Do you think...

Do you think...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
02 Jun 07

Do you think you should always play peopple better than you MIGHT get better?

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
02 Jun 07

Originally posted by musicismyworld
keep mixin it up.. lower rated for confidence, higher rated for learning, equal for both fun, confidence and learning... obviously you know which type of opponent I prefer 🙂

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
02 Jun 07

If you already have the basics including a few white & black openings then the simple answer would be that the better the opponent then the more you stand to learn

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
02 Jun 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
keep mixin it up.. lower rated for confidence, higher rated for learning, equal for both fun, confidence and learning... obviously you know which type of opponent I prefer 🙂
yep lower rated to boost your ego

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
02 Jun 07

Originally posted by Mctayto
If you already have the basics including a few white & black openings then the simple answer would be that the better the opponent then the more you stand to learn
.. meaning don't play Mctayto

m

Moves
02 Jun 07

I think you should play both higher and lower rating people so you get a little bit of everything

L

Moves
03 Jun 07

who cares music we all now whos the best player on here its Akizy

k

washington

Moves
03 Jun 07

just because someone is the best at something does not mean you cannot get better at it. many people are professional athletes but many still play the game.

m

Moves
03 Jun 07

I agree with you kmac27

M

Moves
03 Jun 07

If your reason for playing is to become a grandmaster, play ONLY better opponents and analyse EVERY game played.

If your reason for being here is fun and entertainment, play people 200 or 300 points both up and down, enjoy yourself and don't look at your own rating too often - it's not an accurate guide to your playing ability in an online-chess situation because you each have different outside influences, family, school/work, interruptions etc.

R

Moves
03 Jun 07

Absolutely. I've heard the optimal opponent is one who is one hundred to two hundred points better than you. That way it is someone clearly more skilled, yet at the same time not impossible to beat if you play at your best.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
03 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by MissOleum
If your reason for playing is to become a grandmaster, play ONLY better opponents and analyse EVERY game played.

If your reason for being here is fun and entertainment, play people 200 or 300 points both up and down, enjoy yourself and don't look at your own rating too often - it's not an accurate guide to your playing ability in an online-chess situation because you each have different outside influences, family, school/work, interruptions etc.
I have made some terrible moves because of those interruptions.

Wife Aren't you coming down to be sociable? You not still playing chess are you?
Me No, I'm trying to deal with those urgent correspondence from daughters school / ex-wifes solicitor / debt counseller (delete inapplicable).
sounds on stairs
Me Minimises RHP. Opens Word.
Wife Opens door. Looks in "Errm! You've just closed it haven't you? Hurry up, dinners on table" Goes out. Leaves door open. Hovers outside in hall / wash room / bed room (delete inapplicable).
Me Opens RHP. Makes 1st move that comes into head. Switches off computer.

60 minutes later
Me Must go and finish that letter.
Wife You'd better not play chess or you will be getting another divorce / no sex for a week / sleep in spare room / buying me that diamond ring we saw (delete inapplicable).
Me I promise I won't darling! Opens RHP. Looks at last game. Sees horrible blunder. Closes RHP in disgust. Goes to bed alone (doesn't feel like sex anyway after that last move).

L

Moves
03 Jun 07

everyone lets challenge musicismyworld to a game!!!!!!!!!!🙂😀😉😛😕😠😳🙁:'(😞😏😵😲🙄😴😴🙄😲😵😏😞:'(🙁😳😠😕😛😉😀🙂

m

Moves
03 Jun 07

The same for you LivingForJesus !!!!!!!!!!😛

m

Moves
04 Jun 07

Originally posted by Mctayto
Good advice within reason. On another site I kept getting challenged by a guy rated 600 points below me and he kept losing in under 25 moves. I can't imagine what he hoped to learn except that he couldn't get out of the opening without dropping a piece.