Dutch Defense, Woadman Variation

Dutch Defense, Woadman Variation

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
04 Mar 15

Ok, I admit my 6...c5 isn't a real novelty because it was played in 1849. However, since I'm the player who has revived it and brought it back into the limelight, by putting so much new work into it, the variation should rightly have my name. So from now on 1. d4, e6 2. c4 , f5 3. Nf3, Nf6 4. Bg5, Be7 5. e3, 0-0 6. Nc3, c5 ! is to be known as the Woadman Variation. Thanks !!

W

Moves
04 Mar 15

I think I'm going to enjoy your presence here, woadman.

Moves
04 Mar 15

Originally posted by woadman
Ok, I admit my 6...c5 isn't a real novelty because it was played in 1849. However, since I'm the player who has revived it and brought it back into the limelight, by putting so much new work into it, the variation should rightly have my name. So from now on 1. d4, e6 2. c4 , f5 3. Nf3, Nf6 4. Bg5, Be7 5. e3, 0-0 6. Nc3, c5 ! is to be known as the Woadman Variation. Thanks !!
In that case, we might as well give it to data fly for unearthing the game from 1849....

Seriously, woadman. How old are you? Just give us the decade if you wish.

w

Moves
04 Mar 15

Originally posted by King Tiger
In that case, we might as well give it to data fly for unearthing the game from 1849....

Seriously, woadman. How old are you? Just give us the decade if you wish.
Hey, just trying to get credit where it's due....I'd be very glad to do the same for anyone else on RHP.

e4

Moves
04 Mar 15

Hi Woadman,

It would help all the players here if you gave the diagram.

Position after 6....c5 TN.

And the moves leading up to the TN. (see below) would also be good.

TN's can be named long after the move was first played.
Alekhine's Defence was played before Alekhine was born, the
same with the Nimzo-Indian and Nimzovitch. These are just two.
There are many others.

However the TN usually comes with the whole game.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
05 Mar 15
1 edit

"Limelight"? That is cute if you are a child, but if you are an adult, it is just sad.

The reason this variation disappeared after 1849 is because white's 4th move- 4. Bg5- is an inferior continuation that is rarely played.

It has only appeared a little over 300 times in the last 150+ years, and only a portion of those at the top level, because it is recognized to be inferior for white.

Horwitz laid the line to rest in 1849, and only low-rated players unfamiliar with the game have repeated it.

The only conclusion we can reach from your game is that you lack knowledge of chess history, and do not have access to a reasonable database.

If you are a child, you can be excused for making a naive and inaccurate reference to a "novelty" known to the rest of the chess world for over 150 years. However, if you are an adult, you should be ashamed for making a false and silly claim that is nothing more than intellectual plagiarism.

There is also the possibility that you may be unfamiliar with the Dutch in general, as the ...c5 theme occurrs repeatedly in a variety of Dutch lines, so it is a common suggestion among kibbitzers in chess clubs all over.

e4

Moves
05 Mar 15
3 edits

No reply to what happened next.

I know, I'll analyse it....

😉

Mozart

liverpool

Moves
05 Mar 15

Exactly how far are you up your own backside Woadman. Next you will be telling us that you were on carlson,s World Championship team.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by greenpawn34

[pgn]
[FEN "rnbq1rk1/pp1pb1pp/4pn2/2p2pB1/2PP4/2N1PN2/PP3PPP/R2QKB1R w KQ - 0 7"]
7. Ne5 Kh8 8. Qh5 Ng8 9. Ng6 {Is that what happened?} [/pgn]

😉
Thanks Greenpawn. I know have a foolproof win in my repertoire.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by steve45
Exactly how far are you up your own backside Woadman. Next you will be telling us that you were on carlson,s World Championship team.
Didn't you know?

Here's a line I did invent in the Dutch, although the chances of it happening are sufficiently remote that I may as well post it here. It's perfectly possible that this has been played, I'm not claiming to be the first person to spot this, but I am claiming to have thought of it myself. It's not on my database but could, for all I know, have been published somewhere.

If white plays an early c4 then I like to go into Nimzo-Dutch lines, partly because the positions one reaches tend to be better, and partly because of a trap I spotted. To understand the trap I need to show a trick white has. The following game was played between Wall and Reyes in San Antonio in 1992:

Although black should probably not have resigned, it costs white two pieces and in the other three games on my database black took on h4 (smashing white's kingside pawns) and held on for a draw. So, this is white's trap, now for my idea:

No one's fallen for it yet, but I live in hope!

w

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by greenpawn34

[pgn]
[FEN "rnbq1rk1/pp1pb1pp/4pn2/2p2pB1/2PP4/2N1PN2/PP3PPP/R2QKB1R w KQ - 0 7"]
7. Ne5 Kh8 8. Qh5 Ng8 9. Ng6 {Is that what happened?} [/pgn]

😉
My game so far.....1.d4, e6 2. c4, f5 3.Nf3, Nf6 4. Bg5, Be7 5. e3, 0-0
6. Nc3, c5 7. Be2, Ne4 8. Be7, Qe7 9. Qc2 , Nc3 10. Qc3 well I guess it's sort of even chances now. I've castled, but lagging behind in getting pieces off their home squares....my 6...c5 is still playable...

w

Moves
05 Mar 15

My game so far.....1.d4, e6 2. c4, f5 3.Nf3, Nf6 4. Bg5, Be7 5. e3, 0-0
6. Nc3, c5 7. Be2, Ne4 8. Be7, Qe7 9. Qc2 , Nc3 10. Qc3 well I guess it's sort of even chances now. I've castled, but lagging behind in getting pieces off their home squares....my 6...c5 is still playable...
ok I decided on 10...b6 to get my Bishop out

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Mar 15

ok I decided on 10...b6 to get my Bishop out
I thought you got your bishop out when you played 6 ... c5! 😉

The King of Board

Solar System

Moves
06 Mar 15

I have never played this oppening, maybe is time to learn something new. I'll go to try this Woadman system.
-
Maybe I'll won some games and increase rating

e4

Moves
09 Mar 15

"My game so far.....1.d4, e6 2. c4, f5 3.Nf3, Nf6 4. Bg5....etc"

Ah, never knew it was a G.I.P. from another site.

Perhaps wait till you win it before claiming the TN. It might backfire
and you may not want your name associated with it.

Look at poor Damiano. He advised strongly against playing 2....f6.

But because he was the first to do so his name got stuck onto it and
now loads of people think he played it and he was a poor player.