Chess

Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
15 Sep 09
1 edit

Warhammer is no solo player game (no computer game - you have to paint your own action figures and then FIGHT), and Quake and WoW are played via the internet (MMORPG) with big groups of geeky people

h

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by tomtom232
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't world of warcraft a game where you are one character fighting and killing everyone?
To quote some famous WoW'er: World of Warcraft is a bit like Chess, but far more complex than that.

(I was inquiring about Chess)

Moves
15 Sep 09

Chess a game of perfect information that has complications that so far, have kept it unsolved. Games of perfect information are, I believe, solvable in principle, so that in any given position, including the initial position, one side -- white or black -- can in principle be shown to have an ultimately winning or at least drawing response to any moves by the other side. In this, it is nothing more special than tic tac toe, except that the person who solves chess will be extolled and condemned.
Chess is a game that, if we come to in our youth, holds a romantic attraction all our lives. Words like Ruy Lppez, Fianchetto, and obscure courtesies like Garde La Dame, apply in a world of knights and castles. What fun!

h

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by JS357
Chess a game of perfect information that has complications that so far, have kept it unsolved. Games of perfect information are, I believe, solvable in principle, so that in any given position, including the initial position, one side -- white or black -- can in principle be shown to have an ultimately winning or at least drawing response to any moves by the o ...[text shortened]... o, and obscure courtesies like Garde La Dame, apply in a world of knights and castles. What fun!
Sounds pretty nerdy to me

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
Sounds pretty nerdy to me
heinzkat, you seem pretty nerdy to me. I still love you, but when did
you become the Jock?

-GIN

h

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by Nowakowski
heinzkat, you seem pretty nerdy to me. I still love you, but when did
you become the Jock?

-GIN
Huh?

h

Moves
19 Sep 09

Can anybody help me out - what is this thing we call chess?

e4

Moves
19 Sep 09

Can anybody help me out - what is this thing we call chess?
It's a Musical written by Time Rice & the bearded guy from ABBA
based on a board game that is played between two players.

h

Moves
19 Sep 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
a board game that is played between two players.
This seems a plausible meaning of the term "Chess". But... draughts is a board game that is played between two players as well. Is Chess the same as draughts - only played with a different set of rules? Shouldn't we all be playing draughts?!?

h

Moves
28 Sep 09
1 edit

Everyone so far has failed to provide a good reason why chess is so unimaginably wonderful... is it because this feeling cannot be put into words!? Or is it just because we chess players cannot express ourselves so well, in general?

h

Moves
28 Sep 09

Nobody wants to explain chess to me 🙁:'(😞😠😠😠😠

e

Moves
29 Sep 09

Nobody wants to explain chess to me 🙁:'(😞😠😠😠😠
True,
but for kicks,

a game between two players with pieces of different value and movements to control in turn until either a draw, resignation, or victory through attacking the opposing player's king piece without further recourse by the opposing player.

The joy comes in mastering the many complexities and testing ones skills, learning, improving, and winning.

P
pawn grabber

Moves
29 Sep 09

.... is a classy waste of time.

h

Moves
29 Sep 09

"Classy" is incorrect and misleading; chess is played by a group of hobby-less junkies.

h

Moves
29 Sep 09

"The joy comes in mastering the many complexities and testing one's skills, learning, improving, and winning."

Maybe... maybe... but that goes for other sports as well. What makes chess exceptional?