1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 16:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Can you cite a single case where a website that has utilised a disclaimer has been held liable for and prosecuted for the external content of links on its site by its users posting in online forums? You say it happens, where is your evidence?

First of all you do not need to have an automatic replay feature, this renders your assertion that they w ...[text shortened]... t a retro site form the 90's with no forum enhancements, meanwhile the rest of the net moves on.
    No, I did not say that it had happened (I've no idea), I said it depends on what the law says.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 19:48
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I think YouTube links might be OK, with the following precautions taken:

1) Videos don't ever play automatically. They all start with a black screen and a play button. The audience can decide if they want to view the video, given the reputation of the person posting it.

2) The default setting is just to show the YouTube link. If people want embe ...[text shortened]... and we handled him fine. The same can be done with anyone who posts inappropriate video content.
    can you do do something with greasemonkey and javascript that allows those who have it to run the scripts and enhance the forum or does it need to run server side?
  3. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 20:361 edit
    can you do do something with greasemonkey and javascript that allows those who have it to run the scripts and enhance the forum or does it need to run server side?
    With JavaScript you can change EVERY page element to ANYTHING. As I am sure you know since you seem familiar with the term greasemonkey.

Theoretically speaking. you could have red blinking crosses in every post wich says specific words.

Embed youtube links to make them clickable sure, why not. BUT !

I guess that RHP is written as a standalone PHP application. If it is very complex (relatively speaking) with lots of OO-classes and inheritance perhaps making it alter things to your liking would be difficult. The PHP application was not build with these considerations in mind...

There are no "standard" ways in doing things with OO elements. Only more or less hackish ways. Ask 10 different people and you get 5 different versions of the "right way to do it".

Think of a post as a DATA STRUCTURE. Then you can alter the fields in due structure.

But !! It would become a mess. Don't do it !! Why? Perhaps look at CPAN and the PERL programming language. There you find MODULES, other peoples code. You can use them in your own code as you seem fit. By adding complexity you get lost in code and so on. What I am trying to say is that THE PRINCIPLE OF BUILDING A SUCCESFUL - PERL CPAN MODULE - is> Don't listen to people trying to get you to alter your module. It makes the module useless. A good module is one with COHERENCY. Things that are easy to understand. Don't mix things. It adds to the complexity. It will make the code implode to a black hole. You can't understand things because they have become complex. Then you have to start over from zero.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 22:58
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    With JavaScript you can change EVERY page element to ANYTHING. As I am sure you know since you seem familiar with the term greasemonkey.

Theoretically speaking. you could have red blinking crosses in every post wich says specific words.

I guess that RHP is written as a standalone P ...[text shortened]... can't understand things because they have become complex. Then you have to start over from zero.
    Re. the last paragraph. Yep, doesn't matter what language it is that's a familiar programming experience.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '15 23:02
    Originally posted by bikingviking

I guess that RHP is written as a standalone P ...[text shortened]... can't understand things because they have become complex. Then you have to start over from zero.
    Dude i learned to program when cobol and pascal were legitimate languages and the Pentium 2 was state of the art! My programming is limited to HTML5 and CSS3 with some javascript for functionality, but not much and I taught myself just enough to build a very basic websight. Perl is beyond not only my ability, but also my will.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 01:45
    Yes, I could do a GM script that allows embedded videos.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 08:121 edit
    Yes, I could do a GM script that allows embedded videos.
    it would be visible only to those who had greasemonkey also.
  8. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 14:001 edit
    Yes, I could do a GM.
    Good for you.

😛

Seriously, the forum part of this website is fine as it is. Many people desire a simple structured layout without an explosion of functionality. For them, the goal is simple text-based discussion. Having smileys (very useful to avoid misunderstanding of intentions, especially humor, irony, sarcasm) and chess boards (indispensable on a chess website) is more than enough.

I use chessatwork, because the layout doesn't scream that much at me.
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 15:03
    Originally posted by tvochess
    Good for you.

😛

Seriously, the forum part of this website is fine as it is. Many people desire a simple structured layout without an explosion of functionality. For them, the goal is simple text-based discussion. Having smileys (very useful to avoid misunderstanding of intentions, especially humor, irony, sarcasm) and chess boards (indispensable on a ...[text shortened]... e) is more than enough.

I use chessatwork, because the layout doesn't scream that much at me.
    When you post as often as rabbie -more than 45000 posts so far - you don't have the time to highlight the link and click 'open in new tab' 🙂
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 15:49
    Good for you.

😛
    I don't know what your problem is. I was specifically asked the question. Unlike you, I'm not rude, so I answered it. 🙄
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 15:50
    it would be visible only to those who had greasemonkey also.
    Yes. That, as always, is the major downside. Only a handful of people can be bothered to take the time to install browser extensions.
  12. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 19:32
    Hey Biggdogproblem,

you may have missed the joke. Have a look at the quote in my post.

I have no problems whatsoever with you, and didn't mean to be rude at all.

(Just when I was thinking smileys like these 😛 indicate well enough when something is intended as a joke... maybe we do need extra features on this forum)

Have a nice day!
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '15 19:44
    Hey Biggdogproblem,

you may have missed the joke. Have a look at the quote in my post.

I have no problems whatsoever with you, and didn't mean to be rude at all.

(Just when I was thinking smileys like these 😛 indicate well enough when something is intended as a joke... maybe we do need extra features on this forum)

Have a nice day!
    Oh. Like you quote only half my sentence, and thus change its meaning. Har. Har. Har. 😞
  14. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 09:331 edit
    I guess I have played OTB chess, ICC chess, the USCF USChess Live chess, chess.com chess, Pogo.com chess, the Former Yahoo chess, and for all I know, other chess besides chess on RHP.

Personally, I like RedHotPawn for correspondence chess because it allows me to learn while playing and analyze my play before I move. Perhaps, they are the best features that I have as a non-paying player.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 12:05
    Yes. That, as always, is the major downside. Only a handful of people can be bothered to take the time to install browser extensions.
    Or upside, to those of us who actively choose not to over-burden our computer and our own attention with bells and whistles.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree