1. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:01
    The thing i hate about waitzkin is he was a prodigy.....who quit!!!

the kid played well....chess is easy for him.....but when he gets to 2200 he quits....

"oh...well now i have to play guys who are good?...no thanks..."

The guy was like 2000 rated at 1800 maybe even rated higher....but then hits a wall when he sees opponents who also have that same talent. waitzkin coulda been the next american champion....he quit when it got hard.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:05
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    [s]he quit when it got hard.
    happens to me all the time...
    😉
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 03:12
    no and he never will be.

He'd rather be dancing around like a fairy doing martial arts...

I'd like to see this waitzkin "expert" martial artist against some UFC fighters..

it's been proven time and again. UFC and PRIDE fighters destroy martial arts guys every fight.

The sight of waitzkin makes me vomit.
    Maybe ChessMaster would have been better off with GM L Christiansen durring or after his match with ChessMaster. I am sure that Joshua Waitzins is a fine player and his IM title was obtained vs international tournament play was it not? Perhaps you do not like him for personal reasons?
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 04:30
    I also think I could kick Waitzkin's ass. Im not filled up with hate for the man or anything, but what the hell is push hands champion? Sounds like some weak form of patty cake. MMA is really boxing and wrestling with some jiujitsu submissions thrown in. There is not a lot of eastern martial arts in MMA.
  5. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 04:44
    thank you! finally someone who knows MMA like i do.

push hands champion? NOW I REALLY HATE HIM!!!
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 04:47
    thank you! finally someone who knows MMA like i do.

push hands champion? NOW I REALLY HATE HIM!!!
    if you would have said they aren't eastern martial arts guys I would have agreed in an instant but saying they aren't martial arts guys at all is where I have to draw the line.
  7. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 04:52
    They take the best moves from many forms.

but in the end they are boxer/wrestler/with some submission moves thrown in.

I just don't think guys should preach martial arts.....it leads kids down a road where they get there ass kicked by a boxer....
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 07:03
    This topic obviously wasn't about martial arts. But what is so special about the UFCs? I've seen it on TV a few times and it looked pretty pathetic. They were on the ground grabbing each other's balls and hugging almost the entire time.
  9. Happy village
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 08:551 edit
    no and he never will be.

He'd rather be dancing around like a fairy doing martial arts...

I'd like to see this waitzkin "expert" martial artist against some UFC fighters..

it's been proven time and again. UFC and PRIDE fighters destroy martial arts guys every fight.

The sight of waitzkin makes me vomit.
    Damn, martial arts do not have same scope as this bestiality sports. He do not train it for being able to destroy someone's internal organs, martial arts can be much more. Accent is on self-defence not on getting drunk and kill someone.

If he wants to be world martial art champion instead of 1st ranked on FIDE list, that's perfectly fine, it HIS will not ours. And his tutorial go much deeper in chess than most of us will ever play.

Why we always have to comment on other people life? His life is obviouslly succesfull make of yours whatever you like so you will have less time and will to comment others, it is always like that.
  10. Happy village
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 09:02
    waitzkin is preaching this "harmonious whole" crap.....

what that loser doesn't understand is this.....we want chess.

we don't want gay ass martial arts(i'm a boxer and powerlifter and i always make fun of martial arts guys and none have said anything back.)

we don't want harmony and peace and to be "one" with the universe crap.

all i can s ...[text shortened]... s a waste.....it should have been done on a kid who might actually win the championship.
    Why do you feel the need to make fun of someone? Why you aren't on television fighting on UFC if you are so clever?

You should pass once more chessmaster tutorials, or some other, doesn't matter instead of making fun of people, so you could arrive at so desidered 1800. Because 1400 is still far even from idiot like josh. 🙄
  11. Toronto
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 11:091 edit
    I don't think Josh ever mentioned he could kick anyone's butt with his martial arts. Martial arts aren't all about kicking someone's ass. A good deal of it is mental discipline(something a few people on this board apparently need), building confidence and in Josh's case with his chosen field, it's a a great meditation tool. And we can't really fault him for pursuing something impractical, since we probably get that accusation all the time ourselves for studying chess.
  12. Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 11:38
    Originally posted by clarencecuasay
    I don't think Josh ever mentioned he could kick anyone's butt with his martial arts. Martial arts aren't all about kicking someone's ass. A good deal of it is mental discipline(something a few people on this board apparently need), building confidence and in Josh's case with his chosen field, it's a a great meditation tool. And we can't really fault h ...[text shortened]... actical, since we probably get that accusation all the time ourselves for studying chess.
    Mr Waitzkin studies Tai Chi Chuan...if there is some(poor) guy who still thinks the main aim of this art is kickin' somebody ass I suggest that he sure need to surf the net to find more infos before writing...
  13. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 11:50
    Thats odd, I couldve sworn this was a thread about Chessmaster the game rather than martial arts..... cant you muscle heads go to a martial arts forum to mentally flex your muscles and ego?
    I am actually interested to hear about the game more than this and more than waitzkin.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 12:341 edit
    [b]The thing i hate about waitzkin is he was a prodigy.....who quit!!!

the kid played well....chess is easy for him.....but when he gets to 2200 he quits....

"oh...well now i have to play guys who are good?...no thanks..."
    Waitzkin became an IM at 16, at 21 he was rated 2480. Perhaps he decided that was as good as he was going to get.He certainly didn't get there by playing weak people.

http://www.ishipress.com/us-fide.htm
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 12:54
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Waitzkin became an IM at 16, at 21 he was rated 2480. Perhaps he decided that was as good as he was going to get.

http://www.ishipress.com/us-fide.htm
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with Sam Sloan's history, but I would have supplied a link to Waitzkin's Wikipedia entry instead of linking to Sam's web site. Imho, it's a disservice to RHPers to promote anything related to Sloan, even if only indirectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Waitzkin

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree