English Players

English Players

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
06 Jun 07

I just started playing the English and I'm currently working through the book Starting Out-English. Does anyone know of any GMs who excel with this opening?

i

Moves
06 Jun 07

no habla engles

i

Moves
06 Jun 07

you could try the upper levels of the gamesexplorer...

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
06 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by searcy1977
I just started playing the English and I'm currently working through the book Starting Out-English. Does anyone know of any GMs who excel with this opening?
Kramnik, Kasparov, Korchnoi, Carlsen etc.

A

Moves
06 Jun 07

You may find the following thread helpful.
Thread 69586

s

Moves
06 Jun 07

thanks all.

g

Moves
06 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Korch
I don't think that Kasparov played it more than a few times. The legendary GM Wolfgang Ulhmann played it often. Howard Staunton was the first great player to play it regularly. In fact, the opening is named after the nineteenth-century unofficial World Champion from England.

A

Moves
06 Jun 07

You shouldn't play with the English; they aren't to be trifled with. 😛

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
06 Jun 07

The leading exponent was probably Kramnik hower he used to play it through a 1.Nf3 move order and play Queen's Gambit against 1.Nf3 d5 and KID against 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 playing an eventual d4. However Kramnik now usually plays 1.d2 2.c4 or 1.e4 and only rarely plays 1.Nf3

I don't really know of any top GM who regularly employs the English however as I feel it doesn't fight for the initiatve enough.

g

Moves
06 Jun 07

If one is interested in playing the English Opening "dynamically", then the book to read is, of course, "The Dynamic English" by GM Tony Kosten. He generally recommends the Botvinnik Formation, which sees pawns on c4, d3, e4, and g3. The knights go to e2 and c3. The KB goes to g2. I think that there is some flexibility with the placement of the QB.

t

Moves
06 Jun 07

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
If one is interested in playing the English Opening "dynamically", then the book to read is, of course, "The Dynamic English" by GM Tony Kosten. He generally recommends the Botvinnik Formation, which sees pawns on c4, d3, e4, and g3. The knights go to e2 and c3. The KB goes to g2. I think that there is some flexibility with the placement of the QB.
I'd agree with this. The Starting Out book gives a good overview of the opening but I find it difficult to grasp the various concepts as the scope for transposition is very big. Kosten's Dynamic English is a repetoire book. Rather than trying to figure out for yourself which variations you could play which you would need to do with McDonald's book, the Dynamic English has done all the research for you.

k

washington

Moves
06 Jun 07

tony kostens book is a good reference. it gives very good examples of the major positions such as bottvinniks possition. it pays very close attention to the main variations and helps with the side variations. there is one variation in which it gave a better idea on how to play after this variation. c4 e5 Ng3 Nc6 Bg2 Nf6 Nf3 Bc5. this variation it tells how to brunt the bishops attack lane with e3 but it only gives 2 games in which one of them was an all out attack on the kingside. i probably didn't put enough time in learning it though i mainly skimmed through it. its a reperatoire book and i would suggest getting it. it explains the principles and how to go about each structure. its the best english book i could buy. after playing e4 and c4 though im liking the positions from the english that transpose to d4 openings such as the slav. all in all i suggest the book hope this helps.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Jun 07

You missed a great name, Botvinnik. Rememeber you history, son.

Original poster: Check the Pete Tam. Lectures

http://www.chessclub.com/chessfm/

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
07 Jun 07

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
I don't think that Kasparov played it more than a few times. The legendary GM Wolfgang Ulhmann played it often. Howard Staunton was the first great player to play it regularly. In fact, the opening is named after the nineteenth-century unofficial World Champion from England.
I would advice you to check databases, before making such kind of claims.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
07 Jun 07
1 edit

I would advice you to check databases, before making such kind of claims.
Thou shalt not shilly-shally!

--- Nimzowitsch

How about providing some helpful advice instead of putting ppl down. So he is wrong, show him why instead of blah blah blah.

Here you are:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explorer?pid=15940&side=white