Chess tactics server

Chess tactics server

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
07 Jan 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Are you saying that you could eat turds if you dripped hot wax into your mouth first? Am I missing something?

d

1. e4!!

Moves
07 Jan 07

No he's saying that the chillies were so hot you'd rather pour hot wax into your mouth.

SS

Moves
07 Jan 07

U

Moves
08 Jan 07

Would you guys recommend the CTS puzzles as a good exercise for learning chess players like myself? I was told solving tactical puzzles was a good way to hone ones skills.

SS

Moves
08 Jan 07

d

1. e4!!

Moves
08 Jan 07

I think what it boils down to is training your brain to spot the patterns. To not make the hand moves and find the best move.

d

Moves
08 Jan 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
At blitz only.

J

back in business

Moves
08 Jan 07

Originally posted by doccotoanbai
At blitz only.
no, at slow game too.

S

Moves
08 Jan 07

Originally posted by Jusuh
no, at slow game too.
Not really.

the puzzles of CTS are generally obvoius....for example, if it looks like you can sac the knight, thats (9 out of 10 times) the solution.

in real games, that Knight sac maybe refutued 4-5 moves later.....CTS doesn't teach that, it favours intuition over calculation.

a

Moves
08 Jan 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Shinidoki
Not really.

the puzzles of CTS are generally obvoius....for example, if it looks like you can sac the knight, thats (9 out of 10 times) the solution.

in real games, that Knight sac maybe refutued 4-5 moves later.....CTS doesn't teach that, it favours intuition over calculation.
My opinion also.

In correspondence chess you don't need to be sharp as a knife. At least not wihtin a few seconds. You can take your time and sharpen your knife slowly. As long as your knife is sharp at the time you move, you are doing ok. (this looks like complete nonsense, but I hope that you know what I mean 🙂)

Adje

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
08 Jan 07

But for 30 or less minutes games on the real board I think they are quite useful?

DI
I Love U

LaLa Land

Moves
08 Jan 07

Not really.

No way. CTS hones the tactical calculations of your mind and exposes you to new ideas. You need to know what you are doing and then the steps that are involved in the process. Its all calculation. And it teaches you a ton of tactical combos like sacrifices, forks, discovered checks, double attacks, back rank mates, sacrifices for mates and so on...

I agree that there is an unrealistic aspect to them, as in chess games these kinds of combos are not common, but when they are there then you will be less likely to miss them as you are already conditioned to look for them.

Also, the puzzles usually either balance out material, win material, or deliver mate, or in rare occurrences they teach how to avoid traps. Its hardly a situation where a refutation would be an issue

J

back in business

Moves
08 Jan 07
1 edit

Not really.

yes. really.

CTS teaches you to spot tactical opportunities faster. in blitz games that is naturally an huge advantage. but it definitely improves your slow games too; spotting tactical ideas faster can not be bad thing. after spotting an interesting idea quickly, you have much more time to calculate whether it works or not.

SS

Moves
08 Jan 07
1 edit

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
08 Jan 07

Not really.

all the problems are computer checked, which means there are no refutable knight sacs in 4-5 moves. there are lots of decoys, you just have to calculate if they work or not.