Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    10 May '12 08:54
    VinceNoir9 must hold the record for actually not playing chess on here. 98% of his games have been decided by timeout..!!! He tried to play a HardCore tournament using his holiday setting to give him extra time.
  2. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    10 May '12 09:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kingshill
    VinceNoir9 must hold the record for actually not playing chess on here. 98% of his games have been decided by timeout..!!! He tried to play a HardCore tournament using his holiday setting to give him extra time.
    I wouldn't be so sure, i'm sure there are plenty of 'players' on this site who have 98% or more of their moves decided by silicon and that can hardly be called playing chess.
  3. 10 May '12 09:21
    Originally posted by kingshill
    VinceNoir9 must hold the record for actually not playing chess on here. 98% of his games have been decided by timeout..!!! He tried to play a HardCore tournament using his holiday setting to give him extra time.
    nom nom nom, back of the net kidz!
  4. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    10 May '12 10:55
    Originally posted by kingshill
    VinceNoir9 must hold the record for actually not playing chess on here. 98% of his games have been decided by timeout..!!! He tried to play a HardCore tournament using his holiday setting to give him extra time.
    A few points here on User 681864

    * The correct number is 44,2 %

    * He announced his wish to play many games in the GF

    * he certainly is not the worst offender when it comes to misuse of timeout.

    * Probably it can be seen as a TOS 3c case if some one accuses other to cheat (in any way and i am well aware of the fact, that there have been accusations aginst you, though in a different area).

    * The posting you want to look at in "Site Ideas" is "no vacation tournament" "hardcore tournaments" "vacation" vacation misuse". The point has been made several times, without the powers that be have reacted on it.

    But maybe if a highly ranked member brough forward the suggestion...?
  5. 10 May '12 11:57
    Kingshill did say games decided by timeout.

    Add the time outs for and against:

    41.67% claimed by timeout
    56.44% lost by timeout

    and you get the 98% he mentioned.

    We know little of VinceNoir9 circumstances, he pays a sub and supports the site.
  6. Standard member gambit05
    Mad Murdock
    10 May '12 12:05
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Kingshill did say games decided by timeout.

    Add the time outs for and against:

    41.67% claimed by timeout
    56.44% lost by timeout

    and you get the 98% he mentioned.

    We know little of VinceNoir9 circumstances, he pays a sub and supports the site.
    You can't add those values.

    41.67% timeout wins in 25 games means a total of 60 won games.
    56.33% timeout losses in 89 games means a total of 158 lost games.

    Thus, 114 games out of 218 games were decided by timeouts, which is 52.3%.
  7. 10 May '12 12:22
    Hi Gambit.

    I was just explaining where Kingshill got his 98% from.
  8. 10 May '12 12:40
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Gambit.

    I was just explaining where Kingshill got his 98% from.
    If you're right, then Kingshill fails his maths, badly. Back to 3rd form, report to head girl for a slippering.

    Richard
  9. 10 May '12 13:40
    Five out of every four chess players are no good at percentages.
  10. Subscriber jankrb
    Conductor
    10 May '12 13:54
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Five out of every four chess players are no good at percentages.
    50% !

    Players are good at percentages or they are not. That's 1:2 =50%
  11. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    10 May '12 14:10
    Originally posted by jankrb
    50% !

    Players are good at percentages or they are not. That's 1:2 =50%
    That's the probablility?
  12. Subscriber jankrb
    Conductor
    10 May '12 14:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    That's the probablility?
    Yes, that's the probability that chessplayers are good at percentages.

    I am ( I think... )
  13. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    10 May '12 20:51
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    If you're right, then Kingshill fails his maths, badly. Back to 3rd form, report to head girl for a slippering.

    Richard
    I definitely don't know UK lingo, as reporting to the head girl for a slippering sounds pretty good to me. Live and learn...
  14. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    11 May '12 00:41
    My maths is OK I just can't read..!!! Didn't realise that it was x% of wins and not x% of games.
  15. 12 May '12 08:38
    Originally posted by jankrb
    50% !

    Players are good at percentages or they are not. That's 1:2 =50%
    No it's not. Since it's written on a computer, that's supposed to be binary. So 1:10, not 1:2. Therefore only 10% of the players are good at percentages.