1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 19:18
    Originally posted by Tigran P
    Nf3 is the best move because many strong computers such as chessmaster 10 000, and Rybka, think that Nf3 is the best move possible.

I think its good, because it brings out a piece, while controlling the central dark squares. Nc3 is worse because it tempts black to dominate the center with pawns.

HOWEVER... If you like 1 f4 1 e4 or 1 c4 or 1 Nf3, than play the opening that suits you.
    Sorry, but that has to be some of the stupidest reasoning ever. Its better because X says it's is better. I guess if I ask X, it will say it's better because Y says it's better. There's a great justification!

First of all, these programs do NOT list Nf3 as the best move. Rybka and chessmaster consider e4 to be best. Although, in the first few hours, Rybka does think d4 is best. Second of all, chess programs are not advanced and knowledgeable enough to be trustworthy this early in the opening. This is why they have opening books! The positional knowledge of computers is still vastly under master level chess.

Anyway, I think that 1. e4 1. d4 1. c4 and 1. Nf3 (perhaps others too) are equal in terms of result. Given best play, I'm sure either is a draw. With that said, 1. e4 is probably slightly better, or at least more immediately challenging, followed by 1. d4, 1. Nf3 and 1. c4. It's really preference unless you play something irrational like h4.
  2. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 19:30
    Originally posted by kmac27
    what is better? it seems one side says e4 is better because white is able to quickly get to safety by castling. so what is the best move? i've heard from several players who were rated up near the highest say e4 is the best for white and the best reply is e5. hmm just something to argue about and i'd like to see some good comments to get a better footing on what i play.
    Which do you prefer, tea or coffee?
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 19:56
    Originally posted by demonseed
    Which do you prefer, tea or coffee?
    I preferred tea until I heard of the Indian who drank too much of it and drowned in his tee-pee.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree