1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 19:31
    Originally posted by ludz
    Where is he going to get a rating if he has never set foot in a chess club? You should have read the other thread.
    Is it just me that finds it improbable that a player rater 2300 has never set foot in a chess club.

It seems those players who resort to engines do not realise how good 2300 really is and how much time and effort it takes to get there.

2300 is a seriously strong rating and players at that level are in a different league to the rest of us mere mortals. They do not make a series of inferior moves in any games, not ever, although being human they can have the odd lapse and do make the occasional silly blunder. Such blunders are usually careless tactical errors not fundamental strategic errors and certainly not the latter in the opening.

Strong players on realising their error will usually resign instantly and do not play on making increasingly pointless moves. Computers do that.
  2. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 19:35
    Originally posted by Katonah
    And why doesn't anyone ever suspect Weyerstrass or Akizy of engine use?
    Because both of these people have defeated the most blatant of engine users. And Weyerstrass has been a strong correspondence player longer then engines have been this good.
  3. Joined
    20 Apr '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 19:53
    because engines wouldn't do this? You have proof of this from your own engine use? Because Weyerstrass is a current IM does not mean he is immune from engine use? Topolov's latest game at Corus had him employing engine alnalysis 12-15 moves deep though this comp anlaysis proved faulty 🙁 Stop accusing others and start doing your own hard work. Chess, as Kasparov said is "Mental Torture" It is and that is why the highest rated her haven't the time to discourse your arguments, they are studying, fretting, working out the win. If I wasn't drugged with Percocet with a popped tendon I would be studying too but then the board would be cloudy 🙁
  4. Standard membercludi
    Blogger
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 20:05
    I have a couple questions regarding accusations and banning.

1. If you say this is the most blatant use of engines; are you employing an engine yourself to prove your forum bluster? It would appear that the vast majority here that cry engine use are users themselves?

2. Does RHP have any system, and it doesn't, to associate analysis time here? What I a ...[text shortened]... concerned with getting on with the game and the mechanism of making moves and playing chess!
    1) I don't think erice1 was the most blatant engine user in RHP history. Not even close. On the other hand, there's no doubt he was cheating.

2) Info about the amount of time used with analysis board is completely useless and would prove absolutely nothing. The only thing that really matters is the moves actually made.

3) Engine use can be proved!

4) Subscribers actually pay to be able to play other humans online. If they cannot be sure to play humans they might as well play against Fritz and save the subscription.

5) I'm not sure if there are relatively fewer higher rated players posting in the forums. Remember, that only 0.8% of all active users are 2000+
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 20:08
    i fail to see the connection between a 2300 rating, and a player who's never set foot in a chess club.

these two statements cannot reflect one man.
    and now that we have heard the arguments for weyerstrauss (who is obviously legitimate) does anyone have any games of akizy giving
    an engine a lesson off hand?
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 20:17
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    and I believe Fat lady was told off only a few days ago for implying such a thing.

I don't think those who jumped to the defence of ih8sens will be quite so quick off the mark this time but [b]erice1 is clearly innocent
    . There has been a grave miscarriage of justice. 😉

Very unusual play for an aspiring 2300 in Game 4118337 and pretty str ...[text shortened]... of the B could have simply been a careless oversight (which happens to players at all levels).[/b]
    I was told off, by a lot of people, and called a dick and whatnot.

SO! The ass kissing can start RIGHT NOW.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 21:17
    Originally posted by cludi
    I can tell you that you're dead wrong here. erice1 was investigated long time ago and the "chess club thread" was therefore not part of the evidence against him.

I understand your frustration and I feel very much the same way as you do. But still admins have to balance things between quick action and certainty that a user is actually cheating beyond reasonable doubt.
    C'mon on, Cludi; are you saying it's a coincidence that ONE DAY after that thread was started and removed that erice1 got banned???? Pleeze.
  8. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 22:461 edit
    I have a couple questions regarding accusations and banning.

1. If you say this is the most blatant use of engines; are you employing an engine yourself to prove your forum bluster? It would appear that the vast majority here that cry engine use are users themselves?
    One doesn't need to be an engine user (I myself am not) to know a person doesn't go from zero to 2200 in four months by legitimate means.

One doesn't need to be an engine user to know a person who claims his incredible playing strength is due to his ability to remember all his games - a fallacy common amongst inexperienced and non-players but known to be rubbish by people who've played legimately for any length of time (regardless of their strength).

Your inability to marshall a logical argument leads me to suspect you may in fact be Kerry Katona(h).
  9. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 22:55
    Originally posted by ludz
    Is it you or someone who looks like you who had offered him a space in your chess club based on his phenomenal results in the deleted thread?
    It's a real shame that thread got deleted.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 22:55
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    One doesn't need to be an engine user (I myself am not) to know a person doesn't go from zero to 2200 in four months by legitimate means.

One doesn't need to be an engine user to know a person who claims his incredible playing strength is due to his ability to remember all his games - a fallacy common amongst inexperienced and non-players but ...[text shortened]... ility to marshall a logical argument leads me to suspect you may in fact be Kerry Katona(h).
    I don't know about the remembering part. While he exaggerated, it's not out of the question. I remember a good deal of my OTB games (unless the play doesn't make sense to me because it's a weird opening or weak player). It is based more on logic than pure memory. For example. I can't recite the whole game by rote but I can reconstruct almost the entire game with a board. I can't do the same for blitz or RHP because I don't use as much time to think about the position and imprint it on my brain. However, I just started some new games on RHP and I will analyze more deeply so maybe this will change.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 23:02
    They say that there is a strong connection between memory and the ability to play at the highest levels...I have also heard tell of B. Fischer(in his prime mind you, not at an old age) remembering positions after only a split second look and I have heard tell that he memorized most of his games(some have said all of them but I can't bring myself to even give this a chance at being anything but a farse)
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 23:25
    if memory has nothing to do with it....every time you "remember" to look at the other players aggression to in turn find the "best move" or every time you "remember" how to pin a piece, or fork a piece, or hidden check, or double check somebody...you'd have to re-reason it...obviously their is memory...that is what practice is about

practice beats talent, if talent doesn't practice. make no mistake about that.
  13. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 23:28
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    They say that there is a strong connection between memory and the ability to play at the highest levels...I have also heard tell of B. Fischer(in his prime mind you, not at an old age) remembering positions after only a split second look )
    that's exactly the point ... good players remember salient features of positions not games as such.

There was some stuff on this in the Polgar documentary ... that got a mention on these boards before.

erice1 was claiming he could move very fast because he played countless games and he remembered them all so didn't have to think when the (exact) same positions arose.
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 23:301 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I don't know what was going on with the two of them, but I love this "GEM"

Game 4553009
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 23:32
    I posted on the deleted thread. At the time, I was willing to give erice1 the benefit of the doubt and noted that he listed his location as "Eureka" (USA nationality) and I suggested that if he desired to find stronger opponents that he might have to travel to a bigger city where there are more likely to be stronger opponents and bigger chess clubs. He posted a few hours later and responded to some of the other posts with something like "I guess internet chess players aren't so friendly after all". At first I thought he had just overlooked my post, but then I noticed that he no longer listed his location. After seeing that, no longer do I give him the benefit of the doubt and seeing this thread merely confirmed my suspicions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree