1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 03:49
    Originally posted by idioms
    I forgot all about QGD .. I don't think I've played it in years. Very solid .. very dull 😴
    And that's what's wrong with it.
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 04:31
    Ditto. One order of extra lame, coming up. Oooohhh delicious...
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 04:45
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I've analyzed the Benko and Bennoni but came to the conclusion that it's not for me at this time. Any other players I should watch for the Grunfeld?
    Fischer games maybe?
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 05:59
    Kasparov and Kramnik had some battles in a couple of critical lines in their matches. (Kaspy was black)
  5. Joined
    03 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 08:23
    Pirc every time for me (starting with either 1. ... d6 [or g6]) ... same fight for the initative from the start as the KID but with your opponent likely to know 99% less about the opening! 😉
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 08:39
    I'm getting good results with the Benoni. eg Game 2364640.

Only 1 loss as black so far and 6 draws from 18 games as black so far and the loss was due to an elementary blunder
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 08:47
    KID!
  8. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 11:41
    Queen's Gambit Accepted is the only way to go. Not only does it give black good breathing room, it usually doesn't shut down the board like so many d4 openings, it has an easy to understand stratagy pattern and what is more it usually freaks out lower rated players who have been indoctrinated with the "taking the pawn is bad" school of thought.

The only downside is that you really need to know what you are doing.
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 14:54
    If you're familiar with the Nimzo, you can make an easy transition to the Black Knights Tango!
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_opng_shrtcts/archive.html
    has a 4 part series on it by Joel Benjamin.
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 15:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    KID!
    I played the Kings Indian before switching to the Benoni just recently. I enjoyed but the Benoni is getting better results.
  11. USA
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 23:12
    I'm a balanced player but hate playing without initiative or at least decent attacking prospects. I'm currently using the Queen's Indian(sometimes Bogo)/Nimzo Indian vs d4 but have found it sometimes too drawish. I'm considering the Grunfeld, but know next to nothing about it. How would you guys rate this opening? Is it sound? Any information is appreciated. 🙂
    I'm a weak player, so it probably isn't because of the opening, but I've noticed that I always seem to get a cramped position with the Nimzo-Indian(as black).
  12. USA
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 23:13
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I played the Kings Indian before switching to the Benoni just recently. I enjoyed but the Benoni is getting better results.
    I love the play against the Kings Indian. I find it easy to play against.
  13. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 23:21
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I'm getting good results with the Benoni. eg Game 2364640.

Only 1 loss as black so far and 6 draws from 18 games as black so far and the loss was due to an elementary blunder
    This is my problem generally in chess. I have no idea what a Benoni is, but looking at this game I am sure I have played this opening many times.

the opening jargon is mind numbing.

I like this type of opening. I don't know how this is different from the sicialian dragon and who knows what other opening, but that's why I am at my current level.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 17:52
    I'm a balanced player but hate playing without initiative or at least decent attacking prospects. I'm currently using the Queen's Indian(sometimes Bogo)/Nimzo Indian vs d4 but have found it sometimes too drawish. I'm considering the Grunfeld, but know next to nothing about it. How would you guys rate this opening? Is it sound? Any information is appreciated. 🙂
    Super-GM Marovovich scored excellent results with the Tchigorin Defense (1 d4 d5 2 c4 Nc6!?). It usually leads to an exciting game with excellent winning chances for both sides. It's an excellent choice if as Black you're in a "must win" situation.

I am aware of at least two repertoire books that advocate the Tchigorin for Black: 1. "An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player, 2nd ed.", by GM RayKeene and IM David Levy, and 2. "Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings: Black" by IM Gary Lane.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree