1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 05:58
    or immortal game or chessatwork ? or other sites?
  2. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 07:01
    it's highly addictive. better than other addictive things.

IT DOES require QUITE A BIT OF TIME.

If I could have more time I would do like Alekhine did in his corr games, analyze all in my head. Now I want things to move quickly so I use the analyze board.

I play in orchestras as well as jamming with other people, playing my music. I feel I need both chess and music to be hole as a person but. If I had to choose one of them I'd chose music any day of the week.
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 07:20
    Originally posted by woadman
    No. I like some of the discussions here. This site has potential but it is definitely not the cream of the crop.
  4. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 08:211 edit
    Of the mirror sites, I use Redhotpawn. Sometimes when someone asks me which site I play on, I tell them chessatwork.com, just to avoid the raised eyebrow expression I sometimes get when saying RHP.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 10:49
    I've been on this site for 11 years now. I've always enjoyed it. I'd say Russ has done quite well in competing with other sites that hire an armada of programmers.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 11:172 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I've been on this site for 11 years now. I've always enjoyed it. I'd say Russ has done quite well in competing with other sites that hire an armada of programmers.
    it works. Probably the greatest and most innovative site is lichess.org, new features and ideas are being added all the time. chess dot com is broken, it functions but is so buggy and its almost impossible to penetrate their bureaucracy. I find that simple forum features like the ability to include a clickeable URL or post a youtube video, introduce graphics are severely lacking at RHP. RHP is like a retro site from the early nineties.
  7. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 11:47
    The best features are for full members.

I was full member and I liked the ladders, sieges, tournaments etc.

I played in other site called itsyourturn.com and they allow tournaments for the free members.

here in RHP free members has very few features.
    -
    now lichess.org is ok in blitz and chess variants but the correspondence version is very poor.

chess.com allows 'clans' for free members and many simultaneous games, here in RHP are just 6 .... and has cheaters controls, so my rating there is better than here

now I found some people here very friendly....

and the forums are very cool
  8. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    it's highly addictive. better than other addictive things.

IT DOES require QUITE A BIT OF TIME.

If I could have more time I would do like Alekhine did in his corr games, analyze all in my head. Now I want things to move quickly so I use the analyze board.

I play in orchestras as well as jamming with other people, playing my music. I feel I need ...[text shortened]... to be hole as a person but. If I had to choose one of them I'd chose music any day of the week.
    Yes everyone likes music..I used to listen to Led Zeppelin and Guns & Roses, and Pink Floyd
  9. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 14:04
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    No. I like some of the discussions here. This site has potential but it is definitely not the cream of the crop.
    I'm surprised to hear it isn't in the top 20 of chess sites. What other features are you looking for ?
  10. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 14:05
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Of the mirror sites, I use Redhotpawn. Sometimes when someone asks me which site I play on, I tell them chessatwork.com, just to avoid the raised eyebrow expression I sometimes get when saying RHP.
    That's funny..I always log on under TheImmortalGame...I like the colors better than the others.
  11. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 14:081 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it works. Probably the greatest and most innovative site is lichess.org, new features and ideas are being added all the time. chess dot com is broken, it functions but is so buggy and its almost impossible to penetrate their bureaucracy. I find that simple forum features like the ability to include a clickeable URL or post a youtube video, introduce graphics are severely lacking at RHP. RHP is like a retro site from the early nineties.
    I just started a new tournament on Chess.com ..the players there are much less "chatty" . Chess24.com is great for up to the minute news and tons of videos for paying members. I check into 2700chess.com daily to check the ratings..they have the split-tails rating list, too. And links to live streams..
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 14:48
    I don't think that it's technologically difficult to provide clickable links, Russ could probably provide a tag which works like this:

[url]text="click on this" url="www.nastysite.org"[/url]

the problem is the possibility that the site linked to could have all sorts of nasties. Lists of undesirable sites are always incomplete as internet fraudsters and virus distributors get new URL's. I think not supplying them keeps Russ's legal life simpler. Also, every now and again someone starts a thread saying "Don't play here, play on this site instead." and Russ isn't going to be excited about providing them with a link.

I think it's a positive attribute that YouTube videos can't be included in forum posts. It saves on download time and the dratted thing won't automatically start playing. I'm happy with the number of features, there's a lot of merit in keeping it simple.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 15:14
    Good. I'm here to play chess, not Facebook.
  14. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 15:18
    That's funny..I always log on under TheImmortalGame...I like the colors better than the others.
    Question: What were the other two RHP sites called. Don't remember myself.

HEADER COLOR ; LIGHT BLUE .... name 1?
    HEADER COLOR ; GREEN .... name 2?

-------------------

While we are on it. Header color for due sites are;
    RHP - RED
    Play the immortal game - DARK BLUE
    Chess at work - BLACK

There are to my knowledge two more "interfaces". To this "Chess Site Machine" called RHP. Which I have personally tested.

(I think they were abandoned because certain things, i.e, conditional moves, did not work on due sites).
  15. Joined
    27 Feb '15
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 15:561 edit
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    Question: What were the other two RHP sites called. Don't remember myself.

HEADER COLOR ; LIGHT BLUE .... name 1?
    HEADER COLOR ; GREEN .... name 2?

-------------------

While we are on it. Header color for due sites are;
    RHP - RED
    Play the immortal game - DARK BLUE
    Chess at work - BLACK

There are to my knowledge two more "interfaces". To ...[text shortened]... they were abandoned because certain things, i.e, conditional moves, did not work on due sites).
    timeforchess.com is the green theme. redhotchess.com is another, but its theme is very similar to redhotpawn.com

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree