Engine cheats - How should we approach them?

Engine cheats - How should we approach them?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Nov 12

What if the site admins created an account which uses an engine in all its games. Anyone who beats the account gets banned. The engine it uses should be strong enough to beat any grandmaster, but not quite strong enough to beat other modern engines. Of couse the identity of the account would have to be kept secret.

Just an idea.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
20 Nov 12

Originally posted by KnightStalker47
What if the site admins created an account which uses an engine in all its games. Anyone who beats the account gets banned. The engine it uses should be strong enough to beat any grandmaster, but not quite strong enough to beat other modern engines. Of couse the identity of the account would have to be kept secret.

Just an idea.
The thing is that it's not inconceivable that a human could take a game off fritz in correspondence. If Kramnik had had three days per move in his match against fritz he would probably have won..

e4

Moves
20 Nov 12

Hi Mike.

Only a handful of examples....?

RJ has shot himself in the foot so often he has no toes left.
He's now on his knee caps.

Remember that one in the 'Tired' thread he posted:

"........but he never said which one [computer] I was using."

And putting himself forward as a mod is just hilarious.

It's not case of using a thief to catch a thief, it's a case of the
lunatic being in charge of the asylum.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
20 Nov 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Mike.

Yeh, the moderator bans himself and we go another 5 years without any game mods.😵

e4

Moves
20 Nov 12

All the athiests will get booted first, then he will ban himself.

V

Moves
21 Nov 12
1 edit

Interesting idea, although sooner or later someone will notice that it plays very much like an engine and cry out "blatant cheat!" And then when it doesn't get banned... 😉

On a more serious note, I guess genuine players want to play less engines and not more.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Nov 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Mike.

I bet you think you are funny. However, there is nothing funny about being harrassed with accusations of cheating and lying and threats of being banned. My reputation has been tarnished by all these actions and all you want to do is make fun of it.

u
semper fi

Moves
21 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I bet you think you are funny. However, there is nothing funny about being harrassed with accusations of cheating and lying and threats of being banned. My reputation has been tarnished by all these actions and all you want to do is make fun of it.
Your repuation has been tarnished by your own actions, not others. You know what you have done. The quicker you own it, the faster you might be able to save what little dignity you have left on this site.

u
semper fi

Moves
21 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
We all lie. So that is nothing new under the sun. If I leave someone else you don't like will just replace me. So learn to live with it.
If you leave someone else I don't like will definately replace you. It would probably be YOU starting up another persona. Chances are I wouldn't like him either. I bet you might get creative and name him HJRinds...

e4

Moves
21 Nov 12

"I bet you think you are funny. "

You are the one having a laugh RJ.

You must admit you have brought a lot of this on yourself. You know how
rabid the pack get when they smell silicon. You have attracted a lot of attention
to yourself.
I've already posted somewhere that I don't want to see you banned.
I don't think they will, so unplug the box and just play Chess.
It's what you did 30 years ago and by all accounts you were not too bad.

Moves
21 Nov 12
1 edit

USMC7257, Are you saying "RJHinds" is one of the many "Syythetic Brian"/ (Engine you guys call it) user ? I don't think, he is. He is simply a talented and strong correspondence chess player.
Question to you.. Before you accused any player, Do you truly understand how Engine works and behave in any chess game??

u
semper fi

Moves
21 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by jcmessy
USMC7257, Are you saying "RJHinds" is one of the many "Syythetic Brian"/ (Engine you guys call it) ?
I don't the guy is an engine user. That's an attack and insult. I think He is simply just of the many strong correspondence Chess player here.
Question to you.. Do you understand how Engine works and behave in any chess game??
I am saying its already been PROVEN. How is that an attack? Call it stating the obvious if you will.

As far as my understanding of how engines behave in chess games, I know enough to get myself into trouble. Anything I say to state my case would probably be ripped to shreds by the chess gurus. I am fairly confident I could pick some games out, but not even close to 100 percent. I know my limitations. I also know that if I want to improve my rating, it will require hard work. I would never use silicon to give off the impression that I am a stronger player than I really am.

I use this forum as a means of education. I take in what I can, and give an effort to understand the things that are out of my scope of thinking.

Moves
21 Nov 12

We really cannot stop someone from using Engines. But the real question is...
Who gonna learn real chess lesson @ the end?

P.S. If I will encounter another engine user next time.
I will exposed that game so for the viewers to look at it. like the link below.

Game 9159004

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Nov 12

Just an idea.
But then everyone would complain that that account was cheating and nobody does anything about it, and we'd be right back where we started.

Moves
21 Nov 12
1 edit

Find a game of your own. And expose it like the guy
who prove it to me, on this link. Game 9159004
Notice his strength.. This kind of play and rating strength
don't match. Now That's an Engine User.. Game 9159004
You have to show proof of experience before accusing someone.
That's not good and very unethical when you don't have a proof like the one
I have here...