1. Joined
    27 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 09:53
    Computers are slowly but surely solving the game of chess. At some point we will know a forced draw for many deep opening lines.

Whether this kills chess or not, I don't know. I expect computers will make people switch to chess960 or something.

At some point chess has to be made more difficult.
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 10:02
    Originally posted by Prometheus4096
    Computers are slowly but surely solving the game of chess. At some point we will know a forced draw for many deep opening lines.

Whether this kills chess or not, I don't know. I expect computers will make people switch to chess960 or something.

At some point chess has to be made more difficult.
    But do you think that if computers find a forced draw humans will be able to remember the lines?
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 14:25
    Originally posted by vipiu
    But do you think that if computers find a forced draw humans will be able to remember the lines?
    At the top levels, they're already showing the ability to remember lines 25 moves deep. the question becomes if people can remember (or solve on their own) the variations.
  4. Big D
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 15:35
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    ...Would it bother you if engines completely dominated chess? Do you think it hurts chess? How realistic do you think my fears are?
    No -- in effect, it would be the same as a foot race between men and a horse. Would anyone bet against the horse? Probably not. The same is true for computers vs. GMs in a chess tournament. I'm guessing your fears come from viewing chess as a metaphor for artificial intelligence or AI. Interestingly, only Western nations seem to have a fear of intelligent robots. Japan seems to have embraced the concept and is hurtling down the path to a Terminator-type future where there will probably be both good robots and bad ones -- just remember, though, it took a man to create them.
  5. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 08:48
    Originally posted by erice1
    computers always play the same way.. after a few games you can win against them. They're really worthless in a chess tournament since you have to assume the top players have already won against them as a 'warm up'..

The only time I 'fear' a chess program on-line is when its a low-level player and I move 10-15 times before I realize I'm playing a machine.. then I have to work hard..
    HAHAHA
  6. back in business
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 08:54
    Originally posted by Lolette
    HAHAHA
    Don't laugh, he have never set foot in a chess club and he was losing like a beginner only a few months ago. You missed that thread which was deleted.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 09:08
    Originally posted by Lolette
    HAHAHA
    How ironic that he considered computers trash yet let them play his moves. 😉
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 10:451 edit
    Originally posted by erice1
    The only time I 'fear' a chess program on-line is when its a low-level player and I move 10-15 times before I realize I'm not very good.. then I have to turn on my engine..
    Fixed.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 12:23
    Originally posted by ludz
    You are a liar as kaspy can calculate 5 positions per second. You can probably do 5 positions in 5 hours without the analysis feature.
    You are dense, it was obviously a joke, dummy.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 12:253 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    the vast and complex knowledge reached by computer analysis is not really transferrable to human brain. we simply can't retain the information of millions of calculations. it takes years and years of hard work to master even the basic general principles, which makes it completely ludicrous to think computers would drastically change the way we can understan itional knowledge will dominate even more over long & complex maze of fritzed variations.
    I heard that our brains have more...I don't remember the word, I will post it when I remember...than computers but humans just don't use their full potential. Humans use something like only 10%, or maybe lower, of our brain potential.
  11. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 12:28
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I heard that our brains have more...I remember the word, I will post it when I remember...than computers .
    well apparently not more memory ;-)
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 12:31
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    well apparently not more memory ;-)
    I don't remember..It was something that I didn't believe so it might be memory...I will have to find the article again.
  13. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 12:33
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I don't remember..It was something that I didn't believe so it might be memory....
    you're just entertaining me now aren't you???

[ again ;-) ]
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 12:37
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    you're just entertaining me now aren't you???

[ again ;-) ]
    I said, "I heard", I didn't say it was true or that I believed it. I was just putting it out there.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 12:40
    This isn't the same article but it talks about the brain having 100 million MIPS and IBM Deep Blue only having 3 million MIPS.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C001501/the_saga/compare3.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree