Moves
    05 Apr '11 14:192 edits
    *deleted*
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 16:071 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    *deleted*
    any guesses as to what Nimzos post said?

1.Yes Robbie you are right, we are humbled!
    2. Yes Robbie Greenpawn and I are thankful for this post
    3. Yes Robbie Greepawn and I have decided to play the Colle forever
    4. Yes Robbie Colle appeared to me in a dream and told me its all twoo!
    5. No Robbie you are talking pants as usual cause you dont even play the Colle?

mmmm, any guesses anyone?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 16:27
    He had posted a Colle game and gave annotations on certain moves. He did it with reservations thinking he might take the thread off on a tangent. I guess he decided that the post really wasn't right for the thread.
  4. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 16:29
    The Colle System is a chess opening strategy for White introduced by Belgian Edgard Colle in the 1920s. Also known as the Colle-Koltanowski system, played frequently and further developed by George Koltanowski, this variation of the Queen's Pawn Game is characterised by a systematic if modest development of White's minor pieces to support a quick pawn move to the e4 square. It is solid, but inflexible.

Ignoring Black's responses for the time being, the typical plan is as follows: 1. d4 2. e3 3. Nf3 4. Bd3 5. 0-0 6. Re1 7. c3 8. Nbd2 9. e4, with White re-arranging his move order appropriately. It is a perfectly solid scheme of development, but, inflexibly applied, it cannot offer more than equality against a vigorous Black response. It may be a good tool for avoiding book variations, for Blitz play, or for forcing opponents to think for themselves early on. These days it is considered totally innocuous and is rarely seen at Master level or above.

I am playing a USCF corr. game and my opponent has elected to play that stupid Colle. I plan on posting the game for your benefit once it's over, Robbie.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 16:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    He had posted a Colle game and gave annotations on certain moves. He did it with reservations thinking he might take the thread off on a tangent. I guess he decided that the post really wasn't right for the thread.
    ok, i think he Pm'd me the game but it got cut off because it was too large, please
    Nimzo, if you are reading this, post the game, its all in good fun, ol GP doesn't mind as
    long as we talk chess!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    [quote]The Colle System is a chess opening strategy for White introduced by Belgian Edgard Colle in the 1920s. Also known as the Colle-Koltanowski system, played frequently and further developed by George Koltanowski, this variation of the Queen's Pawn Game is characterised by a systematic if modest development of White's minor pieces to support a quick pawn play that stupid Colle. I plan on posting the game for your benefit once it's over, Robbie.
    it cannot offer more than equality against a vigorous Black response. It may be a good
    tool for avoiding book variations, for Blitz play, or for forcing opponents to think for
    themselves early on. These days it is considered totally innocuous and is rarely seen
    at Master level or above. - mere opinion!

that must be why in Paul's DB white has a 62% winning advantage, mmm, strange, you
    should of course have no problem vanquishing your opponent for having adopted such
    a modest set up, after all, its rarely seen at master level and above, which must mean
    that its just no good 😉
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 16:50
    I no longer post pgn on rhp because I waste hours going space by space looking for weird cut and paste errors.

fen on the other hand, still works for me.

Here is the position Paul was talking about where Palliser prefers Kh1 to Mamedyarov's move a4.

after Bd7
    h3 Nh5
    Nb3 dxe4
    Qxe4 f5
    Black has stolen the iniative.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 17:422 edits
    I no longer post pgn on rhp because I waste hours going space by space looking for weird cut and paste errors.

[fen]r1b2rk1/ppq2pp1/1bn1pn1p/3p4/4P3/2P2N2/PPBNQPPP/R1B2RK1 w - - 0 12[/fen]

Here is the position Paul was talking about where Palliser prefers Kh1 to Mamedyarov's move a4.

after Bd7
    h3 Nh5
    Nb3 dxe4
    Qxe4 f5
    i think Palisers comments are nothing more than intellectual snobbery, for example
    he states, of Kh1, If white has no better moves than this then he had best try
    another opening??? It has been thoroughly pointed out that the reason white plays
    Kh1, is to avoid any nonsense with ...Nh5 ...Ng3 when black can make use of the
    pin against the pawn on f2. Here is a game which i think illustrates whites try, in
    which once again black is saddled with an isolated queen pawn, of which Pallister,
    strangely enough makes no mention!

Position after 1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. e3 c5 4. c3 e6 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. Nbd2 Bd6 7. O-O
    O-O 8. dxc5 Bxc5 9. e4 Qc7 10. Qe2 h6 11. Kh1 Bd7 12. h3 Nh5 13. Bc2 Nf4 14.
    Qd1 Bb6 15. exd5 exd5 16. Nb3 - Here black actually sacked his knight and lost
    although the computer seems to think black is doing fine.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 17:591 edit

[fen]r1b2rk1/ppq2pp1/1bn1pn1p/3p4/4P3/2P2N2/PPBNQPPP/R1B2RK1 w - - 0 12[/fen]

after Bd7
    h3 Nh5
    Nb3 dxe4
    Qxe4 f5
    you might be right here Nimzo, but there shall be a way!!
  10. e4
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 23:511 edit
    Hi Robbie.

I saw your comment to my game.

".....most excellent, in true Colle fashion,"

I nearly fainted.

Utterly and totally wrong!
    That game came from Morphy, Marshall or Mieses, Alekhine, Blackburne,
    Tarrasch or Spielmann. I cut my teeth on these guys games.

I could not show you (or recall ) one Colle game.

You make it sound like Colle invented attacking Chess. He did not.
    Look at the games of The Romantic Masters. That is where that attack came from.

(Jesus wept, Moses sobbed and John the Baptist screwed his head back on...
    First of all he hijacks my thread and now he says I play like a Belguim.) 😉

And stop harping on about an isolated pawn. (I count twice).

"If you fear having an isolated pawn then give up chess." Tarrasch.
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 00:19
    Why someone would play a system that offers little more than equality is beyond me. 😞
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 01:48
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Why someone would play a system that offers little more than equality is beyond me. 😞
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 and the debate continues!😞
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 02:11
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Good point Paul 😞
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 03:013 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Robbie.

I saw your comment to my game.

".....most excellent, in true Colle fashion,"

I nearly fainted.

Utterly and totally wrong!
    That game came from Morphy, Marshall or Mieses, Alekhine, Blackburne,
    Tarrasch or Spielmann. I cut my teeth on these guys games.

I could not show you (or recall ) one Colle game.

You make it sound l ...[text shortened]... awn. (I count twice).

"If you fear having an isolated pawn then give up chess." Tarrasch.
    its not the Colle player who needs to fear it, its black, did not Tarrasch also state that
    an isolated pawn casts gloom all over the chess board? There are zillions of games
    where white sacks everything to open lines against blacks King, that is the true spirit
    of the Colle! 😉
  15. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 11:55
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    2. f4

solved.

Now go and study your Spassky!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree