d4 or e4

d4 or e4

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
24 Jul 07

Originally posted by kmac27
lol. once i hit 1500 i made it my duty to beat all the people who had beaten me. i soon said screw that after i sloughtered a few and proved my dominance over those who beat me ;-). i have looked at some old games and looked at the moves i made and i would not in a million years play those moves again. lol amazing how the brain evolves.
More impressive is that it does evolve.

k

washington

Moves
24 Jul 07

how so you learn from your mistakes. some are better than others. i thought i learned fast till i heard about others on this site hitting 1700 within a year!

z

Moves
24 Jul 07

how so you learn from your mistakes. some are better than others. i thought i learned fast till i heard about others on this site hitting 1700 within a year!
I haven't improved in about 2 years 🙁

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
24 Jul 07

Generally, I think 1.e4 is for players who like open games and 1.d4 is for those who like closed games. I feel that if you like tactics, play 1.e4; if you like strategy, play 1.d4.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
24 Jul 07

play both....mix it up a bit.....

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
24 Jul 07

I never read any articles about Alekhine saying.."I only play 1.e4"

or Capablanca preaching 1.d4...they played many openings...

v

Moves
25 Jul 07

I do not think performance is how fast you can reach some rating. I think performance is how strong you are when you are at peak. I would prefer to gain only 100 points/year but not to stop before 2400 🙂.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
25 Jul 07

Originally posted by wormwood
Game 1405439
Lol. Great comeback! 😛

TP

In Gradpa's basement

Moves
25 Jul 07

Originally posted by davaniel
I disagree, I've been playing 1. Nf3 a lot lately in my games with white, especially against the higher rated opponents, and got some very nice and agressive position out of it. 1. d4 and 1. e4 aren't the only good possibilities...
Nf3 is the best move because many strong computers such as chessmaster 10 000, and Rybka, think that Nf3 is the best move possible.

I think its good, because it brings out a piece, while controlling the central dark squares. Nc3 is worse because it tempts black to dominate the center with pawns.

HOWEVER... If you like 1 f4 1 e4 or 1 c4 or 1 Nf3, than play the opening that suits you.

A
Dark Matter

Maastricht

Moves
26 Jul 07

There's these basic options:
- e4
- d4
- c4
- Nf3
- g3
Next to that there's these more rarely played and slightly less strong but more surprising options:
- Nc3
- f4
- b4
- b3
- d3
The other opening moves are not good enough to consider playing.

1. e4 is the most active opening, played by Anand and Kasparov, the best reply for GM's is c5 but in normal play e5 seems to do just as well or maybe even better.
1. d4 is played sometimes by World Champion Kramnik, and it's slightly calmer than 1. e4, but it requires decent middle and endgame skills.
1. c4 I don't really know that well, but it is certainly a decent opening, and can be quite agressive as well as e4. That's probably why Fischer played it sometimes.
1. Nf3 is the transposition opening, resulting in either positions from 1. d4 or 1. c4 openings, and sometimes even different openings. Pretty solid but requires a respectable amount of opening knowledge.
1. g3, King's fianchetto played by Dutch GM Van Wely to win the Dutch championship is a calm opening that you should play if you really really like the fianchetto position.

The other openings require a lot of knowledge and will only give you an edge against players who are not really good and don't know the opening. For choosing I recommend what suits you best, and note that 1. e4 has the biggest variety of answers possible, so it requires the most opening knowledge, but being the most active start, it does give you something in return for your hard work. Good luck!

j

Moves
18 Sep 07

In the current world championships in mexico there has been three opening systems used with e4, ruy lopez, scotch and petroff.

kramnik has used Nf3 but has transposed into the catalan with an early d4.

All the rest have been d4 games, slav, qgd, qi, greunfeld.

It's interesting that there hasn't been a single semi open game yet.

P.S. some great master once said that you cannot master chess until you master the ruy lopez.

g

Moves
19 Sep 07

In his "Logical Chess: Move by Move", Irving Chernev wrote (I'm paraphrasing): "If you play chess to win, play 1 P-Q4, if you play chess for fun, play P-K4 (or P-Q4)."

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
19 Sep 07
1 edit

1.Nf3 1.d4 and 1.c4 mostly end up in a similar middlegame where white isnt trying too hard to win but more to restrict black from doing anything for as long as possible.

1.e4 is the bravest choice by white as you have to be able to deal with e5 systems, sicillians, pirc, queens indian, scandinavian, caro kahn, french, phillidor, alekhine plus a whole load of other stuff.
d4 type games always tend towards roughly the same type of middlegame and it is only through white innacuracies that black gets back into the game.

G

Moves
19 Sep 07

Basically, it's preference!

e4 is not called open or half open for nothing! It gives you openings that are more tactical in nature, while closed opening give you a much more positional game.

g

Moves
19 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex

1.e4 is the bravest choice by white as you have to be able to deal with e5 systems, sicillians, pirc, queens indian, scandinavian, caro kahn, french, phillidor, alekhine plus a whole load of other stuff...
Minor quibble: The Queen's Indian is a defense to 1 d4: 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 b6.