draw offer etiquette

draw offer etiquette

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
27 Jan 09

I know I don't have to accept a draw offer, but I just played a game where my opponent offered early (around move 15) and often. I messaged once that I'd like to keep playing but every couple moves the offer would pop up again. Which made me wonder if there is a certain etiquette for accepting or declining draw offers in relatively even games.

Moves
27 Jan 09

Generally speaking, its impolite to offer more than one or two draws that get turned down. Normally, if one of my opponents turns down a draw offer, I wouldn't offer one again for at least quite some time; I'd wait until he offers a draw instead.

Its pretty close to harassment to offer a draw every few moves. Its totally against the rules in OTB tournaments, for instance

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
27 Jan 09

It would be normal to either decline the first offer to draw a game with either a polite comment or no comment whatsoever,and then to make no further comment/s from any subsequent draw offers until either the game is concluded with a win and loss,or until such time as you may be willing to offer a draw yourself.If you do offer a draw later yourself and this is declined ,it would then be considered normal not to offer any further draws for the duration of the game,regardless of which side may or may not be in an advantaged position.-------😉

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Traveling Again
I know I don't have to accept a draw offer, but I just played a game where my opponent offered early (around move 15) and often. I messaged once that I'd like to keep playing but every couple moves the offer would pop up again. Which made me wonder if there is a certain etiquette for accepting or declining draw offers in relatively even games.
the usual response to harashment is to drag the game for as long as possible. if the guy didn't back up his draw request with iron clad analysis (or other reasons I'd happen to find reasonable), or acted even slightly disrespecting, I'd probably hit the brakes.

maybe it's possible that he's trying to claim a 3-move repetition, but doesn't know the rules for it properly?

Moves
27 Jan 09

Originally posted by Traveling Again
I've had this happen with one player in particular a couple of times. In one instance I was given multiple draw offers on a game that I had a significant material lead. Finally I asked him why he kept doing this and he got pissed off at me and threatened to drag the game out as long as possible. I replied to him that I did not mind if he dragged the game out and I was in no rush. He didn't come through on his threat and resigned soon after and offered congratulations.

There is some strange behavior that happens on this site.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
27 Jan 09

I offered a draw after seeing that we had locked pawns after an obvious exchange. The draw offer was declined.

Once we got past moving our queens around (13 or 17 moves of exchange I saw and neither having advantage) I made another offer.

They took it.

If anyone constantly offered me draws I declined, I'd welcome them to my ignore list.

P-

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
27 Jan 09

It happens OTB also.

I think the best thing to do if the game really isn't a dead draw is to ignore him and trash him.

Maybe he is offering a draw in a dead drawn position, eg K & 2N vs K or K & B vs K and hopes you will come to realise it is indeed a draw. In that case I could understand the repeated offers but I guess he has to convince you.

j

Moves
27 Jan 09

Although I find it not very polite to repeatedly offer a draw, I do not really care about it. My idea is that as long as I don't bother about it it will not frustrate me. Childish behaviour should never be encouraged, just ignored (calm).

The same applies to people who continue to play in a lost position. Sometimes I ask them, politely, if they would consider to not play until the inevitable. But if they want to play the game to the very end I respect this. I am no chesswizard, so I do not think that I should comment about how someone else sees the game. Perhaps the opponent just sees better moves than I do, or at the very least he (or she) sees moves that I do not. If someone is hoping for a stalemate, then it is up to me not to let the game finish in that manner.

In the end I think we should all try to play for fun and complaining about the opponent is not going to be very helpful in that process.