This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 14:18
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I said, "I heard", I didn't say it was true or that I believed it. I was just putting it out there.
    I think you may have missed the point.

I was making a jokette about me saying it wasn't memory (which itself was also a wry comment) and you saying you couldn't remember whether if it was memory or not.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 14:23
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    I think you may have missed the point.

I was making a jokette about me saying it wasn't memory (which itself was also a wry comment) and you saying you couldn't remember whether if it was memory or not.
    Aha 🙂 sometimes I am just a bit dense 😳
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 14:27
    Aha 🙂 sometimes I am just a bit dense 😳
    No worries ... I'd thought you were being very witty.

In the end we're all happy (apart from Erice1 of course)
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 15:571 edit
    I heard that our brains have more...I don't remember the word, I will post it when I remember...than computers but humans just don't use their full potential. Humans use something like only 10%, or maybe lower, of our brain potential.
    Yep, I heard that too. However, there is no research supporting this and everything so far suggests that it is false. It doesn't make much evolutionary sense either. Why would we evolve an organ as metabolically expensive as the brain if we use so little of it?
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 16:04
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Yep, I heard that too. However, there is no research supporting this and everything so far suggests that it is false. It doesn't make much evolutionary sense either. Why would we evolve an organ as metabolically expensive as the brain if we use so little of it?
    I do know that the human brain, if it didn't need to function for the senses, breathing, moving, keeping the heart beating, and emotions would be far more capable than computers even in the calculation department...but human brains are more like a general processor where computers normally function for a limited set of things.
  7. Joined
    20 Apr '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 16:18
    The day a computer creates a human I will be impressed, until then they are just another dumb machine!
  8. Joined
    27 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 17:321 edit
    If 90% of your brain is active at the same moment you will die from an epileptic attack.

All your neurons can't be firing at the same time. That's not how the brain works. You will only have like 10% of your neurons active at a moment, I assume that is a correct number and the basis of this myth. But that doesn't mean one uses only 1/10th of their brain and is only at 1/10th of their potential.

Dormant mental powers can't exist because they can't evolve. And the problem is even more fundamental than the one addressed by exigentsky. Evolution works through mutation and selection. An organ or system can only evolve when each mutation that contributes to it is in itself an advantage. That way these mutations will be selected and add up to something.
  9. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 18:371 edit

10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 18:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yeah, I never said it was true...I said that I had heard this.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 18:56

12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 18:58
    I do know that our brain efficiency is some low percentage when it comes to specific and complex tasks because we are distracted by emotion, senses, breathing, hear beating, moving...etc etc.
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 19:00

14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 19:04
    Yes, exactly! The brain...thats why we aren't efficient when it comes to memorizing complex yet specific things...and why humans just can't calculate like computers.
  15. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 19:061 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree