User 340422 is evil!
    User 340422 is spamer.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 08:473 edits
    Originally posted by kmac27
    I use to hate draws. Against higher opponents I usually didn't take them but often my skills were not up to par to beat them even with a superior position. [gid]3978702 [/gid] Game 4153171 these are the last 2 games I decided to take draws in. After further analysis I could have won in the galaxy shield game and in the dragon fire game I have no cl ...[text shortened]... nst lower opponents I will play the game out because they are more likley to mess up somewhere.
    I offered a draw in our game because I felt this was the most likely outcome bar a blunder from either side. When playing a lower rated player you do need to make a considered assessment on the likelihood of your opponent blundering but, in my opinion, you should not be relying on a blunder to win and where my opponent has played well I assume he will continue to do so.

In this game, I had a better Q-side and could have tried to make progress down the b file but I had concerns on the K-side and in particular the h file. If white could exchange off the h pawn, get his N to g6 and double up a Q and R on the h-file I could easily lose (if fact if I were to play gXh following NXh4 - Ng6 I am almost certainly lost and after white plays hXg then fxg leaves my pawns nasty and I probably have to play Bf6. I am tied up defending and can make little progress). I was also worried about his passed e pawn although I also had a passed pawn.

After looking at the position for some time I felt unable to create any realistic winning chances without creating "possibly" losing weaknesses. I also felt the time I would need to spend would be better spent on my other games.

I felt my opponent was possibly slightly better. So I offered a draw. It is interesting that Fritz seems to rate the final position as about .20 better for black but that is still drawing territory and would not have changed my decision. (to offer the draw).
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 14:24
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    User 340422 is evil!
    Please stop tooting your own horn. It's getting really old. In cases when the thread actually refers to the Dutch Defense, it's worth a chuckle the first time. When it's random mental masturbation like this, it's just plain trolling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree