Do you play RHP while at work?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

Moves
29 Dec 09

IC

Moves
29 Dec 09

Originally posted by richardcjennings
No, I work at work. 😕
It's what they pay me to do, slacker. 😠

h

Moves
29 Dec 09
2 edits

I have to admit I play at work.

It keeps my mind sharp for when I actually work.

A good chess game is hard work itself, of course.

l

Portland, ME

Moves
29 Dec 09

This question begs us to ask "What is work?" Is work an avocation or is it just the coarse prostitution of one's time for currency?

Perhaps that's too general. Maybe work is - in its purest definition - actual actions performed at a job site.

However, as much as I prevaricate I come to the same conclusion:
Yes, On Red Hot Pawn I play
when I should recognize the pay
I am given for an eight hour day.

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
29 Dec 09

Oh God yes, the Immortal game site is the only way around our Admin, everytime my slave driver informs me of the need to work extra hours my answer is of course yes sir three bags full sir................Numpty!!!

z

Moves
29 Dec 09

Nope, though only because it's blocked. 20+ minutes to relink the kernel when trying to meet code cutoff = a very bored programmer.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
30 Dec 09

Yeah...I do. And it's cost me a lot. I've lost many games this way. I always advise people to set up there board, and search for there next move with a real chess set. Too bad I don't follow my own advise!😳

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
30 Dec 09

Hell yes. It's the only thing to keep the mind from going numb during the day.

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
30 Dec 09

RHP is blocked for us. So I have a fellow friend in our club who works right beside me. We play a G15 blitz at lunch most every day. When work is slow, we use Ray Wilson's PGN viewer and just email the PGN back and forth. 🙂 Isn't it great working in engineering. 🙂 To somebody's point of "slacker". Our jobs ship early, our programs are tight, our quality is top notch, and if it's hard and impossible to machine. They bring it to us! The job comes first, the chess keeps us happy at work!
Eric

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
30 Dec 09

Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
Isn't it great working in engineering. 🙂
Yeah - last engineering job I had, we held a tournament for employees - got about 20 players! Who says working with nerds is a bad thing?!

Current job used to have stuff like that, but the company seems to have stamped it out, and yes, they block RHP, too.

F

Moves
30 Dec 09

Once my boss came into my cubicle and asked "Fabian, I've heard of your success about the Connor contract. Would you like to consider to be sales manager in the foreign sales departement? 40% raise in pay, and your own designated parking spot by the entrance, how would that sound?"

I answered "Please wait, I think I have a mate going somewhere, if you just give me a minute..."

Now my parking spot is at the back part. I have a small bike in my trunk so I can get to the window cleaners locker room quite easily. What the heck, my pay check allows me to have cheese sandwiches to work, who needs the cantina anyway? My whife doesn't appreciate a good chess game so she stays over at my neighbour during some nights while I'm analyzing some positions really deep. Tomorrow I will have a discussion with my bank man, wonder if he likes chess?

Did I find the mate? Yes, in five moves! I'm happy!

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
30 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Once my boss came into my cubicle and asked "Fabian, I've heard of your success about the Connor contract. Would you like to consider to be sales manager in the foreign sales departement? 40% raise in pay, and your own designated parking spot by the entrance, how would that sound?"

I answered "Please wait, I think I have a mate going somewhere, if you nk man, wonder if he likes chess?

Did I find the mate? Yes, in five moves! I'm happy!
......what else is there? 🙂
Eric

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
30 Dec 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Yeah - last engineering job I had, we held a tournament for employees - got about 20 players! Who says working with nerds is a bad thing?!

Current job used to have stuff like that, but the company seems to have stamped it out, and yes, they block RHP, too.
We are currently planning a large tournament in April. Going to have a rated open, rated reserve, and several non-rated sections for those who aren't USCF rated. Including different children's classes. We are very excited about it. You can find us at USCF site..... Indiana, Symmetry Medical Chess Club. 🙂
Eric

A

Moves
30 Dec 09

I tried but my forklift's onboard computer doesn't link to the internet :'(

r

Moves
30 Dec 09

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I don't consider myself a "slacker". I get my work done and no complaints from my boss. Sometimes I do get a bit flustered if I have a lot of games running out of timebank, but otherwise I move when I can. Sometimes I'll give myself a "reward" for doing a chunk of work and then reward myself with 5 mins or so on RHP. Keeps me happy =)

Happy New Year everyone!