot more sophisticated now but these basic principals will still apply.
    If you suspect your opponent is using an engine don't try and attack.
    Just make your position secure so the opponent can't make any progress.
    If he's using an engine and following it religiously he'll just start making pointless moves like shuffling a rook from one squre to the next on the back rank.
    Do something similar and he'll either get fed up and stop using it, you'll be able to claim a draw by repeated position or he'll offer a draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree