1. Joined
    27 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 19:19
    We can't calculate like a computer because we evolved.

Able to calculate the fifth square root of 1453.12 is not a skill that made us better at surviving and spreading our genes. Therefore, a gene that gives this ability is never selected.

Our brains do pattern recognition.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 20:29
    Originally posted by Prometheus4096
    We can't calculate like a computer because we evolved.

Able to calculate the fifth square root of 1453.12 is not a skill that made us better at surviving and spreading our genes. Therefore, a gene that gives this ability is never selected.

Our brains do pattern recognition.
    Well, some savants can. Kim Peek is a good example. He was the basis of the film Rain Man.
  3. Joined
    27 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 02:24
    That's because those people have a disability and calculating is much much easier than doing something like recognizing a face.

As is shown by our computers simulating it.
  4. Dublin
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 12:20
    So the conclusion is that if we didn't have to keep these stupid bodies alive, we'd be much better chess players. 😠
  5. Joined
    27 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 15:031 edit
    If people that have the greatest chess mind, regardless or training and practice, reproduces a lot more and that goes on for a long time, then yes.

If you do a 20,000 year long eugenics project where kidnap a bunch of children from chess GMs, or otherwise great natural chess talents, test who have the best inherent chess ability and make the elite of the elite reproduce, then repeat with their offspring over and over again, then yes. You will get much stronger chess minds.

We have to adapt our pattern recognition skills, our limited calculation and memorization abilities to chess. This takes a lot of training. Like how chess GMs learn to adapt their face recognition systems to recognize chess positions.
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 15:13
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I heard that our brains have more...I don't remember the word, I will post it when I remember...than computers but humans just don't use their full potential. Humans use something like only 10%, or maybe lower, of our brain potential.
    http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 15:25
    This isn't the same article but it talks about the brain having 100 million MIPS and IBM Deep Blue only having 3 million MIPS.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C001501/the_saga/compare3.htm
    Sometimes it's helpful to consider the source of information and the credibility of the author.

From the thinkquest.org FAQ:

"The ThinkQuest Library is a world-renowned resource for educational sites and web-based lessons created for students, by students."
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 17:47
    I said, "I heard", I didn't say it was true or that I believed it. I was just putting it out there.
    This may be off topic, but I think I remember hearing that cows have the greatest leaping ability of any animal on Earth. I'm not saying it's true or that I believe it. I'm just putting it out there. Hold on, let me try to find the source...

Found it:

http://www.dltk-teach.com/rhymes/heydiddle/index.htm

😀
  9. Joined
    26 Sep '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 05:48
    Originally posted by exigentsky

Chess won't be solved and it will certainly still be considered a draw with best play but the opening moves will be played with far greater accuracy than ever before and deviations will be punished more severely at high levels. A large part of the mystery will be gone and the scope for creativity diminished. This may lead to perhaps only several dozen open ...[text shortened]... will essentially disappear because after all it is just a distortion of the reality on the board.
    I think these concerns are unnecessary. Even if chess is 'played out' and that is debatable - there are tons of chess variants out there - some of them just chess with extra pieces on a bigger board.
    How does this help? Well for starters there is a limit to how much a human can learn and familiarize with. It would be quite hard for humans to learn the opening variations in larger chess games.

For example in this game:
    http://chess.computerwebservices.net/insane.php

There are just two new pairs of pieces on a large 104 sq board.

Sure the new super computers will come up with the best opening variations but how much of this can the human learn?

Perhaps in the near future the current chess game might be gone but a another very similar game now called fairy chess can take its place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree