Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 20 Aug '07 15:27
    Hi I am quite a newbie here... I am wondering about the following

I have a pawn
    At the first move, I can move it either one or two squares, and I know that.

But can I move it one square forward then eat diagonally an enemy pawn (or rook, or whatever) kind of like the horse does with its L shaped move?

Thanks for any reply
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Gonzalo de Córdoba
    20 Aug '07 15:32
    Originally posted by numerotre

I have a pawn

But can I move it one square forward then eat diagonally an enemy pawn (or rook, or whatever) kind of like the horse does with its L shaped move?

Thanks for any reply
    no.
  3. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    20 Aug '07 15:37

I have a pawn

Thanks for any reply
    Not in a single move... you may want to read up on the rules, there are special rules for pawns, but what you are thinking of isn't one of them.

Pawns have a special move they perform when they get to enemy territory. Find the rules of en passant.

P-
  4. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    20 Aug '07 15:38
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    no.
    and before you ask you cannot move it diagonally 2 squares either.
  5. Subscriber duecer
    anybody seen my
    20 Aug '07 16:03

I have a pawn

Thanks for any reply
    No, and wanna play a game?
  6. 21 Aug '07 05:31

I have a pawn

Thanks for any reply
    You can capture diagonally with the pawn on the next move. It's quite interesting that you notice this connection between the moves of a pawn and a knight. An arguably simpler way to descibe the knight move to a beginner is to say one square in any straight line direction (forwards, backwards, sideways) followed by one square diagonally left or right moving away from the start square.