1. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 04:02
    I've been offered a few draws, but was reluctant and did not take them. I found that in every game where I was offered a draw, I ended up w/checkmate. Do any of you ever accept an offer of draw? Or do you forge ahead?
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 04:09
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    I've been offered a few draws, but was reluctant and did not take them. I found that in every game where I was offered a draw, I ended up w/checkmate. Do any of you ever accept an offer of draw? Or do you forge ahead?
    Draws are evil!
  3. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 04:23
    I will accept them if if the position is clearly drawn, or if my opp has played well and there doesn't look like much prospect for a win. It really depends on how much play there is in the position and on our relative strength as well.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 07:39
    I analyze the game a little bit deeper, and if I feel that my position is worse than his, then I accept.

Some positions are clear draws, then there is no analyzing about it.
  5. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 08:29
    I find I rarely get offered draws here, although when I do I will often have a bit of a further probe into the position to see why the offer was made.

It doesnt always work out, after all when you decline a draw offer you are effectively saying that you are wanting to win the game and can look rather silly if you dont.

In this game I was offered a draw on move 21 but declined it because I was uncertain about our other game. It actually turned out I won the other game but lost this one by a bit of a dodgy exchange sacrifice (although if I had not blundered my g pawn away it was probably quite a resonable position for me)

Game 4191177

So the advice is, if you decline a draw offer then you better be winning the game or it was a bad move.
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 08:352 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Draws are evil!
    Many draws are more interesting than games won due to stupid mistakes made by opponent.
  7. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 10:06
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    ... So the advice is, if you decline a draw offer then you better be winning the game or it was a bad move.
    I'm not so sure about this.

Declining a draw for the simple reason that you want to keep playing is perfectly reasonable.

Similarly, you might be a little bit better or clearly better but not necessarily winning - and again playing on is reasonable.
  8. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 11:58
    I like to play on, even if I am a bit worse. I think it is because I like endgames
  9. Earth
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 12:04
    Nigel Short summed it up most amusingly. "If your opponent offers you a draw, try to work out why he thinks he's worse off"
  10. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 01:18
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Nigel Short summed it up most amusingly. "If your opponent offers you a draw, try to work out why he thinks he's worse off"
    Absolutely! Yes, it seems to me that if you're offered a draw and you don't see impending stalemate, then don't take it! Your opponent is more than likely seeing their own position as inferior.

Thanks for everyone's insightful comments.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 01:24
    Originally posted by Korch
    Many draws are more interesting than games won due to stupid mistakes made by opponent.
    Oh I know that drawn games can be more interesting but I like to see games won by brilliant attacks not drawn after a bit of (interesting) manuevering.
  12. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 01:26
    Draws are evil!
    Draws are a comfy flannel blanket to curl up in. So warm, so inviting, so peaceful. Draws are your friend.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 01:29
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    Draws are a comfy flannel blanket to curl up in. So warm, so inviting, so peaceful. Draws are your friend.
    If draws were my friend I would have to have somebody slap me.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 01:31
    Draws are evil!
    you would think so, since draws will win this tournament for me...
    I can not believe you couldn't turn this Game 3 into a win!
    b4 was COMPLETELY unsound...
    I basically started out minus a b pawn...
    and I STILL DRAW!?!
    that's incredible...
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 01:34
    draws are a perfectly legitimate ending to a game. Just as a win or a loss.

If a position is equal, I accept a draw. If I'm winning, I don't. If i'm losing...well, I don't get offered one and I will never offer one myself.

I don't offer draws when I see a bad future for me, rather, I try to work my way out of it, it's good practice.

I usually offer draws against lower rated opponents when the tactics run out and I feel they will be able to hold equality for the remainder of the game. Against higher rated opponents, I usually do it midway through the midgame once I've achieved an advantage of a single pawn and the game is about to go to endgame, being as at that point, the best the other side can typically hope for is a draw.

And I agree with Korch, draws are sometimes the most interesting games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree