Chess

Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
10 Sep 09

What is this thing called chess?

rc

Moves
10 Sep 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
it is an Art form!

MC

Moves
10 Sep 09
1 edit

Its the sweetest candy in the word, in its correct form it is as beautiful as a flawless rose, more addictive them heroin and, like heroin, it has the power to make men happy... yet restless and miserable at the same time.

K
Kerfufflecopter

In the zone

Moves
10 Sep 09

I'd say it's an infection.

h

Moves
10 Sep 09

1) Chess is a form of art: a lousy one, if you ask me
2) Chess has the power to make geeky, insecure men feel "happy" - while they are not really happy
3) Chess is an infection: but it is not really the kind of infection that is contagious, is it? What do you mean - a disease? Is chess a disease?

K
Kerfufflecopter

In the zone

Moves
10 Sep 09

1) Chess is a form of art: a lousy one, if you ask me
2) Chess has the power to make geeky, insecure men feel "happy" - while they are not really happy
3) Chess is an infection: but it is not really the kind of infection that is contagious, is it? What do you mean - a disease? Is chess a disease?
Once chess has gotten its hooks into you, it's pretty hard to get rid of it. There are many kinds of treatment (e.g. extensive search for another hobby) but they don't always work.

h

Moves
10 Sep 09
1 edit

So what is the defining difference between chess and other standard addictive habits such as gambling, drugs, smoking...

K
Kerfufflecopter

In the zone

Moves
10 Sep 09

I never said there was one.

h

Moves
10 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Kristaps
I never said there was one.
I fear I have already killed my own thread here, but please, by all means... continue.

pp

Moves
10 Sep 09
4 edits

So what is the defining difference between chess and other standard addictive habits such as gambling, drugs, smoking...
chess is abstract. those things can hurt you, cost you thousands of working hours, trap oxygen carrying molecules in your system or whatever.

1)Chess can't do those things.

1.a)Now you can say that actually all activity, including purely intellectual ones, somehow do have real effects. Well yeah, but not as materialistic effects as the above.

1.b)Even if we fail to define a difference between chess and some other activity by certain criteria, that doesn't mean they are as harmful or as good as each other. they just happen to be in the same category. for example, if chess can end someones marriage, so can resident evil 5. that doesn't mean one (resident evil 5) doesn't suck and one (chess) doesn't rock. 🙂

2)those aren't art. (some games in gambling MAY be, like "wow did you see that guy playing poker? he is amazing!" but well... yeah.)

K
Kerfufflecopter

In the zone

Moves
10 Sep 09

Well, what else can I say. You try smoking and you either hate it and never do it again or start smoking and just can't drop it. It's similar with chess, once you start playing it, it's hard to stop.

That's the point I was trying to make, though I'm not so sure about it now after elaborating so I'll just stick with Tal - Chess is first of all an art.

h

Moves
10 Sep 09
1 edit

Ah here's another one - I'll even rip it out of context for you.

Chess is so-called "intellectual"! Ha! Have you ever seen a FM/IM/GM that was a university professor too? OK, you may name some, maybe three, maybe five, but there you have to conclude - in general, chess players aren't that bright a group of people.

pp

Moves
10 Sep 09

By the way, I think chess is an art that somehow has managed to build an ideology for itself. It's all in my next book "Chess Ideology."

pp

Moves
10 Sep 09

Chess is so-called "intellectual"! Ha! Have you ever seen a FM/IM/GM that was a university professor too? OK, you may name some, maybe three, maybe five, but there you have to conclude - in general, chess players aren't that bright a group of people. 🙂
I agree chess players aren't intellectual people by default. chess is an intellectual activity though. You can't be good at everything. The majority of academy is absolutely ignorant about political economy for example, that doesn't mean their expertise doesn't require any intellectual activity.

K
Kerfufflecopter

In the zone

Moves
10 Sep 09
1 edit

Chess is so-called "intellectual"! Ha! Have you ever seen a FM/IM/GM that was a university professor too? OK, you may name some, maybe three, maybe five, but there you have to conclude - in general, chess players aren't that bright a group of people.
Lasker? Ok, that's not even three.

However, becoming a university professor is not a necessity for becoming intelligent although it's probably true that most of them (GM's etc) aren't very bright (no offense intended) since most of their lives are spent studying chess. I could wrong though.