1. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 20:342 edits
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Game 4812993

The closest thing in the gamesexplorer to the e5!? line.

Interesting that the game is between a self proclaimed pimp in djibouti and a 1600 who mysteriously ramped up a few hundred points before getting bored and timing out a bunch of games.
    one must sympathise with the green one, and i feel somewhat ashamed to hijack his
    thread, but it was you guys that brought it up, so lets look at the position, black plays
    instead ...Qc7, the purpose of which is to prevent , or make more difficult e5, so be it,
    we , in the true way of 'the way of water', change our strategy to accommodate this
    latest development for if black insists on preventing e5 we isolate black centre pawn
    and once again, go after it in the hope of achieving an advantageous ending. Black is
    playing with fire ! ...Qc7

2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 22:48
    Robbie-

Why is Black so hot to play 10... Bd6? Outside that it is probably the move of choice in the heyday of the 30's for Kolty, Keres and Maroczy Colle wins but unfortunately for White in modern play you won't find that as the move of choice.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 23:42
    Since Black doesn't have to take on e4 (and is strongly advised not to do so) I would suggest looking at lines with Qc7, Qe2 h6 (stopping the e5 & Bxh7+ motif) and now you have a real position.

[fen]r1b2rk1/ppq2pp1/2n1pn1p/2bp4/4P3/2PB1N2/PP1NQPPP/R1B2RK1 w - - 0 11[/fen]

So here Mamedyarov played Bc2, there are alternatives, notably h3 and e5 but game stats and theory pretty much sees this as slightly better for Black.
    This is definitely the critical line in the Colle at the higher levels. I know all databases vary, but I have 14 games with 11. Bc2, with white winning 61%.

I would take that stat with a grain of salt, however, as the move 10. ... h6 did not come into prominence until the postal player Robert Reynolds published some analysis on it in 1986, (says Richard Palliser) and the line is still being tested.

Palliser has several pages of analysis on it, and as usual, the better-prepared player is probably going to win!

Mamedyarov is a 2600+ player playing the Colle, so I certainly won't second-guess him playing 12. a4, but Palliser thinks white's best prospects lie with 12. Kh1!?

Here's a game that Palliser references. It is a wide-open game, almost an e4-type position from 1. d4:

If anyone wants to play the Colle (or against it directly, as opposed to dodging it) the 10. ... h6 line is the critical path. An OTB player who does not know it is not prepared to play the Colle in a tournament.
  4. e4
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 01:11
    Robbie and this poxy Colle.
    Soon It's goinng to start appearing in the Science Forum
    as it takes over the whole site.

I've just seen Paul's post good.
    And it does resemble a Lopez (from white's side).

But do we have to keep falling back on GM games which
    most of us cannot get to grips with. A GM draw at that.

I thought this opening was being lorded as a gift to weaker players.

Anyway back to the position in question and games played by our peers.

Ran this position through the DB.

Found five games 2 white wins, 2 black wins and a draw.
    50-50 which is looking typical for this opening.

Interesting to note that the two White wins were in my opinion
    switch overs. Black was doing OK going if not better into the middle game.
    White got nothing from the opening.

The big difference between us and GM's.
    GM's dont' chuck away good postions at the same rate we do.
    Let's get out the womb before we start running.

Thormd - Buzz Meeks RHP 2008

Black wins the pawn on e5 and stifles White half hearted
    effort at an attack. White resigns when he is about
    to lose the exchange.

der schwarze Ritter - General Putzer RHP 2006

Again Black wins the e5 pawn and does appear to be coasting.
    He switches off, lets White get some Queenside activity
    then blunders dropping a piece.

reddersG - dRr0x0rZZ RHP 2008

Already given in the thread.
    Black wins the e5 pawn then faffs about waiting for
    the win to just happen. White opens up the King and Black
    sheds the exchange to get rid of the dark squared Bishop.
    White then overpowers Black. 1-0

Ed Bernheim - dkappe RHP 2004

Again the e5 pawn is lost. White has no attack and watches Black
    take over. White drops a piece and Black constructs a mating net.

tomthewizard - Kaoslos RHP2007

The draw is perhaps the most interesting of the lot because
    it comes close to what White wants from a Colle.
    No beast on f6 and Bishops straffing the Kingside.

White does not lose the e-pawn(!) (the secret appears to be
    hold onto to the e-pawn and perhaps don't, as in the GM game
    shove it onto e5. So we have learned something.)

White builds up quite a sharp looking attack. I prefer the mess that
    follows 24.Bxh6 instead of 24.b4. 24.Bxh6 gxh6 25.Qxh6

What's happening?

Recently saw a similiar OTB position with a Queen holding h7
    against a Q & B battery with a Knight hovering.
    They played Qf7? Here 25...Qf7 26.Nf6+ mates as in the game I saw.

The 24.b4 idea wins a couple of pawns at the cost of the Colle Bishop.
    There is Rxh6 trick in the game but it comes to nothing.

Game petered out into an ending and I lost interest. Draw.

I can see I'm gong to end up posting every stupid Colle in the DB.

No I'm not.

Oh and PS: Did anyone enjoy the Blog? 😉
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 01:441 edit
    Paul - Just for fun I have a counter to Palliser's suggestion by a footnote in Tony Kosten's analysis of the Mamedyarov game where he says in alternatives to a4.

Kh1 - "if White hasn't got anything better than this than maybe he should play another opening."

haha, granted about as useful a comment as "the rest is technique" in GM annotations but interesting to see his opinion.

Then again Finke's annotation in the chessbase megabase 2008 is just a Kh1 line from etchegary - estemara 1992.

and now back to the Naka Attack...
  6. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 03:49
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Robbie and this poxy Colle.
    Soon It's goinng to start appearing in the Science Forum
    as it takes over the whole site.

I've just seen Paul's post good.
    And it does resemble a Lopez (from white's side).

But do we have to keep falling back on GM games which
    most of us cannot get to grips with. A GM draw at that.

I thought this opening was be ...[text shortened]... y stupid Colle in the DB.

No I'm not.

Oh and PS: Did anyone enjoy the Blog? 😉
    I thoroughly enjoyed the blog!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 09:553 edits
    Robbie-

Why is Black so hot to play 10... Bd6? Outside that it is probably the move of choice in the heyday of the 30's for Kolty, Keres and Maroczy Colle wins but unfortunately for White in modern play you won't find that as the move of choice.
    first of all, it was the generalities we are interested on, the move ...Qc7, the move
    ...Bd6 are all employed to do what, to stop e5, this scheme best illustrated
    'general strategy', for black, secondly the white side best illustrated whites, 'general
    strategy', that instead of trying to impose e5, we change our tact and isolate blacks
    queen pawn, in the hope, that after pieces are exchanged, we can gang up on it,
    doubling rooks, controlling the square in front of the pawn, etc

It appears to me that this type of planning is better than looking at the merits of
    particular individual moves, kind of like standing back from the picture rather than
    sniffing it, for to all intents and purposes, pictures are meant to be looked at, not
    sniffed!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 10:001 edit
    Originally posted by Exuma
    I thoroughly enjoyed the blog!
    so did GP in writing it, he just cant bring himself to admit that he loves the Colle. In fact, he dreams about it at night.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 10:421 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    This is definitely the critical line in the Colle at the higher levels. I know all databases vary, but I have 14 games with 11. Bc2, with white winning 61%.

I would take that stat with a grain of salt, however, as the move 10. ... h6 did not come into prominence until the postal player Robert Reynolds published some analysis on it in 1986, (says Ri now it is not prepared to play the Colle in a tournament.
    some general ideas behind the development of the subtle move ...h6
  10. e4
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 11:091 edit
    Hi Robbie.
    Had a good chat with streetfighter (Andy Burnett) on Sunday.
    (more name dropping, I'm a total poser).

Andy is the author of Street Fighting Chess see Thread 119135.

He has switched 1.d4 and I admitted the times I have played it I
    always got good postions. (that came with all the Marshall (a hero) games
    I played over.)

I go for a Colle set up but without crippling my c1 Bishop.

Here is me saccing a Queen (which I only saw at the last moment
    and played it for the cute double Bishop mate - with The Colle Bishop!! )

G.Chandler - Some French Bloke, Edinburgh 1981.

Andy won the Brillo Prize. I'll do another thread because there is
    an interesting back drop.
  11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 12:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    first of all, it was the generalities we are interested on, the move ...Qc7, the move
    ...Bd6 are all employed to do what, to stop e5, this scheme best illustrated
    'general strategy', for black, secondly the white side best illustrated whites, 'general
    strategy', that instead of trying to impose e5, we change our tact and isolate blacks
    queen ...[text shortened]... fing it, for to all intents and purposes, pictures are meant to be looked at, not
    sniffed!
    Playing by general plans loses games. You have to combine planning with concrete analysis. In every game you have quoted Black has been a tin can to White's Plan- this really doesn't illuminate the reality of the position at all.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 13:082 edits
    Playing by general plans loses games. You have to combine planning with concrete analysis. In every game you have quoted Black has been a tin can to White's Plan- this really doesn't illuminate the reality of the position at all.
    on the contrary, it became apparent that in all posts, there was not one reference
    made to any over all strategic plans, simply looking at individual moves does not
    negate this, analysis without recourse to planning is what loses games or did Silman
    write all his books for nothing?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 13:141 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Robbie.
    Had a good chat with streetfighter (Andy Burnett) on Sunday.
    (more name dropping, I'm a total poser).

Andy is the author of [b]Street Fighting Chess
    see Thread 119135.

He has switched 1.d4 and I admitted the times I have played it I
    always got good postions. (that came with all the Marshall (a hero) games
    I played ...[text shortened]...
    Andy won the Brillo Prize. I'll do another thread because there is
    an interesting back drop.[/b]
    most excellent, in true Colle fashion, opening up lines against the castled Kingside,
    however, i must point out that Colle developed his system primarily because of the
    Bg5 move,

'Looking at 1.d4 Colle noticed that early development of the White dark-squared bishop
    in the Queen Gambit leads to its exchange with inevitable simplifications, favorable to
    Black (as in Lasker and Orthodox variations of QGD). So Colle decided to keep Bc1 at
    home until the middlegame.'

As for Mr Burnett, I am really pleased for him! although i must say in my defence
    that prior to starting a post playing devils advocate of why you should play the
    Colle, the thought never crossed my mind!
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 13:274 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    on the contrary, it became apparent that in all posts, there was not one reference
    made to any over all strategic plans, simply looking at individual moves does not
    negate this, analysis without recourse to planning is what loses games or did Silman
    write all his books for nothing?
    Silman wrote his books for 1400-1600's about the Middlegame not Opening Theory.

If you want me to post all the obvious strategic ideas in a position you will have to pay me- preferably from the refund you get by returning the shoddy Colle opening tome you used to find that awful Ng4 game.

White's plan is to play Qxf7# proving the genius of this opening setup.
    Unfortunately Black is to move and requires no deep plan to stop White's flawed one and equalize the position.

And yes the position after Nf6 has been won by White in a game between a 2400 and a 2300 (dmitrov - Mazi 2008)
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 13:492 edits
    Silman wrote his books for 1400s, if you want me to post all the obvious strategic ideas in a position you will have to pay me- preferably from the refund you get by returning the shoddy Colle opening tome you used to find that awful ng4 game.

[fen]rnbqkbnr/ppp2ppp/3p4/4p3/2B1P3/5Q2/PPPP1PPP/RNB1K1NR b KQkq - 0 3[/fen]

White's plan is to play Qxf7# prov tion after Nf6 has been won by White in a game between a 2400 and a 2300 (dmitrov - Mazi 2008)
    ok, I see, both the ...Ng4 and the ...Nh5 lines were given to show why black played
    ...h6, a line which has been adopted by such Patzers as, IM J. Silman, GM S. Ivanov,
    GM S. Polgar, GM I. Novikov, GM P. Wells. I wouldn't pay anyone for forgetting to
    include general strategic plans when looking at a position, would you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree